heritage center channels

jgatty

Which would sound best for the center and surrounds with my Belles, chorus 2 or cornwall 2, and would there be a big drop off with forte 2's? Can I lay these on their sides without modification?

By the way, if anybody knows where to find a single speaker of any of the above or would like to split a pair for centers, I would like to know.

Thanks,

JG10.gif

I would say none of your choices are ideal, the series II on most of those speakers used a Tractix horn except the Cornwall II and they will not blend that well with the Belle. You need a La Scala or third Belle for the best possible match up front. Better choices for rears would be Heresy's (original version), the original Forte' and Chorus would also work well. The original Cornwall, La Scala's or Belle's would be the best of the best choices for the rear. Sorry I believe in the no compromise approach to HT as taught by HornEd & Qman.

Sorry, Jgatty, but the Heritage Cool Freeze is on target when it comes to making the most of PWK's finest efforts. The difference between the Belle and the LaScala is minimal... with a slight edge in audio going to the LaScala and a big boost in WAF going to the Belle. Both were designed as centers for the archetypical signature Klipschorns.

But, in his wisdom, PWK realized the space and price issues that potential Klipsch lovers might have... so he continued to make speakers to be used as centers for "three-channel stereo" as devised by Bell Labs. PWK's concepts were not influenced by multi-channel music other than three-channel stereo (which he had in his own home - Klipschorn:Belle:Klipschorn - until the day he died.

If you are really tight for space and want a three-channel stereo rig, try a Heresy in the middle of the Belles. For a better sound, use three Belles for the timbre-matching. That also provides a potential for finding a large enough room... and a Heritage deal... to pick up another pair of Belles or a pair of Klipschorns to have a 5.1 Heritage system that can be made to do two or three channel stereo, multi-channel music and the better part of an all monopole DVD environment.

The more you build a system around identical speakers, the greater latitude you have in fitting today's joys into tomorrow's opportunities. And remember, on this forum, there's more than maple syrup that comes from (brrrr) Vermont in the (double brrrrr) spring! -HornED

PS: LaScala (53 Hz) and Belle (54 Hz) are short on bass (compared to a Khorn's 32 Hz) so an all LaScala/Belle HT system definitely needs quality subwoofer help... and I am looking at a custom subterranean subwoofer that is fully horn loaded for the Heritage Theater currently in the works at my place. -HornEd

I agree with Frozen.

I would stay with the Exponential horns and avoid Tractix in between your Belles. Of your choises in your post, the Chorus 1, Cornwall 1 or 2 would work great. Also please consider a third Belle. Three Belles would look and sound absolutely AWESOME1.gif

JM

Definitely, a third belle would be ideal if it would work with your video display. but a heresy might be a good option. If you must use a horizontally oriented speaker, an Academy might be the best bet.

For surrounds, the issue gets a lot thornier. What works best is directly related to what you are listening to an how it was recorded. For video, matrixed, and "audience perspective" multi-channel music recordings, I think your options are wide open. My choice would be heresy's, at least partly for asthetic reasons, with RS7's arguably being a better choice on pure sonic grounds. But with SACD and DVD-Audio recordings that place instruments and voices hard in the surround channels, then I have to agree with the crowd, that only identical speakers all the way around could be termed ideal. IOW, 5-7 big ol' belles!6.gif

----------------

On 3/5/2004 11:06:43 AM HornEd wrote:

Sorry, Jgatty, but the Heritage Cool Freeze is on target when it comes to making the most of PWK's finest efforts. The difference between the Belle and the LaScala is minimal... with a slight edge in audio going to the LaScala and a big boost in WAF going to the Belle. Both were designed as centers for the archetypical signature Klipschorns.

But, in his wisdom, PWK realized the space and price issues that potential Klipsch lovers might have... so he continued to make speakers to be used as centers for "three-channel stereo" as devised by Bell Labs. PWK's concepts were not influenced by multi-channel music other than three-channel stereo (which he had in his own home - Klipschorn:Belle:Klipschorn - until the day he died.

If you are really tight for space and want a three-channel stereo rig, try a Heresy in the middle of the Belles. For a better sound, use three Belles for the timbre-matching. That also provides a potential for finding a large enough room... and a Heritage deal... to pick up another pair of Belles or a pair of Klipschorns to have a 5.1 Heritage system that can be made to do two or three channel stereo, multi-channel music and the better part of an all monopole DVD environment.

The more you build a system around identical speakers, the greater latitude you have in fitting today's joys into tomorrow's opportunities. And remember, on this forum, there's more than maple syrup that comes from (brrrr) Vermont in the (double brrrrr) spring! -HornED

PS: LaScala (53 Hz) and Belle (54 Hz) are short on bass (compared to a Khorn's 32 Hz) so an all LaScala/Belle HT system definitely needs quality subwoofer help... and I am looking at a custom subterranean subwoofer that is fully horn loaded for the Heritage Theater currently in the works at my place. -HornEd

----------------

1.gif

Center Ch reply to Forum.txt