Processor help!

mamacmil

I just got the email...My new References are in!! I'm going to pick them up this afternoon. What am I picking up? Well, I'm glad you asked:

Pair of RF7s

RC7

Pair of RS7s

Pair of RB75s for rear duty

(all but the RSs are Cherry)

Since the basement room won't be done for a quite a while, I'm going to be forced to leave either the RS7s or the RB75s in their boxes for awhile. The wife says only 5.1 in the family room8.gif

Anyhow, I have a Parasound 1205a to power the 5, but I still need a processor. I've been thinking about it for quite awhile, and I keep landing at the Outlaw 950 or the Rotel 1066. The one thing that bothers me about the Rotel is that it only has 2 optical inputs. I need at least 3. Cost is definitely a concern, and whatever I end up with needs to come in at no more than $850. DPLIIx would be nice, but neither of these processors have it. I wish I knew when Outlaw was adding that feature.

Any other suggestions on processors or experience with the 950? I need to make a decision soon. I can't bare to think of the new 7s just sitting there idle.9.gif

I heard a rumor that outlaw is going to be ccoiming out with a new updated pro, around the fourth quartor of this year. I like the rotel a little better in that price range. It is quiter. The outlaw is good for the money also but I realy like my pro to be silent.

There isn't much out there in that price range. I think what ever you find you will have to compromise a little.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use the 3802.... It was a warmer sound with the Klipsch products and was pretty happy.

Only downside is I HATED the way it operated. Yamaha, and Sony much easier... Yamaha even had a center EQ which was great for HT too.

As for the Denon after a long time with it, and final adjustments punched in.. it worked great. (Always start with AMP on the remote..something they did not say till like page 40 something in the manual to change ANY thing.. (thus my big fat F for easability too.)

Hope that helped.

Denom AVR 3803 should be fine as a processor. But keep in mind, it does not have the latest Dolby PLIIx. Personally i would not shop for a used unit for a pre/pro, because if you have separates, your processor will be probably the most frequently upgraded unit due to new functions/features. 3803 is still relatively new and has a host of unique useful features. For example, Sub level boost for external analog 5.1 inputs.

I have a question to the forum in my turn. I was thinking of upgrading to separates as well. My question is: when I buy a separaate amp(s) and use my 3803 as a pro, will the amplification stage in the receiver still be activated? I dont think there is any option in the setup to turn the amps off. If so, should there be any concern about it? We seem to prefer to disable even video circuitry in receivers for cleanest possible audio playback (Pure Direct Mode on 3803), but with the receiver's amps still working, would this negate all the benefits of going separates? Just curious and wondering if the whole idea of using a receiver as a pre/pro is meaningful.

----------------

On 3/15/2004 1:37:59 PM TauRus wrote:

I have a question to the forum in my turn. I was thinking of upgrading to separates as well. My question is: when I buy a separaate amp(s) and use my 3803 as a pro, will the amplification stage in the receiver still be activated? I dont think there is any option in the setup to turn the amps off. If so, should there be any concern about it? We seem to prefer to disable even video circuitry in receivers for cleanest possible audio playback (Pure Direct Mode on 3803), but with the receiver's amps still working, would this negate all the benefits of going separates? Just curious and wondering if the whole idea of using a receiver as a pre/pro is meaningful.

----------------

I don't know of anyway to disable the amps in the 3803. However, I am using a 3802 as a Pre/Pro to front a B&K Reference 200.7 amp. Unfortunatly, I don't know of anyway to disable the amps in that either, although it would be nice to selectively turn them off (i.e., still using one pair to power a second set of surrounds).

However, that being said, it is still definitly worth it to upgrade to an outboard amp and use the Denon as a pre/pro. I noticed a very distincted difference going from the reciever's own amps to the B&K amp. The bass just seemed so much more powerful and well defined. The clarity and detail is just absolutly stunning. I am still, to this day, amazed at the quality of the sound, and it has almost been 6 months since I've gotten it.

Steven, thank you for sharing your experience. Looks like I need to leave my doubts behind and start actively looking at the amps. I dont want to steal this thread any further, will probably post a separate thread regarding a few amps I have thought about so far.

The Rotel 1066 is very nice - and as already noted - very quiet! There are only 2 optical, but I think there are 3 Coaxel inputs (if I recall correctly) giving you 5 digital inputs. A recent chain here seemed to concluded that coaxel was at least equal to, but likely "better" than, Optical. The unit also has analog inputs for SACD and DVD-A. It was very easy to set up - more intuitive than many others I've seen. Finally, I read some mixed reviews on the universal remote it came with, but I now run all my components with it and it works really well - no complaint from me.

Good luck!