OT: well i just did something stupid

Ou8thisSN

I went on ebay, and placed a bid for something, before I read the item description. Its refurb and I dont want it, so i emailed the seller. He didnt get his reserve met, before I came along anyway. Is there anyway I can back out of this without consequence?

Is the auction already over? If you passed his reserve and won it, then if you don't buy it the guy could theoretically leave you bad feedback. If the auction isn't over, click on services, then scroll down to Retracting your bid.

Depending on your feedback situation, you might be better taking a chance at getting one negative feedback than in buying something you don't want.

well there was 3 minutes left, and I bid, but my bid became the winning bid, and i won the item. I didnt mean to get it because after I bid, it said in small print that the item was refurbished. it was a digital camera. By that time, it was too late to retract the bid, and i ended up winning the camera. So i immediately contacted the seller stating my situation. he responded "the bidding has ended" which is an ambiguous msg, so what is the worst that can happen? my account gets suspended? i dont buy much of anything on ebay, i just bought like cables, twice in like a year...

he wont sue me for like $140, will he? should i be unessarily worried about this?

I'd like to parrot what paul said. The "punishment" on eBay seems to be the seller can say your a "@#$%& scalawag" next to your handle... but you get to keep your hard earned $140 instead of having to eat that genuine Ansel Adams (refurbished) View Camera with the built-in 5.1 ProMedia and LCD screen ('cause that's what makes it a Home Theater Forum issue).2.gif -HornEd

Why are you letting refurb throw you back? I try to buy all my electronics refurb for the savings. They usually have the same warranty and have been gone over at the factory more closely then the new stuff.I've never had any of my refurb items go bad.The new stuff, well that's a different story. See my "long shot" thread.As both buyer and seller on Ebay,negative feedback is not looked upon lightly.I would recommend keeping the camera and your good rating.I bought a Toshiba PDR-M70 dig cam refurbed on Ebay and have been extremly happy with it and saved a couple hundred bucks.Also the refurbed Denon 1804 is serving me well too.Just my 2 cents.Good luck...Sid

I agree with Sid. Most new production items are not fully tested. Perhaps one in six is(depending on the item). On the other hand, most "refurbs" are just items that people return at the retail stores. They are fully tested and repackaged by the manufacturer. I have never had one of the many "refurbished" items I have purchased anywhere wind up to be DOA. If the item seemed like a good enough deal for you to bid on it, then it shouldn't matter if it is NIB or Refurb.

Jerry Rappaport

I have mixed feelings about refurbs. Not all of are refurbs i swear. But not all of them are bad if anything their better than new. Just a chance you take. Some I swear were never refurbed and need it. If you retract a bid it's no big deal and the seller doesn't have to pay a fee. You do not get any negative feedback i have done it before. But i did contact the seller before hand and i was winning the bid right down to the day. He said retract it so he doesn't get charged. I put down i bid to much by accident. No problems but if you didn't meet a reserve price i have yet to win a bid by not meeting the reserve price. So wouldn't worry the retracting will go on your file for only so long i think. I am actually new to this ebay and i hate ebay i like audiogon.

I wouldn't buy a refurb.

If the guy is selling refurb'ed stuff, he is probably a huge "Power Seller" and will hardly even notice, he'll just relist and probably not even leave you negative feedback, because he doesn't want you to retailiate with Negative Feedback of your own.