New SACD Players Coming!

thebes

Been looking for a good SACD player on a beer budget. A press release on the Toshiba web site informs me that they have two new players coming out that are SACD and DVD-A compatible. A single player (SD4960) is due in June with a list of $180 and a carousel (SD 6915) is due in May. These were previewed at CES in January. Did anybody get to try them out? How do you think they match up with Klipsch?

Thebes, how could anyone try them out if they are only coming out in May/June?

Btw, there are many other universal models coming out as well from Denon, Onkyo, Samsung etc. Universal players are no longer exotic. However, to find a very good overall unit among them is still a challenge, unless you want to shell out more than $1000. Curently the best among available universals are Denon DV5900 (around $1600) and Pioneer Elite DV59Ai (around $1K)

I was in Ultimate Electronics a couple of weeks ago. They had the price marked on the Pioneer 563sa at $180. I told the sales guy that Best Buy had them for $150. He checked the computer and said it was listed at $138 (their cost is $122). He said it was probably wrong, but that their new computer system was all screwed up and he would honor the price. I bought it on the spot. I figured, how could I go wrong at that price? I really am impressed with the unit. The component video looks pretty good, even on my 65" Mit HDTV. The SACD and the DVD-A are also not bad. I know that there are better universal units on the market (I was looking at the Denon 2200 for about $600), but at $150 you really can't go wrong with the Pioneer 563sa. Pick one up an your in business until you decide which high end unit to spend the big dollars on.

007-

As Doug correctly pointed out, there are no PC solutions for SACD NOR IS THERE EVER LIKELY TO BE ONE!! Sony has spent considerable effor to prevent any copying of SACDs via PCs. IF the format gains wide spread approval from the general public, then PERHAPS, we MIGHT see a smart PC wizzard find a way to read the high resolution layers and crack the encryption. But that time is very farr off, IMO.

Thebes et al.

The differences between SACD and CDs are farily small sound wise, and is HIGHLY dependent on the type of music you listen too. IMHO, a cheap $100 SACD player isn't going to get the maximium out of the format.

-Dave

i am on my 2nd dvd/sacd changer,Bclarke on this bb bought my first one from me.

it has a good prog.scan picture, and improved bass management for multi-channel sacd's. i think it sounds really nice, and have a hard time understanding what these mega$$$ sacd players are giving that i'm not getting,ESPECIALLY since the only 'problem' i had was poor sub output on multi-ch. sacd's, which has been solved w/my new player.

JMO-

avman.

p.s.

it is a model#dvpnc685v and costs about $229

Thanks TauRus and DrPyro. I quess I was just mainly throwing this out there for informational purposes, but it's good to hear there will soon be more choices out there for universal players. Basically all I had been running accross on the low dollar end was the Pioneer player which has had decidely mixed reviews. TauRus, I guess you missed my part about a beer budget. While I drool at the thought of dropping a K or 2 on a high end SACD player it would probably be overkill since I'm running Kg 3.5's (kv2 center, and Kg 1.5's surrounds-Denon 2802 receiver). Following the advice of many of this forum I think my big bucks will go towards the mains even though I love my Kg 3.5's! DrPyro, your thinking on SACD parrells my own. After all when we go to a concert we only bring two ears with us. However, a couple of people I talked to who have these players say they add an extra dimension to the music giving more of a feel of being in a concert hall. One likened it to moving from the tenth row to the first row. This got my attention and peaked my interest in finding a reasonably priced quality SACD player.

Thanks again guys, this is my first thread. It's nice to get the feedback.

this is why sony sucks, everything cool they make, they try and control and thats why it fails, that SDDS (sony dynamic digital sound) Failed, thats why Minidics's FAILED and so many other cool products taht sony made, but failed too. Its the same damn **** from Apple too.

no on learns. Well microsoft sure did, lol.