Which Reciever for Synergy Series?

cjjackson85

Ok, I'm in denial over getting shafted on the Reference line. To fill the hole in my heart the Reference Series has left I have decided to upgrade my reciever. I'm going to go through with my original speaker plans as follows:

Mains: SF-3s - $340/pr

Center & Rear Center: SC-3s $280/pr

Surrounds: SS-3s $220/pr

Total Cost: $840

If you all remember my Reciever is the Yamaha RX-V630 (75 x 6). If it is already enough to make them sound great, cool, let me know. I want to get the reciever that will make these puppies sound the best. I don't want to spend much over $700 dollars. I'm open to any suggestions.

P.S. I don't want to pay retail for Reference stuff, so don't suggest it.

15.gif

I had SF2s and the full synergy package for a couple of years and I loved it. (Actually, I'm still in the process of upgrading the sub from that fomer line-up)

Anyway, I used my current Denon AVR 2802 to power the Synergy system and it was awesome. The 2802 has 90 W X 6 channels and did a superb job getting the most out of my Synergies. In my opinon, the more sensitive Reference series wants separates or a better, not necessarily more powerful, receiver. For Synergy, though, the 2802 was a perfect fit. I'm sure you can find one used for way less than $700 or you can get the newer 2803, which has 7 channels.

(By the way, are SF3s really just repackaged RF3s or is that just a quality comparison I hear people make?)

oh-o.k.

then spend the $$'s on whatever you want.

IF you shop for another receiver, i would look at another yammy or another brand that allows you to go as low as 40Hz for your roll-off-to-sub-from-mains bass management vs. a 80Hz limit.

avman.

Go used buy a Harman or denon or rotel or yammy or whatever you like. You can get an awesome receiver used for a few hundred dollars that goes for a grand new. I have synergies and their awesome. My room just loves them for their size and the bass they can handle. Plus the aluminum tweeters are nice for my room. I like Harman and i am not biased at all I thought they looked like cheap crap untill i heard one. One of the best I heard for cd playback. I have a 70 watt denon that will make you fear loss of hearing. So i wouldn't see anyproblem about wattage issues. Except mayby bass response can be a tad week with little power. Not the case with denon slamming bass with 70 watts.

• 1 month later...

i have a pair of sf3's their great!!! have pair of klf10's (dual 10 inchers) the sf3's sound much better, smoother tighter bass. power each set with an adcom gf555ll amp. their great speakers! think all u give up between the rf and sf is a slight difference in drivers and wood veneer. the klf10's have the real wood look . the sf3's sound better!

Cj,

I am with the others here! Save your Money....if it sounds good now -leave it alone!

349.00 for SF-3's is a fantastic deal. (I beleive they are re badged RF3's)........

If it ain't broke, don't fix it............. Good luck on your journey!

AVman mentioned 40hz roll-off-to-sub. The Denon 3803 lets you opt to play full range ( In 5.1 and DTS also) with mains and sub then just set the sub for its cross. It has a Pure Direct mode for 2 channel listening that shuts down all video circuits and whatever isnt being used for better quality, couple that with the tone defeat mode on and you're in business. Sounds really good on music and awesome on movies.