need speaker upgrade advice....

Sanman023

hello all.....i want to upgrade only a couple speakers.....i dont have the money to upgrade the whole speaker system....i currently have a very modest system...the klipsch rb 3 for the fronts...rc 3 for the center channel....two pairs of rs 3 for the surround side/back...and the ksw 10 sub.....my question is...which speaker should i upgrade to get the most improvement...since i have front projection...i was thinking the sub and/or the center to get a bigger sound.....what do you guys think...my budget is $1000-$2000 depending on what channel(s)...and i dont mind maybe switching to another brand....thanks in advance....

My recommendation would be the front three if you can do all three at once. If not all three, then I would probably lean towards doing the mains first, especially if you listen to music on the system. If it's strictly movies then you may want to look at doing the center first, but your center is pretty good.

Don't switch to another brand!! $2k won't let you do RF-7s AND an RC-7, but CAN get a pair of RF-7s for pretty close to that.

Good luck and remember to have fun looking!

John

thanks for the responses...i live in sacramento california...so you guys are saying i should look at fronts....i dont know if this will help...but i am "bi-amping" the fronts and center....i have two denon poa 2800 which i use for the fronts...and the poa 6600a monoblocks for the center (with the levels turned down really low of course)..but im thinking maybe i should upgrade to the bigger rc 7.......keep the suggestions coming...thanks..

RF-7s are not one step upgrade...... they may cost you rest of the system for that 9.gif ......... well give you most improvement tho.

Or you can think of upgrading the sub, KSW just don't pace up with Ref 3 speakers, get something like RSW-12/ SVS PB-2 etc(well you can always step higher if your room is big enough).

Hunting with a bunch of money is always fun 9.gif better than you know what to upgrade but you got no buck for it 3.gif

Don't go to the RC7 without also planning to upgrade the mains to RF-7's.

How about a badder sub? I don't know how big your room is, but that 10" sub might need some help.

What about source gear for the video - what are you driving your projector with? Maybe that's an upgrade worth doing.

i think i should just upgrade my ksw 10 sub....my room is not that big...about 12'x 20'...i think my equipment is okay for now...im currently using the denon 3803 as my pre/pro...2 poa 5000 for rears...2 poa 2800 for the fronts and a pair of poa 6600a for the center....sony hs20 with the denon 2200 for music and bravo d1 for movies......ill probably be looking at the rsw 10s or 12s this weekend...i thought that because most of the sound im hearing are from the center channel...i was thinking rc 7....my rc 3 sounds like its working overtime...thanks...

I would upgrade the RS-3's to match your fronts. From what I have read you have two side and two rear, the directivity gained from moving from the reflecting RS-3's to direct RB-3's would be a better move IMHO. You will still get a room fill/ wide sound field effect using the direct radiators and better direction detection. This is especially true if you listen to multi-channel music. You will get many opinions on the direct radiator vs. the WDST set up for surround speakers. Mine is go with direct radiators. Enjoy.

Best of luck. I think a lot of us will look forward to hearing when you get the RF-7's. I started with just upgrading to the RC-7 and it really overshadowed the rest of my system - I got the rest of the 7's shortly after. I won't be surprised if you find the same thing. In the mean time, enjoy that center channel - you don't seem to see much about it on these boards, but it's one of the best I've ever heard at any price. 9.gif

do you guys/gals think that i can get by with the rf5 instead of the rf7....i listened to them at the ht shop the other day but it was setup so poorly that i couldnt decide...i live about 20 miles from the ht shop and i have a sedan so transporting the speakers back and forth to test will be a problem....

----------------

On 3/15/2004 5:23:01 PM Sanman023 wrote:

do you guys/gals think that i can get by with the rf5 instead of the rf7....i listened to them at the ht shop the other day but it was setup so poorly that i couldnt decide...i live about 20 miles from the ht shop and i have a sedan so transporting the speakers back and forth to test will be a problem....

----------------

Try to walk in and hook up the speakers to the reciever/amp that you knew their performances(prepare the cables) and try them out 9.gif

Geez 20miles isn't far..... I've 50miles at least and all the way back to Manhatten........(that means 4hours train for a round trip 14.gif )

Distance really is relative. I live in Oman and had to drive 4 hours each way to get my speakers in Dubai!

The 5's are really good speakers - the 7's are exceptional speakers. Personally, I've found I rarely regret stretching to get the better stuff first. When I do go with a smaller option, I end up upgrading later anyway and it costs more overall.

I don't think you'll have buyers remorse with either option, but the 7's cost more for a reason - they are the better speaker.

ok...just convinced my fiance that i really NEED the rf7...she thinks i should get the rb75 because it would make the room look better...i just called the local shop and they are willing to sell me the rf7 with 15-20% off...their website sells it for retail with 10% off no tax and free shipping....i really need to take care of this itch....how many % off did you guys get them for....i just want to see if im getting a good deal...thanks...

----------------

On 3/18/2004 4:44:50 PM Sanman023 wrote:

ok...just convinced my fiance that i really NEED the rf7...she thinks i should get the rb75 because it would make the room look better...i just called the local shop and they are willing to sell me the rf7 with 15-20% off...their website sells it for retail with 10% off no tax and free shipping....i really need to take care of this itch....how many % off did you guys get them for....i just want to see if im getting a good deal...thanks...

----------------

Hmm I geus you are talking about Goodguys 9.gif

15-20% is great deal. Goodguys do have upgrade policy..... that'd be even better deal than 30% off as some upgrade bug bites you when premiere series release 9.gif

yes..its good guys....ive been talking to some of the local dealers and trying to get them to lower their prices....the lowest is $1980 out the door from a couple of stores..and one of those stores i bought the rc7,rs3IIs,rsw12 from...and they still cant go lower....

$1980 out the door? Oh hell no, they can do a lot better than that. I got my RF-7's from Goodguys for about $750 each. Find the friendliest looking salesman, chat up a storm and find some common interest. Then make him feel good about himself. Then ask him to help you out. $1980 out the door? We'll see about that.

okay...since im still on the hunt for the rf 7s...i was wondering since my front three are rf7s and rc7....and my rears are rs 3IIs....should i return all four of the rs 3II and get two rs 7s.....or do you guys think that the 3s are fine with tonal matching.....

probably not the best timbre match.....but I would say....try it out first before spending money.......

use the AVIA test CD with the BALL of PINK NOISE test.....it goes round and round the room....and if you close your eyes...and listen...it should sound just like a ball of sound...and you should not be able to hear any difference as it goes around.....

seriously...get your MAINS first...and then try it....you can always upgrade later.....

good luck