rf3-rf7-heresy???

M.H

Hello all..

I'm from Holland so sorry if my english aint that good..

I own a pair of RF-3 speakers and i'm really impressed of the Klipsch sound..

But i want to upgrade my soundquality so i am searching for a better speaker some time now..

I've tryed the KLF-30 and although i like the "real" sound of it i decided not to go for those..

The low-part was to dominant i think..

So now i am thinking of the Heresy ore the RF-7..

But i havent heard both speakers yet Smile.gif

The Heresy aint such a problem because a friend own them (they only need to be repaired) so i can try them at home to test them..

But i was wondering how the RF-7 will sound..

I cant hear them yet so can anyone tell me which sounds better???

I've heard the LaScala and i was really impressed of that sound..

I hope to find a speaker wat sound's also very detailed and easy with the low parts something like the LaScala...(i hope u understand me)..

Thx for the help so far..

Greetings Melly

M.H.:

The La Scala's and the RF-7's are definitely different sounding speakers. If you can hold out until the new RF-7's get to your part of the world though, I think you should to listen to those. Since they are in the same "family" as your RF-3's, their highs and mids will be an extended sound of what you are already familiar with in your speakers. The bass, which IMO is much tighter than the KLF-30's may please you in not having that "dominating" effect you mentioned.

PhilH

quote:

Originally posted by PhilH:

M.H.:

The bass, which IMO is much tighter than the KLF-30's may please you in not having that "dominating" effect you mentioned.

PhilH

Thx for the reply Smile.gif

But what do u mean with this line???

I dont know what IMO stands for..

And what about the Heresy??

Does that 1 sound's more like the LaScala then the RF serie??

Thx for youre help so far

Greetings Melly

melly:

IMO = In My Opinion. Sorry for the confusion. If you feel that the bass was too much (too boomy, too loud or too overpowering)on the KLF-30, that is why I feel you should listen to the RF-7's. To me, the bass is tighter and less "dominant". I own KLF-30's and are much more familiar with them than Heresy's. The KLF-30 sounds more like a Heresy than a Heresy sounds like an RF-7.

PhilH

Thx again for the reply..

Well..i really liked the better "Live" feeling i had with the KLF-30..

When i listened to the 30's i had more the idea the band was in my lifingroom..

But the reason why i didnt buy them was that the sound wasnt so clean any more..

I had the idea that the sound was colored,the clean sound like the rf-3 (what i liked so much) was gone..

So my dealer told me that perhaps the heresy was a good choice for me..

But now u tell me that the 30's sound's more like a Heresy then the RF serie????

hmm..really confusing..

Have u any idea which speaker sounds almost like the LaScala???

Because that speaker really impressed me.

I know that only the LaScala sounds like a LaScala,but which 1 comes the most near by???

Thx so far Smile.gif

mh, that would be the heresy in the same heritage line as the lascala.

the new reference speaks (rf-7, rf-5) portend to combine the best of both the reference & legend(klf) lines. iow - detail, liveliness & slam. have not heard them myself, but the early reviews on this forum seem to indicate this is so.

u need to, at the very least, listen to them as well as the heresy to make the best decision for u.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Agree with boa12. Heresey will sound more like LaScala, though I was never able to have a direct listening comparison. You may notice a difference 100-meters away: LaScala will still sound the same, but Heresey will begin to die out. Check the Klipsch Classic Series page for specifications. LaScala/Belle/K-Horn rated at 104dB and Heresey is 96dB.

I am happy with the bass of LaScala, but my Cornwall can reproduce lower bass, just maybe not as clear as Belle/K-horn. The way LaScala reproduces the bass just sounds different than the Cornwall. The Heresey isn't even in a ported cabinet. Klipsch doesn't have a heritage-style speaker between the Heresey and LaScala anymore. The Chorus and Chorus II probably got as close to matching the Belle/K-horn in a smaller, more resonably priced speaker. Most threads I've read here about the Heresey bemoan the lack of bass, as some do about LaScala.

I haven't had a comment from boa12 about my report of how close the sound of my Cornwall was to my RF-3 speakers (using familiar music, not test equipment,) so I assume he doesn't agree. He had his Cornwalls with his RF-3s, though as rear surrounds rather than mains. I get reality out of my RF-3s, especially with quality recordings like Disney's Fantasia 2000. I only use the front 3 speakers, but it sounds like I'm in a concert hall (using DTS mode.) It was a lot cheaper than another set of LaScalas. (Wife said no to LaScalas as main Home Theater speakers.) Though, now boa12 has a better amp driving his heritage speakers, so end of comparison.

I haven't heard RF-7s and my local Klipsch dealer isn't going to stock them. I won't get a chance to travel to a large city just to hear them.

sorry pete totally missed that 1 cwm35.gif

yea if i can remember back that far the rf-3 seemed to do fine w/ the corns before marantz. now after marantz

& the new klf front & center i'm pretty satisfied in that 5 channel stereo (old sony no had that). that really brought back the rear corns, so now i can lay behind the couch facing the fireplace (not lit now) & groove to those in w/ 5-channel stereo music. gets me away from the tv. cwm20.gif

i think about all klipsch w/ their horns sound great together. just a matter of greatness degree I guess cwm30.gif

love the rf-3 connected to the old ken in the backroom for that detailed stereo music. & the rf-3 are shielded. & so are my klf-30 now that i did that myself. always those trade-offs cwm12.gif

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

Thx for the reply's Boa and Pete..

Wel,i was thinking of the Heresy also for the best LaScala a like sound..

But i have never heard and seen a cornwall before..

I think it's a older model??..

Anyway..i went to my local dealer today and spoke about my wishes..

I also told him that i think the RF-7 ore the Heresy should be the best options for me..

But the RF-7's are very expensive over here..

I didnt expected such a high price..

Then he showed me another option..

Another amplifier.

Now i have a pioneer 906 (it's a 5.1 digital) it's a nice amplifier but not good enough for high needs..

I have listened to the NAD s300 silverline ( http://nadelectronics.com/IntegratedAmp/S300.html ) and i was impressed how my RF-3's sounded ...

He also explained me that i's better to improve the basic (amplifier) first and then later buy better speakers..

The pioneer i use now aint probably good enough for wat i search in my sound quality..

So next week i get it at home to test it..

I'm very curious how it will sound in my own livingroom Smile.gif

But i will listen to the Heresy anyway..

Maybe they impress me that much that i go for the Heresy anyway ...hhmm...that will save me a lot of money also Smile.gif

But i wanna thank u all for u help..

I will let u know how the results will be.

Greetings Melly

This message has been edited by M.H on 07-03-2001 at 11:50 PM

Hello all,

I am going to comment on the Heresy/RF-3 comparison. I have had the chance to listen to them side by side on an A/B switch at home using a known room and my receiver. This may be controversial for all the Heritage fans, but the differences between the two were minimal. (PS I love the Heritage linenot knocking them at all!). This test was done before I biwired my RF-3s (which made a huge difference). So what I am saying is, there is not that big of difference between the two models. If you want to upgrade, wait for the RF-7. Please dont misunderstand me. I am not knocking either model. They both sound fantastic. Oh yah, in my opinion, I think the Reference models are easier to place because they take up less surface area. This is another consideration. The RF-3s look very nice next to a big screen TV.

Oh well thats my humble opinion.

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

JVC HR-S3800 Super VHS VCR

Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player

Sony Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3 Main

Monster m1.4 Biwire Cables

RC-3 Center

SS-1 Rear

quote:

Originally posted by bensilb:

Hello all,

this test was done before I biwired my RF-3s (which made a huge difference).

Oh well thats my humble opinion.

Thx for u 2 for the help..

I'm a little suprised u didnt hear so much difference between the RF and the heresy..

I always thought that the Heresy was way more detailed and had a more real-live sound..

But if i read it right u have bi-wired youre speakers??

Can u tell me what the diference are between mone and bi-wiring in the sound???

Are there also some bad point's when u bi-wire the RF's??

Do u advise me to do it also?? (i have now mono wire)..

And wat kind of cables did u use??..

Grts Melly

Bad points of Biwiring the RF-3s...THE PRICE. I spent $275 for 10 feet Monster Cables.

I would say yes to the Biwiring debate. The sound range is more detailed and the bass is tighter. I was very happy with the difference.

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

Sony Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3 Main

RC-3 Center

SS-1 Rear

Bad points of Biwiring the RF-3s...THE PRICE. I spent $275 for 10 feet Monster Cables.

I would say yes to the Biwiring debate. The sound range is more detailed and the bass is tighter. I was very happy with the difference.

Also, if you are going to upgrade your speakers, make a big step not a small step. Meaning the Hersey are better than the RF-3, but in my opinion, not that much. But listen yourself!! Don't take my word but wait for the RF-7.

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

Sony Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3 Main

RC-3 Center

SS-1 Rear

b, i only paid $79.99 for the monster mcx biwire cables. of course u got the higher level ones, but i did notice a nice improvement using these vs. the regular 16ga monster wire. just wanted to point out u don't have to spend over a c-note even for premade monster biwire cables.

of course one could even make their own for less than 1/2 what i paid. just wanted that convenience and hey how 'bout that monster name/image Biggrin.gif

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

Well no-one has really given much coverage to the Heresy's so I suppose I will, as a proud owner of a pair of Heresy 2's.

I cannot pass comment on the RF7's as like everyone else I have not heard them, but I am very familiar with the RF3 and the Heresy to here is a little comparison guide:

1. The RF3 still produces a lot of bass, certainly more than the Heresy. This is the most popular speaker Klipsch make and with good reason - it gives a lot of bang for the buck and does well on almost all music. Additionally it is very easy to drive (amplification wise) both in terms of its sensitivity and its ability to mask rather than expose other elements in the system if they are weak.

2. The Heresy (my own beloved speaker - did I already say that?). The strong points are the voice, mids and soundstaging which are breathtaking - only the Khorn is measurably better and there is a big price difference. Getting bass out of a Heresy is another story and relates to what is probably the biggest difference between the Heresy and the RF3. What the RF3 hides the Heresy ruthlessly exposes. Ok, assuming you have a reasonable amp / source combo your high bass will be excellent and mid bass acceptable but not as powerful as the KLF30 you have heard. Low-bass, in all honesty, there isnt any. The Heresy may go down to 50 Hz but it tails off fairly steeply from around 60-65 so you will not be blowing out any windows soon. If you want the Heresy highs, mids and sound-stage with bass you get a sub.

It seems from your post that you are not a bass fan, as indeed neither am I and so I would lean towards the Heresy strongly.

If your music listening mainly includes Classical, Jazz, Blues, soul, vocals, "light" rock and so on then these are the speakers for you (and me). If its techno funk you are after may I suggest you look elsewhere.....Biggrin.gif

Thx for the explanation of bi-wiring..

I shall ask some things also to my local K-dealer..

But first i fully concetrate on my (new) amplifier test this weekend..

I'm am really curious what the result will be..

And some later when i am adjust to this new sound (when i buy the amplifier) i try the bi-wiring story Smile.gif

Thx all for the help..great!!!!!!!!

This message has been edited by M.H on 07-05-2001 at 04:04 PM

quote:

Originally posted by maxg:

Well no-one has really given much coverage to the Heresy's so I suppose I will, as a proud owner of a pair of Heresy 2's.

Yessss...this is the kind of reply i wished for..

Some one who have heard all the speakers and know's the good and bad point of them Smile.gif

What u tell me sounds very well-known.

This is exactly wat i had in mind about the Heresy (lets hope it's also true)..

And indead i dont like to much bass..

Before i listened to metal/pink floyed..

Now it's more Eric clepton/Pink Floyd/cors/and stuff like that Smile.gif

I only want the tight-bass wat's really needed and nothing more..

But i also look for a "easy" bass..(if u know what i mean)..

I had that feeling when i heard the LaScala playing..

The low parts came so easy out of the speakers and so detailed..

I know ofcourse that that sound only will accomplish when i buy a LaScala ore better...

Unfortunally i dont have that space in my room (and my girlfriend will shoot me when i come home with such "deepfreezer a like" speaker Smile.gif

I was also thinking of the Heresy's (if i will buy them)combined with a sub-woofer..

But i was also thinking that perhaps the KLF-30 sounded not that bright/clear because my amplifier aint good enough..

Perhaps they will sound super with the NAD-s300..

I was a long time doubting to buy them ore not..

The sound sounded much more "real" then the RF-3's..

But like i told before,the RF-3's had a more clear sound..

Hhmm...maybe i should test them again later =)

Well..as u can see i still dont know wat to do but after this weekend i will know some more (i hope)..

I let u know wat the result will be..

Cya M.H

(by the way..is it true that the Heresy 1 has a better high and mid's then the Heresy 2??..and the 2 has some more bass??)

Hello..

This weekend i tested the NAD S300 amplifier..

I promised to tell the results..

Well...to be honest i am a little disapointed..

Looking at that huge machine and the cost of it i expected much more..

I had to listen very very good to hear the difference between my old pioneer 906 digital amplifier and this NAD..

Sure..there were some little good points..

With some cd's it was a bit more pure..

And i had the feeling that the low parts had bit of more detail..

But like i said..it wasnt such a big difference to me..

Ofcourse this problem will be at my side..

Maybe i'm not such a good listener,i dont know...

But i have 2 more days to test it and so far i am not convince to buy this amplifier...

I have my doubts if it's worth the high price Frown.gif

Hi Neighbour,

Why going from 5.1 to a stereo amplifier?

For 5+ channel receivers check the onkyo's(DS676, 696, 787, 989) or denon's

For high quality (pre-)amps check Rotel (www.rotel.com)

(Waarom upgraden, de RF-3's zijn goed Smile.gif )

Why are good

greetz USparcje

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RF-3's

Center: RC-3

• 2 weeks later...

MaxG -

I mostly agree with your asessment of the Heresys vs the Rf-3s. In my opinion, The Rf-3s have better bass, but overall still seem meek compared to the Heresys. I also think that the sealed bass of the Heresy is tighter and more appealing than that of a ported system like the RF-3 (which is why I liked the RP-3 which had a sealed, powered sub that produced..and sometimes overproduced..the bass that the Heresy lacks).

Anyhoo..M.H., hold out until you can listen to each speaker. Everyone's tastes differ a little.