Budget approx. $1100.00. Available speakers include....

HansHurt

I am upgrading from the Quintet II's, and a local retailer is getting rid of older Klipsch stock at what I think are nice prices. Here is what they have:

RB-3's = $300/pr

RB-5II's = $450/pr

SB-3's = $275/pr

RC-25 = $300

SC-1 = $150.00

Any of these speakers are a significant upgrade from what I am using. I plan on keeping my KSW-10 to keep costs low, but would like 3 new pairs of speakers for 7.1. If I went for the RB-5II's I could only get 2 pair and the center - going with the others allows a complete setup.

The retailer isn't really organized for demonstrations, so I am looking for opinions on the speakers keeping in mind my budget. It might be important to note that I live in a small carpeted space.

Thanks,

Jason

I honestly have never heard the 5's. So I might not be the best judge.

But, from what I have read I would take the 3's. I hear the 3s or the 7's are the best bang for your buck.

Also be careful about picking up the RC-25 Center, the center is one of the most important speakers in your set up... and it should be in the same set or a step above the rest of your equipment.

Just my 2 cents.... get others opinions they know more than me :-)

I've never tried RB3s but I own RB-5II and RC-3II. The RB-5IIs are better pieces...... I can hear from most of the source even mp3s. I'd like to go two pairs of RB-5 and a center to stick with 5.1 for a while...... Then get another pair of RB-5II may be for making the home to be identical 6.1 speaker system? That'd be nice setup than trying to match up any speakers(since ref 5 doesn't have the center and rear speakers). By then get the better sub to give some reinforcement for the low?

RB-5II's for sure, that price is VERY good (lower than even what I got mine for!). I wouldnt get the RC-25 though, as thats not a very good price for it... You can find it cheaper elsewhere. Or better yet, get an RC-3, as it will keep up with the RB-5II's much better. Figuring you can find a decent center for around 200-300, that leaves you with around 400-500 dollars left. I'd get a sub with that money. Either an RW-12 or low end SVS (you might go a little bit above your budget with these). That would be a killer set up for the price. Thats what I'd do if I were in your situation, anyways.

Thanks for the opinions.

DougDrake - Agreed, 7.1 for the size of my room may not be appropriate, but right now the price for a pair of rear speakers relative to the price for a 6.1 rear center makes it tempting. It also means I get to fill up all the speaker outputs on my reciever. ;). Sounds like the RB-5II's are pretty good in your opinion.

Thors - Those 3's at that price makes them attractive. Is the RC-25 not that great of a match for what's available?

ccsakura - looks like another vote for RB-5II's, and waiting until I can afford something else to fill out the setup.

Essentially, I could grab 6 RB3's or 4 RB5's, and the center. Still on the fence, but probably leaning towards the RB-5's....depends on how much better the 5's sound.

Too bad that they don't have 'em setup, but input from here is the next best thing.

EDIT: Juba - 'nother vote for the 5's. Yea, that center wasn't really on sale...they do have another center there..quite a bit larger (didn't check the model) for $450.00. Will have to check...actually, I think it was the RC-35.

Nobody within a reasonable distance. I am actually up here in Canada and Klipsch dealers aren't all over the place, and the ones that are usually have the newest stuff out.

Going to get the salesman at this store to hook up a set for me.

Pretty much decided on the 5's, that just leaves the center......they all seem a little pricy though.

Btw, those prices are in USD, converted at today's rate....easier that way.