After 5 days, I finally got it...

Rdmarsiii

Ok, I got the vintage Pioneer stuff today. The amp is a Pioneer SA-550, the tuner is a Pioneer TX-950, and the equalizer is a Pioneer SG-550. Are these any good? They sound fine right now. It is running my temporary speakers right now, if thats what you want the call them (KLH swivel top satellites). Thanks for any input!

It gives you a point of reference.

If these are 1970s vintage separates ( I infer) they are built solid.

I still use a Denon SS integrated from 1982.

And have had an abundance of amps since.

The Denon still had a clear "party sound" at 20 watts with a cd player last ime i used it.

20 watss is real loud with thje Chorus IIS.

The Scott is not a good perfomer at that level.

But the phono section is superb!

Like any aspect of life assests and liabilities.

And how much did they cost? If you say "FREE" I would say I love the sound and the way they played and like I have done I would decorate a coffee can and call it your Jukebox money. NEVER spend change, put it in the can. DO NOT DIP INTO IT! Now find something you really want and slowly save for it while you are enjoying what someone graciously gave to you. Got a can on top of our system right now, have to put a quarter in to turn it on and we are saving for a SACD player.

Taylor,

If you push a amp to its absolute rated power the music will conjest severely! A 20 watt amp sounds its best using about 5 steady watts or less which leaves 15 watts for transient peaks. Your amp may get away with about 8 to 10 watts before the transients start to get mushed and conjested. When a amp is rated at 20 watts it is tested only running say a 1kHz or 2 Khz signal music is all over the map and much more tasking then just a single frequency.

Craig

You also may want to check out the link below. They carry thousands of Vintage manuals (with Pioneer a speciality). I have a 1976 Pioneer SA-9500II amp, TX-6500 tuner, and SG-9500 II equalizer. They all work great and sound as good as the day I took them out of the box. I got replacement manuals for all of these from the website. Enjoy.

http://www.stereomanuals.com/manuals/pioneer/pioneer_all.htm

If you push a amp to its absolute rated power the music will conjest severely! A 20 watt amp sounds its best using about 5 steady watts or less which leaves 15 watts for transient peaks. Your amp may get away with about 8 to 10 watts before the transients start to get mushed and conjested. When a amp is rated at 20 watts it is tested only running say a 1kHz or 2 Khz signal music is all over the map and much more tasking then just a single frequency.

============

Welll put Craig

I was thinking detail goes away and soundstage collapses.

"CONGESTED" is a good description.

Ok, well I posted on that audiokarma also. So we'll see what happens... I think this amp is about an 1983-1985, give or take a few years. It has the A/B speaker switching, and it has a CD in, yes, CD in, so it cant be in the 70s, i dont think. It says 90 watts on the back, but thats probably the power consumption...

Im probably going to go over there next Saturday. Thanks for all the help! A dude on the Audiokarma said it probably puts out 15-20 wpc, but he wasnt sure. It should be plenty of power for the Heresys. My mom (who doesnt live with me) thinks that nothing is better than her Bose... We'll see about that.

----------------

On 3/13/2004 12:02:50 PM DRBILL wrote:

Yep,

All that gear needs cleaning. Bring it on over and I'll show you how. The connectors and switches need a cleaning and lube. I have the stuff to do it right --little soft brushes, etc. Call ahead.

Glad for you.

DR BILL
----------------

Could you offer suggestions on what you use to "clean and lube" connectors and switches? I have an old Pioneer SX-3800 I keep around, and it could use a little cleaning/maintenance.

Tony