Dynaco QD-2 makes for a killer center channel

Daddy Dee

A few weeks ago I'd read a thread on center channel and some forum member mentioned using the Dynaco QD-2.

Those things are still being sold as NOS at $30 each and available on Ebay.

I have been listening to it this evening (with Khorn L&R and Heresy center) and think it sounds amazing. I'm hearing more stereo seperation and larger soundstage than before.

Don't know what is in the circuit, but the sound is killer.

A couple of things about this that I find interesting. It processes sound at speaker level having the L and R channel feed out of the amp directly into the unit. This allows one to drive L + C + R with the convenience of only a two channel amp. The whole thing is passive, but it does allow one to control the volume on the center channel. Also, it does have outputs for L and R rear surrounds.

I haven't set it up as HT with rears, but I've read some reviews on Audioreview.com of folks that find it impressive in that regard. It is not prologic and won't decode dolby or dts. So, it wouldn't provide the sound of bullets whizzing past one's ears. However, as a quick and dirty setup to add center channel... man, does it ever sound good.

Thanks to whoever the forum member was who mentioned this in an earlier thread.

Also, further evidence that David Hafler was among the smartest on the planet.

DaddyDee,

I've got my QD-2 in the family room HT rig right now. I have to say I think it was MUCH better in the music room. In fact, I agree with you - it sounds great with music! Not so great with video, though. I really miss the steering of DPL-II. Instead, you get a big diffuse sound that seems to come from everywhere...and nowhere. My only real beef with it for music was just the fact you have little control over the relative levels of mains to center and mains to rear. In that regard I think a similar device that worked at line-level (Chase Technology had one), thereby allowing separate amps for all channels might be even better. But I don't think it had the audiophile credentials of the Dynaco unit. Like you said, the sound is killer!

JDM,

It would be interesting to compare the circuit with the line level device you were speaking of.

A week or two ago I had the chance to listen to another forum member's Khorns with a pair of Heresy's as center. It sounded quite good. What he had was the line level "magic box" of PWK's design, and posted in Dope from Hope. He ran the system with three monoblocks. As he explained it to me, PWK's original use of center channel was to run the center off the L and R 4 ohm taps having connected the common on the amplifier. This causes the center to be derived from the "differences" between the L and R channels. As I understand it, the circuit in the magic box derives the center from what signal the L and R have in common.

Now, I must also offer this disclaimer. My understanding of technology is at kindergarten level or below. And it is also entirely possible that I didn't understand or hear correctly what the gentleman was telling me.

In addition to that, my wife would confirm that I never listen, unless it is something I want to hear.

Here's a theoretical: Let's say there is a man in the woods and there is no woman there to hear him. He says something. Is it still wrong?9.gif

LOL...Daddy, that's rich!9.gif

I have a QD-2 buried in my closet somewhere that I haven't used in over 15 years. Maybe I should reevaluate the possibilities of this Hafler-designed unit and try it out with my current system (although I'd need a Heresy center...maybe I could borrow one of my brother's KG 3.2s for the experiment. Wonder how it'd work out with an 8 WPC 300B SET stereo amp).

----------------

On 3/14/2004 9:00:46 AM jt1stcav wrote:

LOL...Daddy, that's rich!
9.gif

I have a QD-2 buried in my closet somewhere that I haven't used in over 15 years. Maybe I should reevaluate the possibilities of this Hafler-designed unit and try it out with my current system (although I'd need a Heresy center...maybe I could borrow one of my brother's KG 3.2s for the experiment. Wonder how it'd work out with an 8 WPC 300B SET stereo amp).
----------------

You've got a regular antique there. Yep, Last night I was driving it with a Scott 222-D with plenty of power, but I was wondering how it would do with 2A3's. I would imagine that it would do fine with the 300B.

Craig, when you have a chance to look under the hood, I'd sure be interested to hear your take on the circuit.

Man, now I have to spend more money (that I don't have) on a single Heresy so I can try out the Dynaco. Bet it would sound good, though...Dammit, and I'll spend an entire day dredging through my bedroom closet looking for the damn thing, too!5.gif

Gentlemen,

I have a unit as follows;Dynaco QD-I Series II-L,distrubuted by the Pancor Corp.Is this the same unit you are discussing?If it is and anyone is interested,J&R Music World WAS selling them as a close-out item for $20.

Analogman

If I recall correctly, the QD-1 is exactly the same as the QD-2. The only difference is in the cabinet...the QD-2 has a mirror-like finish and beefier knobs; the QD-1 is much plainer in appearence. If there are electrical or functional differences, I just don't remember anymore (haven't used the QD-2 in over 15 years, and my kid brother had the QD-1).

Thank you,

I checked the "Dynaco" website and saw the QD-II.Looks the same except for better cosmetics.Mine is a very heavy unit for its size but the control knobs are very cheap plastic.I am glad this thread popped up as mine has been sitting in the closet as well.I was hesitant to hook it up to my tube rig for fear of impedance issues.If someone would comment on this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Analogman

Gentlemen,

If one were to use this unit should you use taps that reflect the speakers used.The sheet that comes with the unit is very vague and simply states it presents a constant load,no specs.,at least with mine.

Thanks again,

Analogman