Mcintosh tube amp lovers

BackBurner

200 watts per channel of triode power!

McIntosh actually made a 350-watt version of these too.

Aside to "Dead Heads"-- the Dead used these as PA amps in the late 1960's/early 1970's.

I have never heard them used as Hi-Fi amps but have been told they are really something . . . .

----------------

On 3/15/2004 11:43:56 AM Allan Songer wrote:

200 watts per channel of triode power!

McIntosh actually made a 350-watt version of these too.

Aside to "Dead Heads"-- the Dead used these as PA amps in the late 1960's/early 1970's.

I have never heard them used as Hi-Fi amps but have been told they are really something . . . .

----------------

Allan,

Was that what the Dead used when they had the "Wall of Sound?"

This is probably one of my buddies setups. He got five complete dual rigs when the shipyard in Maine closed out the tube powered ultrasonic sinks and started running a SS setup. He got these for a song. One bank still had the original tubes from 1961 in them, due to Macs being set up to loaf at about 60% of their output capability with these bad boys. When I was in Kittery back in 1985, the primary set had not been turned off for 14 years!

The shipyard up there is chock full of oddball history. Our boat had a little tradition that every newbie had to spend a night sleeping in the penetentiary cell Aaron Burr was held pending trial after he killed Adams? in a pistol duel. They had some real nice 10 x 10 mahogany timbers in that building.