Incorporating KG4's in HT

Gun

Hi all,

I think I am about ready to take the HDTV/HT plunge.

I currently own four KG4's and like them much.

I am torn between trying to use them in a HT setup or just selling them and starting from scratch.

What would you do in this situation? If you say to use the KG4's, in what placement would you use them and what other speakers would you recommend to use with them to finish off the HT?

I have toyed with the idea of just getting a HTIB setup, but then it dawned on me that I've been listening to these KG4's hooked up to a Yamaha R9 @ 165 RMS and a hifi VCR for over a decade and DVD for a couple years. I'm afraid a HTIB system just won't suit me after the intensity this setup delivers. Anyone think this thought is sound?

Thanks,

Gun

Other planned items: A Yamaha receiver - model undetermined, a Panasonic 53", a Denon 910 DVD Player and a Dish 921 DVR.

Thanks. I have already started my search for a KV3.

That will save so much money over what I had expected to buy that I need more advice now lol

I just bought a new house and am moving in a couple of months, so I think I may as well set it up for 7 speakers from the start. Would another pair of KG4's be in order or should I drop back to maybe KG3's for one of the rear pairs?

The "Yamaha reiver - model undetermined" in my first post should currently read "RX v2400".

I have space, the room is 14 X 24. However, I'm not finding any KG2's available anywhere. Also, I have already changed my mind on the Yamaha and am leaning towards a Denon 3803 or 3805.

Thoughts on dropping the KV3 and getting an Academy and Forte's for the front and use the 4 KG4's for rears and surrounds?

TIA

----------------

On 3/17/2004 2:38:03 PM cluless wrote:

Warning! The academy is hard to find and as a result has become rather Pricey $$$.

----------------

You got that right. Before spending a lot on money on an Academy, I recommend buying a lone KG4 (or even a pair..then sell off the extra one) then building a new enclosure for the drivers to make a custom center. Even if you paid someone to build the enclosure it would likely be cheaper than buying an Academy -- and an even better match than it! A friend of mine is doing just that. I am helping him design the enclosure since I have experience in designing custom speakers (note the center and rears I am using denoted in my sig).

• 2 months later...

I have my KG4s in a home theater setup driven by a Yamaha RX-V2095. My center is a KV3. I bought a KLF-C7 a couple of years ago believing the 8" woofers would be a better match for the KG4s, but the KV3 sounds much better. For front and rear surrounds I'm using the RS3s. I hope to upgrade the surrounds to the RS7s since DTS and DD have full-range surround channels. The KG4's bass is very respectible, but I love quality bass and supplement the KG4s with an SW8 for the mid/upper bass and a custom-built ACI Titan passive sub with compound 12" woofers for the Loooow bass. I highly recommend the KG4, KV3, RS3 system.

I have another system consisting of Legacy Focus, Silver Screen center and T&A P-30 3-way surrounds. The Focus are bi-amped by a Denon AVR-3300 receiver(high/mid)and a Yamaha M-65(bass). This system is probably 3 time the cost and has its own qualities, but when friends are over it's the Klipsch system they're impressed with.