Well i hooked up my surrounds

wheelman

Well the surrounds are growing on me. I've listened to led zeps dvd and the spl levels were smilin. Definetly am not detecting any distortion on them. I am starting to dig em. I guess i was used to my old surrounds doing so many sound test and if i don't hear what i know is their it bothers me. I think the dipoles sounded better because they were so small and i was getting a sense of more space. "Where the klipsch just throw it out towards the room the others through the sound around the entire room. And because of this i could hear more layers of detail in the soundtrack of signs. It seemed more real with the cambridge because of it's bipole design. But with the scene with the alien running on top of the house was very cool with the klipsch. Much better with the cambridge were he is in the cornfield at night with the flash light. It really sounds like their is a bad *** storm coming with the cambridge, but with the klipsch it is just so clean and powerful. Just a matter of them growing on me. And klipsch has been pretty helpfull so far into figuring out what to do with the grills. Pretty much get new ones from the parts department.

I hated my RB 35s for surrounds until I found just the right place for them. I was convinced I was going to go out and buy RS7s as soon as money/priorities allowed. I'm glad I didn't rush out and do that. It took me a while to get the RB 35s in the right place but they're there now and I love em. I can't imagine why it took me so long to get it right but I'm glad I finally did. First impressions can be misleading, and what you thought was a mistake one day may just not have been, that's the lesson I learned.

I know what you mean. I have had surrounds in just about every place imaginable in my room. Then you throw in a different type and it's time to start all over. I love them for music dvd's and that is where most of my heart in this hometheater is starting to go. Because of the playback has much more return. You can watch a concert over and over more than a movie. I wonder if i could get those grills in black? Then i wouldn't have to run into that problem again. I watched the second star wars movie and the sound was pretty impressive much better for that. Because of the high impact it has and the klipsch took it like nothing was up. I really hated them new star wars i bought them hoping they would be good. But they make darth vader the biggest wussy in the universe. What's up with that? The movies would of been so much better if they picked a different darth. But the first one wasn't to bad it is just that second one. And their is awesome scenes in the second one. They just have to ruin it with that puss.

Wheelman-

Before you pitch the grills try this.

Open the grills so they lay fairly flat. Place some white kitchen towels between the fabric and the ribs. Then dab spots with spot remover for white fabrics (contains bleach) or diluted bleach. Allow to dry completely before removing the towels. Mine cleaned up just fine.

Good question John. I'm trying to give you a short answer but I don't know if it's going to help you.

(Starting at the end, I hung my speakers 8 feet in the air on my two side walls, 19 feet apart, facing each other and aside the listening position is that what you're looking for?)

The longer answer is that I stopped listening to suggestions and started listening to my ears and what worked in my house, for my system and my conditions. I also started looking at different possibilities in my room's setup and positioning. That was a chore and took a lot of visualizing.

I had to backtrack, delete all my assumptions about what would produce good sound in my room and start from scratch. I finally realized that the stands I bought specifically for getting good surround sound weren't going to work for me. So, I ditched the stands and now have a nice pair of altars for my cat to sit on.

Here's the most important part. I rearranged my listening position so that it now faces the short wall - 19 feet - bought long runs of wire and hung the speakers. I now sit about 14 feet away from the front speakers and the surrounds are well above ear level (8 feet up from the ground is the only spot I had available)

I know my surrounds are set up higher than Dolby Digital recommends but I'm getting all the ambiance and impact I want from them now. They work a lot better than before, when they were at DD's recommended height.

I'm still looking for the best setup I can get but for now, this is the most improved sound I've found for my room - 19 by 33 with lots of openings.

Trial and error is what it came down to. I guess the point is not to be afraid of starting over. It was a hard and long process for me and I don't think it's over yet. I'm always going to look for a better way to do things.

I hope this rambling helps.

Thanks cluless i actually was considering it before i read your suggestion. I don't even know if they come off. I pull on them and it almost seems like their permently fixed on their but i will look into your idea. Thanks again. I had some of that stuff but i used it all up. That stuff is great. I told a friend to do that to an old vintage guitar amp tweed grill cloth and he told me it come out like new. I never got to see it but that stuff does miracles.

The RS-7 grilles are attached by velcro towards the back. I'm assuming the SS-1s are the same, although I never took the grills of mine while I had them. Anyhow, you should just be able to peel them off. The fabric should only be attached around the edges of the grill frame and not along the ribs so you should be able to isolate most of the fabric from the evil black things to do your cleanup. Good Luck!

That doesn't sound like too a bad price Wheelman. What's the shipping? While I joke around all the time I agree with and have used Cluless's method for cleaning some grille clothes. You'll probably be O.K. cleaning up the white ones but it does seem to make sense if you can test a spot somewhere not noticeable also maybe pick up a spare set of the Klipsch grilles to have around if you plan on keeping the surrounds for a while.

White can be tough to maintain and you would want to get the speakers to match once you have cleaned them so if you are doing a large area you might need to clean both surrounds.But you may not need to do that in your case since they are brand new. Don't rub just follow Clu's directions and I'm sure you won't end up with a speaker like the one in the picture. He he he he he Good Luck.

----------------

On 3/20/2004 11:25:26 AM m00n wrote:

wheelie... Glad you are getting used to them. BTW, what are they?

----------------

Their the ss-1's. They pack quite a punch with all of them going fronts and back together with the sub really kicks your back. I got my couch like 5 inches from the wall and it just slams your back. Even more with these surrounds must be they ad to the overall spl's. Thanks Bugs and Clu for your advice.

----------------

On 3/20/2004 5:17:14 PM michael hurd wrote:

If you find that the stain will not come out of the fabric, you can paint the fabric with SEM ( a trade name ) fabric paint. Comes in a spray bomb from your local automotive paint jobber.

----------------

KLipch told me not to paint them because they are acoustically transperant. But that is different what your saying. Mayby i will talk to my uncle hes retired from the bodyshop business. I am leaning towards selling them and getting black ones instead i just think they would be better for me. But i would like to clean them up before i would sell them. Their not real bad i am just a freak when it comes to perfection at times. I wish i had a digital camera. Even then i wouldn't know how to get it on the page. I'm computer illiterate but getting better.

Thanks, I will first try and clean them and then paint them or buy new grills. But i doubt i will buy new grills because if i sell i would sell them for 200 shipped. And the grills would be about half that. I just think i would like black better. But who knows i got alot options here you guys gave me. Thanks