RF5 or 7's with Outlaw Gear

nu2ht

I am new to this HT stuff and am doing much research on gear. Since I can't demo it, is there anybody out there using the RF5 or 7 with Outlaw gear 950/770? If so, can you give me an idea of the sound quality (ie- is it on the bright side or not)? All comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

I currently use RF5s with an outlaw 950 and Rotel amp. Most of the time people will say that either the amp or the room is producing "bright" sound rather than the pre/pro but I could be wrong.

No, the sound is definately not bright, but nor is it muddy. My single complaint about the 950 is that it seems like it could be a tiny bit quieter, there is a bit more hisssss coming from the horns at idle than I'd like, but this could be due to my Radio Shack interconnects. (Ran out of money) Overall, the 950 is a huge bargain and you're not likely to find anyone with anything bad to say about it.

For the money, the Outlaw's a great amp. Of course, as with any audio gear, the more you put in, the more you get out. Sherbourn is a nice step up at a slightly higher price range. From there, you could step up to Aragon, B&K, or even Crown SS. Each step will be an improvement over the step before.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I do have some of the same/similar questions as nu2ht, so I thought it would be good to post here, rather than starting another thread.

My current system: RF-7, RS-7, RC-7 and RSW-15 with a Yamaha 5560 receiver. I have heard the B&K Ref 50 with the Ref 200.7 amp and really like the sound. However, the price is just out of range for me right now. The B&K 507 is slightly less and will do about the same thing. (Am I right here?)

The Outlaw setup with their 950 processor and amp can be had for a pretty low price. This is a fairly subjective question, but how much difference would I find between the 50/200.7, the 507 and the Outlaw setup keeping in mind price to value?

I guess the bottom line is this: What do you get when you spend more money moving from the Outlaw to the 507 to the 50/200.7?

David

Actually I think Outlaw does give you a certain amount of time to return their gear with no questions asked.

If it were me I'd go with the B&K receiver in a heartbeat over the Outlaw. The B&K seperates would be even better than the receiver but not by a huge margin I wouldn't think. The biggest advantage the seperates would have over the receiver is you can keep the amp and just upgrade the pre/pro when there no longer are updates for it. Just one man's opinion.

Damon,

I see you are using the Rotel 1075 as an amp, the same amp I own. I believe it is not the amp causing your apparent brightness, but could be the room or the processor. Rotel amps are known to be slightly "rounded" in the high end. In other words, they have some designed in high end roll off to give them their charateristic warm and rich sound. That is why I beleive they are an ideal combination with the Klipsch References which tend to be a bit forward and critical. I have never heard any Outlaw gear, but from what owners say, they are a bit forward and critical, and therefore may not be the best combination with Klipsch, unless you like that kind of sound.

Jerry Rappaport

"Rotel amps are known to be slightly "rounded" in the high end. In other words, they have some designed in high end roll off to give them their charateristic warm and rich sound"

That's correct - I've also heard similar things about the B&K, though they are bit more money.

If you can demo units - at home with your own set up - that's always the best option.

----------------

On 3/16/2004 2:00:06 PM damonrpayne wrote:

I currently use RF5s with an outlaw 950 and Rotel amp. Most of the time people will say that either the amp or the room is producing "bright" sound rather than the pre/pro but I could be wrong.

No, the sound is definately not bright, but nor is it muddy. My single complaint about the 950 is that it seems like it could be a tiny bit quieter, there is a bit more hisssss coming from the horns at idle than I'd like, but this could be due to my Radio Shack interconnects. (Ran out of money) Overall, the 950 is a huge bargain and you're not likely to find anyone with anything bad to say about it.

----------------

Damon i have this same problem with my harmon receiver. does this mean i have a noisy preamp section on the receiver or worse ground loop hum which i don't even have anything grounded? But boy does that amp sing it's worth everything i can do to keep it. It just hisses at lower volume through the horns mainly the center. Which i have a different speaker wire than my mains untill tara labs gets my order straightened out.

Wheelman, I had an HK reciever last year and got rid of it for that exact problem, there was ONE channel, my left rear that had a horribly loud hiss. I tried everything to fix it, the only thing that worked was putting it back in the box.

JewishAMerPrince: I did not say my setup was bright, I said that in general pre/pros and rooms typically cause brightness when it is present. Sorry for the confusion.

----------------

On 3/17/2004 12:03:34 PM damonrpayne wrote:

Wheelman, I had an HK reciever last year and got rid of it for that exact problem, there was ONE channel, my left rear that had a horribly loud hiss. I tried everything to fix it, the only thing that worked was putting it back in the box.

JewishAMerPrince: I did not say my setup was bright, I said that in general pre/pros and rooms typically cause brightness when it is present. Sorry for the confusion.

----------------

Damon it's more like a hum and boy does it beat the pants of off any other receiver i owned. I am just worried if it is dangerous because i can live with it if it isn't. It's so much quieter and smoother at louder volumes though. WEre it actually is most of the time. Thanks man for your input wheel