B&O Turntables

kuisis

Does B&O still make TT? Stay away from the older lateral moving arm ones. They don't produce bass well. If they make new ones I have no clue.

hoggy

----------------------

Hoggy,

Why don't they reproduce bass well? My B&O 4002's bass blows away any bass on CD...though I should not say because most are not mastered the same...but suffice to say that my TT/cartridge suffers no loss of bass.

------------------------------------------------

Kuisis,

Are you asking about new ones or vintage? Do they last? I have mine since around 1980. If you don't use it for a time, the lubrication dries up and the arm will not lower (good way to find a deal on eBay). I had to go through my TT before it would work after a long time in storage. It sure sounds sweet now!

You can check out the forum at http://www.beoworld.co.uk/ .

I have had my B&O 1900 for about 26 years now. Over all it is a very good high end consumer tt. It isn't concidered a "high end" turn table but it is quite good. I find that there are some mocrophonics (sp) in the dust cover. I can get sound transmitted from handlig the lid but it isn't anything to really object to. I have a MMC4000 cartrage. This is the stock unit and replacements and upgrades are availabel. The stock cartridge goes for about$300 give or take. I am quite happy with mine. Good luck I hope I was of some help.

Well I guess I should take my statement back. If the people who own B&O TT's like them and say they have good bass, I am no one to argue. I have never owned one. Just have listened to a couple of friends of mine many years ago and remembered the bass never compared well with the CJ Walker table I owned at the time. There are many factors that influence how TT's sound. Suspension, and tone arm are the most important. Again I appoligize if I spoke too soon. I'll shut up and let the people who own B&O speak their piece.

hoggy

I have a b&o TX-2 (one of their later tangential tracking tt's) that I think works very well. This was a charity fleamarket find ($7 with a broken stylus). It replaced my Philips AF877/Grado F1+ as my full time record player.

Build quality is so-so; it's rather flimsy and I am SURE it was overpriced when new. Not bad for $7, though...

I think the tracking of the servo-controlled arm is excellent (this is an heretical view in some circles).

I thought that the (entry-level) b&o MMC-4 cartridge I bought for it was rather "lean sounding", but much of that was the poor state of health of my preamp at that time (EICO HF-85). The Bottlehead Seduction I have now suggests nice, well-balanced sound from this cheap (well, by b&o standards) cartridge. Of course, the proprietary nature of the cartridge is something one has to take into account with any of the b&o tt's, especially since b&o has discontinued supplying new ones, and the styli are nonreplaceable. Aftermarket cartridges are available but quite pricey.

So I guess my bottom line is that the b&o tt's aren't bad if the price is right.

I have two B&O turntables a 1800 and a 2000. Owned the 1800 model for about 20 years, they are not bad turntables and sure they are not top of the line either,like always you usually get what you pay for. One good thing about the B&O turntable is that they are suspended real good, it takes a lot to get them to skip, I havent ran across a better suspended turntable yet. If you have weak floors and are woried about suspension problems this is the turntable that will past the test. The bad thing about these turntables is that only the B&O factory cartridges will fit them as far as I know, and as of now I hear they do not make them anymore and they are bringing some perty good bucks for new ones on ebay up to a 100 bucks for a mmc4 and well over 200 for a mmc3 and mmc2. They mmc5 has been going for around 60 bucks latly and it sounds perty good for the money.

I have a b&o TX-2 (one of their later tangential tracking tt's) that I think works very well. This was a charity fleamarket find ($7 with a broken stylus). It replaced my Philips AF877/Grado F1+ as my full time record player.

Build quality is so-so; it's rather flimsy and I am SURE it was overpriced when new. Not bad for $7, though...

I think the tracking of the servo-controlled arm is excellent (this is an heretical view in some circles).

Mark,

I have never seen the newer ones, but what you say seems to have been backed up by a guy who fixes these things. I asked him how the newer ones compared to those like mine and he did say they were not as sturdy, more plastic replacing metal. My 4002 is HEAVY and sturdy. Here is his link. He fixed some things on my TT, like a screw I broke off, added some RCA cables, etc.

http://www.beomuse.com/home.html

And these are pricey, but our only choice other than used.

http://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/index.htm#stock

Kuisis,

I happen to like the B&O tables and feel one would be a nice addition to your system. The RX-2 radial tracking and TX-2 tangential (linear) tracking models are easy to find and affordable. I used to sell for a B&O dealer when these were current models and they were the easiest sale in the store. We would smack them, rap them with your knuckles, or raise and slam the lid shut while playing a record, without any skipping or problems of any kind. People were not used to seeing that. Most of the tables they'd seen used before would rumble at the slightest touch, or skip if someone walked across the room.

I recommend checking Ebay, Audiogon and the B&O forum for a good deal. Look for a reputable seller that either has the original box/packing, or really knows how to safely pack things for shipping. Try to find one with one of the better cartridges, or be prepared to pay retail for a new replacement. Good luck and let us know if you try one.