K-horns with built-in False Walls?

Ki Choi

Edster00...

Incredible room. Something I have contemplated too. I think I have the space. (For now I am leaving it as is.) The main reason was to bridge the gap from the kitchen into the family room for me. Asthetically, I am very proud of the look of the side wall. The speakers basically hide in the other room. (Hard to do with k horns)

THAT is 100% how it should be done...Complete with the yellow bull**** button too! With your design...could always find the exact sweetspot in any room too. (Just change the V angle.) Many many Kudos!!

IMO, that pic should be in a magazine!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IndyKlipschFan-

Thanks for the kind words!

Your room sure looks awesome too, you have done an outstanding job in there, really nice! I have to hide mine room in the basement, my wife won't let the K-horns up stairs. It works out OK though, I can be downstairs listening to music while she is upstairs watching 'Trading Spaces' or an 'obscure subtitled B&W movie with the cast in period costume'. 2.gif

Zapper:

You do have similar situation with window wood moldings around bass bin of one of my speakers keeping it from having good seals. I am assuming that you have extended the foam seal from top of your bass bins as shown in the photo and all the way down to the tail boards - basically creating extensions of the bass bin and tail board edges to meet your walls.

However, the foam you used seems to be more sound transparent than the rubber material supplied with factory that could cause air leaks through the foam material. Did you experience any issues?

Ki

edster00:

I'd bet you do the vacuuming on every Saturday mornings around your house.2.gif

Judging from the picture of your room, you could have used corners of the room where you have bass traps placed. So, did you have the opportunity to test if the false corners do produce same level of bass energies as the real wall corners with tight seals?

Ki

I could have used the 'real' corners, but because the room is so narrow the sweet spot would have been just a few feet in front of the speakers-way too close to watch TV, and resulting in very near-field listening. By using the false corners the sweet spot is well back into the center of the room. As mentioned above, it also allows me to change the angle of the speakers easily and move the sweet spot as needed. The best solution would have used some or all of a long wall, but that wasn't possible this time around. My listening room will be have better dimensions.

And, I actually do do the vaccuming in that room!

Edster,

I've seen that pic before (or else a similar one) but it still inspires comment - GORGEOUS!!! ...and I really like the concept of the false corners allowing you so much more flexibility with speaker placement, which in turn allows flex. with listening position, etc, etc.

If klipsch ever wants to promote the k-horn again, they could scarcely do better than to come to casa de edster for a photo shoot!

edster00,

I think I see a speck of dust on the right channel tube amp. You better take care of that. The room shows like a model home.

It's a good thing that my camera isn't that good. You would see all my hand prints in the dust from months past.

Q-Man,

It was photos of your old set-up that was my inspiration to do the false corners. I'm not sure if I've seen a photo of your new set-up. Can you post photos again?

If I posted the native size of the photo you would be able to see alot more 'dirt' that you can in this size...I did move a bunch of stuff behind the seating area to get it out of the picture! 2.gif

Thanks for your comments!