Spyware

bkrop

Can anyone give me a recommendation for a free, safe spyware search/destroy site? I'd like to avoid paying for something I could download and use for free plus I don't want to pay online first w/o making sure I am spywareless. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanx

I seriously think you should watch out on some of them. Cnet web site said alot of them were pretending to be spybot search and destroy and were not. then once you download it you couldn't get it out of your computer unless you buy it. Now i had this same problem with pcdoctor. That sucker would give me popup when my screensaver was on no kidding. I couldn't believe. I emailed them and said this has to be illegal and said i would contact the fbi if i had to. They finally told me how to get rid of it, but it is still their lying dorment for me to use. I would go with the real spybot

I just spent many hours last week wrestling with spyware/adware problems. I finally seem to have them under control. First I got Spybot Search and Destroy, then Ad-Aware, then SpyBlaster, then finally CWShredder. All are free (Google search will find the specific sites or else www.download.com has several to download), and each works slightly differently and finds different spyware. All can be updated. My main problem must have been the coolwebsearch bug, which CWShredder is designed specifically to find and destroy; my IE homepage was repeatedly hijacked, and numerous popups kept appearing even after running the first three freeware programs. AFter running CWS. the problems finally stopped. I also got the Yahoo toolbar, and it has effectively blocked further popups.