How to Bi-wire Denon 3800 to RF-3's

king_fisher

hope i'm not being rude, but there's a lot of info on this forum if u do search for "biwire" or "bi-wire" under this section, technical & maybe general.

i was too lazy to save the $50 or so bucks & just went to my dealer (monstercable authorized) & had them make me up a pair of 15ft biwired cables w/ banana plugs for

about $70. just one nice big fat cable to each speaker

w/ 2 bananas(one neg, one positive) on one end (receiver end) & 4 (2 positive & 2 negative) on the other (speaker end) for each cable. maybe that also helps explain the dynamics. cwm12.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 07-02-2001 at 02:42 AM

u bet king. yea think of it also w/ one speaker cable.

u'd twist one end together and stick that in your positive terminal on the receiver & take the 2 leads on the other end 1 to the speaker positive high terminal &

other to the pos. low terminal. then do the same w/ the negative terminal w/ another cable. then u need to

do the other speak so u'd need 4 seperate cables this way. oh, & if u biwire be sure to take off the connectors (gold-straps or wire) on the high-low speaker terminals.

Am I correct in assuming that bi-wiring (not bi-amping) drops the receiver/amp's impedance to 4 ohms (or in half)?

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

I have a very similar setup and what I did was to use stacked banana plugs in the Denon (one plugs into the other). This works very well, is very neat, but is not an inexpensive solution. Gold stackable banana plugs can be bought at Radio Shack.

RF-3's front (Biwired)

RC-3 Center

Energy 12" 200w powered sub

IW 150's side surround

2 Quintet's in rear

Denon 3801

Toshiba DVD

Sony VCR

Sony CD jukebox

Hitachi Ultravision 53 Monitor

This message has been edited by JewishAMerPrince on 07-09-2001 at 09:28 PM

No bi-wiring does not change the impedance. It is simply send to sets of wires through the same speaker output on the receiver. The easiest way to do this is to buy monster cables or equivalent that are already manufactured. I highly recommend doing this. This difference is very noticeable.

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

JVC HR-S3800 Super VHS VCR

Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player

Sony TC-WE425 Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3 Main

Monster m1.4 Biwire Cables

RC-3 Center

RS-3 Rear (Just upgraded the SS-1)

Bought a set of Audioquest 'Slate' pre-made 10' bi-wires for $259 ... ouch! My other half would kill me if she found out I spent that much on 2 speaker wires! But they did really open up my RF-3's, seemed to even make them louder... But, I was disappointed in how the banana plug fit into the Denon 3801. Is there a way to fit the plug into the end of the speaker connectors instead of into the side where normal wire is to be attached?

------------------

Mark

king_fisher,banana plugs DO go into the end of your binding posts, NOT in the sides as does BARE speaker wire.If they won't fit,you've got them wired wrong with your banana plugs.

Keith

Thanks Keith,

In the end of the binding post is a rubber fitting inside the screwable red and black plastic 'nuts' on the post. Tried to unscrew the nuts to get the rubber out but didn't seem to want to unscrew all the way. What do you suggest? I have a Denon Gold 3801 (Asian model) 180watts x 7....

------------------

Mark