free acoustical consulting

michael hurd

At auralex acoustics, they have a FREE pesonalized room analysis that is available on their website. You print out the form ( in pdf format ) and make a sketch of the room and the gear / furnishing on the graph paper (pg 2 of the form) and then fax it to their offices. You will then receive an e-mail or fax from an auralex consultant within 2-3 days with suggestions and product recommedations. 1.gif Btw, the website is www.auralex.com.

That's good to know trey! I mostly posted that so that newcomers and others interested in taking their listening rooms and/or theaters to the next level can have something to reference. I like the idea of building a bass trap into an attic, that is a good use of rather wasted space in my opinion. There is quite a lot of information on construction there as well.

Aurelex makes some amazing diffusors. But for bass traps or absorbtion pannels look at www.realtraps.com just look at the absorbtion coefficients of their pannels. Any good acoustic product will make the room sound better, but better products will make the room sound nothing short of amazing.

That is good of aurelex to offer free advise, but like they say, it is the best advice with the data you give them. If you really want to go all out hire and engineer to come in your room, measure and give suggestions.

I know that a lot has been said about the use of Owens Corning 703 and 705 fibreglass for absorbing ( bass traps and wall panels ), but it is often difficult to obtain and high in price.

Roxul is a canadian manufactuer of mineral wool insulation that is available in many forms, as well as semi-rigid and rigid board products. Their website is www.roxul.com.

The products are also available in the United States, and may be slightly higher in price. To compare pricing, the semi rigid board - RXL 40 in 4" thickness is $ 1.25 cdn a square foot. Artto found a supplier of the owens corning 705 in the suburban chicago area, and was quoted a price of $ 3.85 a square foot for 3" thick. 6.gif

To find these products, you have to look in the industrial section under wholesalers in your area for insulation. The one I found was even willing to sell me 1 sheet if I only wanted one, but most have a minumum order.