forte II amplfier match

tkeady

I just bought a pair of Forte II's and I'm running them off a Marantz 2270 that's over 30 years old. I would like to up grade and have heard the tube type amp & pre-amps will give a better sound. This is my first pair of Klipsch and I've been out of the stereo world for quite a few years and feel I'm at the novice level. Would appreciate any advice.

t

Welcome to the Forum. Yes, tubes do sound great with Klipsch speakers for sure. Others with more experience will go ahead and chime in with their suggestions for you. Just be patient. You'll get a lot of good info. Take your time and digest it before making a hasty decision.

There are probably others here with more experience with different amps but my experience is a definate vote for tubes.

It would help people to make suggestions if you could give a budget range.

I've had my Forte II's for 14 years and only used a handful of amps. This has been my experience.

Old Yamaha Dolby Prologic purchased at the same time as the speakers, was very warm sounding but not very detailed.

Moved down to a Denon 4802 and hated it. Big waist of money with the Forte's and was returned within a month. More detailed and better soundstage than the Yamaha but way way way over bright.

Replaced the Denon with Anthem separates and was happy for a while. Better imaging and detail than the Denon and warmer, but not the warmth of the Yammy.

Added a Lexicon (made by Bryston) amp that only lasted a week. Put the Anthem back in. More detail again than the Anthem, but a little more forward.

Borrowed a pair of Quicksilver Mono's and loved them. Everything I was looking for except they had something wrong mechanically so they were returned.

Just bought another used tube amp which is on it's way to Craig for a quick mod. Hopefully that will be my answer.

My suggestion, run the Forte's off the Marantz and see what you think. It might match up nicely. Just because it's older doesn't mean it won't sound good.

I ran my Khorns for years on my Marantz 2325 and was very happy with it. I still pull it out from time to time to remanice although the controls are a little noisey these days.

My day to day amps are a Jolida 302b slightly modified and a Scott 299c highly modified. Both tube units with much warmer sound for my listening tastes as I age than the Marantz which was great with the Stones, Jethro Tull, loud Dead music, Savoy Brown, Johnny Winter, Etc,Etc.......

Rick

Some of the reading I've done has me leaning toward the Jolida 202a.It's in my price range and the reviews I've read are encouraging, they sound like a good match. At this point I'm happy with the Marantz but always looking to improve.

tk-

I've always like the Denon/Klipsch sound, so I'd try one out to see if you like it. I am running the AVR-4800 in my HT rig now and enjoy it with both Chorus IIs and Forte IIs. For a short time, I was using an outboard Denon SS amp to power my Klipschorns, and it sounded good. But then I picked up the Scott 299B, had Craig work on it, and that sounds even better. I haven't hooked it up to either the Chorus IIs or Forte IIs, but I want to do that at some point to see how they sound with tubes. I bet they'll sound great.

If vintage is not to your liking and new is the only option. I'll tell you from my experience with Jolida and the Cayin TA30 I would go with the Cayin with some upgrades from www.2baudio.com if I was you. I have worked on both and the Cayin is a better built amp of coarse this is my opinion. You can buy the TA30 completely upgraded with easy bias adjust , Auricaps and adjustable feedback installed for about the same bucks as the sugested retail of the Jolida. Give it a look see and do your home work.

Craig

PS,

If you decide to get a TA30 make sure you tell Paul to do the little Klipsch tweak I told him about !

Thanks Craig, it's early on for me and I want to explore all options. This AM I was listening to "The Sex Mob Does Bond" and realized how much I was missing with my old Advents. This is great to rediscover. Thanks for the reply.

t

I just finished building a 12 WPC push pull and initially drove the Forte's with it. The sound is fantastic and 12WPC is certainly enough from vintage jazz to Aerosmith. I now run my Khorns with this amp.

I am in process of selling my 200WPC Carver amp. I will NEVER run soild state with either pair of Klipsch.

Good luck

----------------

On 3/24/2004 3:50:44 PM Brap wrote:

I will NEVER run soild state with either pair of Klipsch.

Good luck

----------------

Brap,

I'm with you. It's been over a month since I returned the Quickies and I haven't felt the urge to fire up the Forte's since. It's been bugging me not to have music, but is it music if it isn't musical?

It only took one try to convert me from SS.