What is this speaker?

I picked up a large speaker at a church garage sale last weekend and I'm curious if anyone knows anything about it or what it might have been designed for.

The plate on the back is AB Systems, Folsom California and the metal grill has Advanced Technology Design Series. The plywood cabinet measures out to about 10 cubic feet and is vented on the bottom like the Cornwall. I removed the single 18" woofer and it is a JBL Professional Series model 2245H.

The individual running the sale didn't seem to know what it was but thought it was a "technology instrument". The cabinet is well constructed with dowel pins, routed edges, side handles, and solid internal bracing and is in good condition. The speaker and cone look great, move a lot of air when connected to an old receiver, but need a new foam surround.

According to the JBL website the woofer is 95 spl, 20-2000 Hz, and 300-600 watts. I don't really have a use in mind but I will probably refinish the cabinet, buy a foam surround kit and fix the woofer, and save it for a subwoofer for a home theater system or give it to my son for bass guitar speaker. I have Cornwalls so I really don't need a subwoofer for my 2 channel sytem. I have an old Adcom GFP 555 I can use to drive it.

I thought at first it might have been for a PA system or an organ but I'm not sure. The best part was the price, $10.

That 2245H was used in JBL's B-460 Monster Subwoofer it requires a huge ported cabinet but should put out some solid bass. I had the smaller one the B-380 with the 15" woofer, the magnet was almost as big as the 15" cast aluminum frame and it had a 4" voice coil. See attached photo. That is one hell of a woofer, I would have it professionally refoamed or reconed as you need the true JBL replacement parts and not some generic kit to make it right.

Not sure about the 20Khz you mention, but as folks said this is a common sub speaker, but it was used quite often in professional environments as the LF. I am coming off the top of my head here, but I think most would cross over this speaker at 300 - 400hz when used as a LF in a multiway loudspeaker arrangement.

It is sought by many and if I understand correctly it has that desired JBL very smooth response curve that gives a bunches of options when box building.

Isn't it amazing how little the seller knows about something he's got marked all the way up to $10!!! -HornEd

PS: If I still lived in the Metroplex I would have doubled your money in my ignorance! 2.gif

Can you show us a photo of your treasure? I agree that getting the speaker refurbished by a pro is well worth it in this case! Then again, I will more than double your money if you will ship it to me in my Northern California mountain retreat.

Wow... can you realize how lucky you were finding such an expensive woofer for only ten bucks???? Please, don't give it to your son! It's not designed for bass guitar purposes, anyways. And I'm pretty sure it would greatly outperform your cornwalls in terms of low bass extension and impact! (damn if I lived in the states I'd buy it from you to use it with my Scalas 3.gif )

Many thanks for the feedback and advice. I checked with a Dallas based company who rebuilds speakers and they would not replace the surround but recommending reconing it at a cost of $250. In keeping with the bargain spirit of the purchase I decided instead to order the kit for $35 and try the project myself. If I bungle it I can still have it professionally reconed.

I'm still not quite sure what I will do with the finished product but I will submit pictures once it is completed. If I decide I have no use for it I will offer it up here for what I have invested in the project.