Is it worth upgrading DVD players now??

beday00

I have been looking at upgrading my DVD player for the past two years and I was wondering if people thought it was smarter to hold off another year or two and try to wait for the new high definition DVD replacement standard before buying.

I currently have a 3 year old Sony DVP-S570D and I was looking at the Denon DVD-2200. I've never had the chance to audition mid level DVD players next to the average joe DVD player. I'm assuming the sound would be obviously different if I were using analog interconnects due to the improved DACs but will the sound be noticebly different when using digital coax since the processing is done in the reciever (correct???).

The rest of my system that would be effected is ...

Reciever: Denon AVR-3802

Speakers: RF-3(front mains), RC-3II(center), RB-3(surrounds), SVS 16-46CS(sub)

TV: Sony 20" Wega (KV-20FV12)

Cables: DIY Cat5 Chris VenHaus(Speaker Cables), Acoustic Research(Interconnects)

Basically I'm wondering if I could spend the $500 on a better upgrade???

Thanks for your help.

Welp, the way I look at it is if you wait, you will always be waiting because technology is always improving, and there will always be something better. Just get something current or new now and be happy with it.

just .02 from "an average Joe"

The way I see it, you will just know when it is time to upgrade. Either the unit will break, or something will come out you just need to have, or most likely, you buy a new TV and DVD player at the same time.

Same with speakers, receivers, etc. - everything will fall into place.

With me and computers, it is easy. As soon as I really cannot play games I want to, time to send $500 or more to Newegg.com to get some new parts.

I think the only real reason to upgrade to the 2200, if you plan to continue using digital connections for the audio on a DVD, would be for its DVD-A and SACD connections, using the analog connections to your receiver. THAT would be worth an upgrade, IMO. But, then, you could do that with a $150 Pioneer 563sa.

Doug

I asked this question before and received many "technical" answers. I to try it out for myself and bought a good digital coax. I hooked it up along with my toslink (optical). To my ears, there is no difference in sound quality between the two cables I have. Hope this helps.

----------------

On 3/24/2004 12:05:53 AM dougdrake wrote:

I think the only real reason to upgrade to the 2200, if you plan to continue using digital connections for the audio on a DVD, would be for its DVD-A and SACD connections, using the analog connections to your receiver. THAT would be worth an upgrade, IMO. But, then, you could do that with a $150 Pioneer 563sa.

Doug

----------------

That is pure nonsense. You can definitely hear a difference between a cheap DVD player and a good one, whether you use a digital connection or not. Anyone who says different has either never compared, or is trying to justify the fact that they have a Weak Link in their system. But don't take my word for it, try it for yourself. You won't be disappointed.

Well, I myself am looking to upgrade my Sony DVD player, only because it is about 6 years old. It's starting to get tempermental (SP?) And back then DTS wasn't out yet, so even though my Eagles DTS DVD sounds great I would like to hear it in DTS 2.gif

I also was looking at the Denon 2200, pretty much the same as the 2900, or close enough for me. I have to side with Todd, and say that I can hardly believe a 150.00 DVD player would compare to the Denon? Don't tell me this is the same concept as cables and interconnects? However... The Denon is a "all in one" unit and being that I have the Denon 3803 I don't think there is a better match... unless I go farther up the chain of Denons... BUT then I believe I would be dealing with the wife 2.gif

I'd say work on upgrading your display to something hi-def first....meanwhile if you just want something better sounding then consider the Pioneer DVD-563A DVD/CD/DVD-A/SACD player ..I have one and many people agree with me that it holds its own against some top notch players. It started out @ around $180 , now it can be had for $149 @ Best Buy , and this week you get any DVD-A or SACD of your choice to go with it.

Here are a few reviews on it..

http://www.slottweak.com/DV_563A/563review.htm

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=1&article_id=509&page_number=1

----------------

On 3/24/2004 1:08:38 AM toddvj wrote:

----------------

On 3/24/2004 12:05:53 AM dougdrake wrote:

Doug

----------------

That is pure nonsense. You can definitely hear a difference between a cheap DVD player and a good one, whether you use a digital connection or not. Anyone who says different has either never compared, or is trying to justify the fact that they have a Weak Link in their system. But don't take my word for it, try it for yourself. You won't be disappointed.

----------------

Have to be careful with the declarative statements, Todd. In YOUR opinion, that is nonsense. I believe there are a HUGE number of people (probably myself included) who are unable to hear a difference between the digital audio signal from a "cheap" DVD player and the digital audio signal from a middle-of-the-road DVD player (which a Denon 2200 is). You were correct, though, to suggest he try it for himself.

Also, in the context of his question (which centers around what I interpret as a "stop gap" upgrade), the cost of the 2200 may not be justified in HIS situation with his rig, especially if using a digital connection.

But, as always, I could be completely wrong. 16.gif

You're right, I should have said "That is pure nonsense, IMO." Anyway, I do not consider myself an "audiophile" by any stretch of the imagination, but I can hear a difference as can my wife, who really isn't into this stuff. As far as a "stop gap" I don't know how soon the HD-DVD players will be out, and you will get DVD-A and SACD if you upgrade. Also, from my experience, anything Sony will sell well on ebay, so you could get a chunk of the money toward the new player that way.

I do agree with the guy that suggested you look into a better TV though. Check out the 26" Samsung Widescreen, a little more than $500, but a great TV for the money.

----------------

On 3/23/2004 10:56:47 PM heretic wrote:

ROTFL -- yeah, and Doom III is on the way!

These other fellas are right about the upgrade stuff.
9.gif
----------------

I have my 2.6 GHz. P4 @ 2.9 GHz., 1 GB. of DDR, ATA/133 HD, etc., but my GeForce 4 Ti4200 will probably need to be retired to my spare computer (900 MHz. Athlon) I look foward to Doom III and Half-Life 2 - they should be good.