Quick question regarding high volumes

KAiN5 (banned )

Since we do not have a subwoofer, I am running the main speakers as Large. Today, I was watching Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones and during the first scene where the huge ship flies over and woofers on my RF-7s were moving like crazy. I had it VERY loud but there was no distortion, no clipping, nothing. But it was just scary watching them move that much. Is this okay or should I reduce the volume?

Movies can contain 20 db peaks above the average level of the program. This means that the peak will require 100 times the power output of the average material.

IMO, it is best not to push too hard without a subwoofer. I have a 140 watt amp that is stable with 4 ohm loads. I run the RF-7s as small and let the sub handle the low frequencies. There is less chance of clipping, a cleaner mid range etc.

Clipping can happen very rapidly and fry tweeters very quickly. Parts will be harder to acquire where you live, so it is better not to need repairs.

Bill

Guest Anonymous

As long as they are under warrantee, let em rip2.gif I have a big sub, but still keep my 5 corns on large, just cause me likes the BASS, the woofers do a fun dance, just not as much excursion as the 4 12" svs woofers do11.gif heh heh heh

You should see them dance to the avalance scene in XXX, or the crashing waves in Blue Crush, or the....16.gif

If you don't hear any distortion their supposed to do that. I've seen woofer jump out big time and i let them do that for hours. As long as i wasn't getting distortion. I had these little bookshelf from acoustic research once i had blaring. My friend couldn't even light a cigarette from 8 foot away the power port in the front of that dinky speaker would put out his lighter. And the woofers were a blur

as long as it sounds clean, then blast away!

for what it's worth, i've got an old pair of marantz 940's (amazing 4 way speakers) and they go flat down into the 20's...but when i get that low, the 12" woofers are moving like 2inches both ways...man it scared the crap out of me the first time i saw it, but i figured there were no bad sounds and eventually i got used to them jumping around all crazy style. i've had them almost a year now and haven't noticed a slightest change in sound from being blasted so hard. i've been meaning to buy a sub, but can't justify the amount it'd cost me to get any response below 20Hz (which my mains handle amazingly well).

----------------

On 3/25/2004 6:14:42 PM m00n wrote:

KRB,

you been promising Klipsch as long as I've been here on this board. When are you going to fullfill your promise?
2.gif
----------------

Be patient. 2.gif

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I am probably a lot closer than you realize. If it will not work out, I will let you know.

Just this last week, I found out I am SIGNIFIGANTLY more financially secure than I thought.

Seriously, when I get the final result, I will let you guys know in the General forum.

i agree with marks dad....

i set my KLF-30's to large.... i still get a great deal of sound from my sub on the explosions...

i get a much better sound with the large setting compared to the small setting....

as long as you have an amplifier with enough power that will not clip on the loud passages.... (i use a carver professional ZR1000 digital amp to power my KLF-30's - 225 watts per channel @ 8 ohms)