Calibrating your speakers � what�s the preferred way ???

john4618

When I calibrate my speakers I use my SPL meter and the built-in tones of my receiver.

What Im wondering is why do I sometimes read that its best to use a calibration disc like the ones from Digital Video Essentials or Avia to calibrate your speakers ???

Is there a preferred way ???

What are the pros and cons of using the built-in tones from a receiver or pre/pro vs. using a calibration disc ???

I have long used an analog SPL meter and a set-up disk. First it was Video Essentials and now it's Avia. Since I have multiple big screen TV's and several HT's... and very little spare time, lately I have had a pro set-up and fine tune the Mitsubishis. His clear choice is Avia... an no, he doesn't set up the speakers... just the HDTV's... I'm picky as to who fiddles with my Klipsch herd. -HornEd

PS: The disk can test out your whole system while the tones are an integral part of it. The clear winner... Avia! And it just isn't that expensive. The most important part of your rig is the acoustic environment that your listening room represents. There's a word of info to assimilate in speaker placement.

One of the key differences between using any setup disc vs. the tone in the receiver is the type of tone you're getting.

When you do a test tone on your reciever you're essentially getting white noise; all the drivers are pumping out noise. Basically the loudest tone of you speaker is going to be what's measured by the SPL meter.

When you use the DVD test tones, they actually use tones at specific hertz. Anyone who's seen speaker measurements in a review knows that the db output of a speaker is different at various hz and not perfectly flat. While some people won't ever care or find any value in this point, it can be very important to those who use equalizers, because it allows them to fine tune the volume across the entire audiable spectrum, instead of jsut matching the loudest hz of each speaker in a white noise test.

Of course, alot of that is going the way of the dinosaurs anyway. Recievers are starting to have auto-calibration mics with built in eq adjustment, so it's just a matter of time before this whole notion of sitting in a room with an SPL meter and tuning your EQ will simply be done with.

here is a link that has a test disk for sale

and one can get a free freq. chart to print out and explanation on of to use the RS analog meter.

http://www.rivesaudio.com/Software%26Measurements/soft_frames.html

I will take readings this weekend and chart things out.

not much I can do to adjust peaks and valleys in freq. but it good to know.

can only adjust level of speakers and subwoofer levels.

You use a disk....so that:

A: you can find where the refence level of 85 dB is...on your volume knob for when you watch DVD movies

B: find where the comfortable level of 75 dB is....when wife is watching with you hehehe

C: Balance system using a source material so it will acount for the DVD player and interconnects....etc etc etc

D: The AVIA disk will play the tones longer to make for an easier setup....

E: there are other tests on the DVD to help set up your system better..like bass management, sound effects from receiver, etc etc..

F: the AVIA disk also has a good video setup section....

HTH

you might also find that the end volume you set all your speakers will differ between using the reciever's or the discs setup options...since you'll be using the disc for playback, it only makes sense that you calibrate your system based on the disc and not the reciever.

Thanks everyone for your comments -- great info!

It seems the preferred way is to use a calibration disk.

I bought the AVIA disk several months ago but I have not even opened it yet -- so as soon as I figure out how to use it, that's what I'll start using from now on.