Opinions on this reference 7.1 setup?

jephdood

Mains/Fronts - RF-3

Center - RC-3II

Rears - RB-3

Rear Center - Pair of Quintets on pole stands

Sub - HSU VTF-3 MKII

My question is this.. are the quintets too small for rear centers? If so, what if I added a smaller HSU sub to just them (behind the couch) connected via speaker-level inputs/outputs?

Would that work to "beef up" the quintets for rear center if the action they'll get wouldn't keep up with everything else?

Oh well if you already have them.. Hmmm.. You should do whats best for you... My question though would be how well the quint would timber match with your reference speakers. It may sound fine, I really don't know.

It's easy really. If you already have a quint, hook it up, see if you like it. Sounds like a no loss situation to me.1.gif

if it doesn't match up well, I would suggest getting another RC3-II before getting a different sub to run with the quint. But that's coming from someone who knows nothing about quints. 1.gif

----------------

On 3/26/2004 12:14:20 AM jephdood wrote:

I can do that if it would be better. So forget the 7.1 and go 6.1 with an RC-3II? I just thought since I already had 'em, I could use 'em.

----------------

oh if you already have them give em try no doubt. Heck you may love it. Their are no rules. Heck you could use car speakers if you got em as long as you enjoy it. Just like mOOn said. I agree and you should experiment.

you will sound pretty good, but the quints, are a bit small, and you will also find that the rc 3 is a tiny center, even for a front consisting of rf 3's, i had two, and i used them as front and rear centers, they always left me wanting, until i upgraded to the rc 7, but it does go well with your rb's12.gif

If you have the means I would go with the RC 3 II. You would be guaranteed a timbre match. I have a mixed system that on the surface makes no sense but it sounds pretty good. Granted its not my end goal but it kept me within my initial budget and now I can take my time and work on getting what I really want which is an all Heritage HT. RC 3 IIs are no longer in manufacture and their replacement is the RC 35. You might be able to pick up one at one of the auction sites. And like everyone says its what sounds good to you and what you like. But if you want a recommendation get a RC 3 II or RC 35.