My New 2 Channel Babies

Well I didn't do a plot or anything and my tests are by no means exhaustive, but with my room boost, using a rat shack meter at 35 hz and a freq sweep cd from the dealer the spl did not dip until after 35 hz, but fell very sharply after that. Even around 30hz there was some response mostly just rumbles though and not very loud. For a bookshelf of this size it's pretty amazing what dyanudio was able to do with these drivers. Very little dynamic compression, almost zero port noise and distortion at 95 decibels. (as loud as I would ever listen in my bedroom) What I love is that even at lower volume levels, the conveyance of the musical event is not lost like on some other speakers. Some speakers need to be turned up a bit to effectively create the illusion of real music and not just sound coming out of a box. The contour s1.4 creates this illusion even at low listening levels (didn't measure but I would guess around 70 db). I love the highs the Dynaudio dome tweeters produce. Its extended as hell and seems to go on forever without ever getting harsh or too bright. It just seems to soar above and beyond your head without ever hitting/splitting you ears like some other tweeters. I'm a huge fan of the Dynaudio soft dome.

----------------

On 3/28/2004 3:16:59 AM michael hurd wrote:

Just because they have a f3 of 41 hz, doesn't mean that they won't produce useable response lower than that. Who cares what a graph looks like, by changing the scale of the graph, you can make a speaker appear to be good or bad.

----------------

I thought thats why he said they were flat...he must care at least a little bit. and there is a difference between USEABLE response and FLAT response.

----------------

On 3/28/2004 7:52:18 PM Bill H. wrote:

Cleve,

What is that? Looks like a Klipsch center channel speaker............Pretty though.

----------------

Bill;

Well, it's HornEd's idea of a 'center channel!' It's a Klipsch Epic CF-4 - for scale those are 12" woofers and that's a 35" TV next to it.

I'm actually considering looking around for another CF-4 as the center channel. Gotta save some money first, though - Since mid-December, when I started reading this board, I've bought an RW-12, an RC-25, a pair of RS-25's, the CF-4's, and a McIntosh MAC4100 receiver. I'm gonna be audio-system poor if I keep this up! 2.gif

Jim