To 10 rock & roll bands of all time. -- Do you agree?

m00n

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here, I'll tell you what. Instead of crucifying that guy for his top ten (which we've done to death here already) you can crucify me for mine, since I'm such an opinionated snob.

Top 10 rock acts of all time:

1) Mothers of Invention

What exactly didn't Frank and the boys do during their career? They spun fusion jazz and whatever the prevailing pop sound at the time into an irreverant masterpiece - and they did it every single album. Furthermore, they weren't just funny, every incarnation of the Zappa supporting cast was a group of supremely talented musicians.

2) Beatles

Not much explanation needed here.

3) Cream

The first true rock supergroup, the end of Eric Clapton's relevance, and the band who really invented the heavy metal genre. Sabbath, Zep, and all those who followed borrowed heavily from the power-riffing style Clapton later abandoned for a noodle-riffic blues wanking he proceeded to torture us all with for the next 30 years. Pretty good resume piece, to have created an entire genre in three years, though.

4) Jethro Tull

C'mon. Ian deserves a nod here if for no other reason than he crafted so much brilliant music completely on his own - playing all the instruments in the studio, and only having a band to do tours. Plus, he opened the door for all kinds of people to use all manner of non-conventional instruments in rock (Status Quo with their heavy metal bagpipes, anyone?)

5) Queen

Other than having the greatest rock tenors of all time, and easily one of the best rock guitarists of all time in their lineup, these guys dared to do nearly anything from both a musical and a performance standpoint. Every album was a sonic adventure, with surprises around every corner.

6) King Crimson

Robert Fripp spent the last 35 years doing whatever the heck he felt like doing in the studio, and we are blessed with an incredible catalog of avant-garde genre-bending music as a result. His masterpieces inspired dozens of abstract rock and metal bands throughout the 70's, 80's, 90's, and still today. If that isn't influential, nothing is.

7) Yes

Not the first to try large-scale neo-classical composition as a rock form, but the first to truly succeed (from a pop standpoint) and excel at it. Who here doesn't have the haunting acoustic intro from "Roundabout" permanently etched in their frontal lobes? How many dozens of bands followed in their footsteps, reviving classical composition as a valid form of pop music expression?

8) David Bowie

Technically the only solo artist on this list, although Frank pretty much was one, as was Fripp and Ian. How can any list not include Ziggy? Whether you liked it or not, glam had a 20 year run, and the blame rests squarely on his shoulders. Furthermore, his orchestration and pop sensibilities can be found in nearly every pop record from '75 right on through the end of the millenium.

9) Mr. Bungle

Yeah, Zappa and Fripp both did the abstract thing years before, but Patton, Spruance, and the rest of these guys are one of the few that followed who truly pushed the envelope, shattering all manner of barriers and injecting some desperately needed life (and humour) into a scene that had become utterly sullen since the grunge rock explosion. Pick up a copy of Disco Volante one day and you'll have a whole new understanding of "disturbing".

10) Radiohead

Another example of a band willing to put their commercial success on the line to reinvent themselves every album. To sit and listen consecutively to Pablo Honey, The Bends, OK Computer, and Kid A is to experience a maturation process that is truly awe-inspiring. Along the way, you hear dozens of memorable songs of which many a band dream of writing even one in their careers.

Honorable mention:

Pink Floyd

They didn't make the top 10 because, really, they didn't influence the scene so much as they left a lasting impression. No one has really "borrowed" from the Floyd method. Also, they really became functionally irrelevant after the Waters era, and it was an embarrassment to their legacy.

Griffin----Well I sure as Hell agree with you about Clapton and Cream. After Cream Clapton just faded away. I prefer Gibson SG-Marshall Clapton to Stratocaster-Twin Reverb Clapton. I guess that all along Clapton just wanted to be Steve Cropper.

Well thank God that Blue Cheer picked-up the gauntlet.

----------------

On 3/31/2004 4:37:35 PM Griffinator wrote:

----------------

On 3/29/2004 6:57:21 PM wheelman wrote:

Metallica does have a sense of blues on the load and reload albums. They have melody slamming riffs. That are articulate and tight. They do have their Pagan styles but that is the beauty of some of it. You obviously haven't heard Kirk Hammett play some of the most emotional leads you will ever hear. The Ramones Do? C'mon i like some of the ramones but they are way lamer.

----------------

Melody? You call that melody? Crikey!

Kirk Hammett was a decent guitarist right up until he quit tooting. You listen to his lead "chops" nowadays - they're the same licks he used to play, only now they're a l o t s l o w e r

Oh - and
St Anger
is the biggest joke in the history of metal. Absolutely unlistenable noise. My best guess is that Bob, James, and Kirk got together and decided that they would piss off the old Metallica fans once and for all by releasing an album that wasn't "commercial" or "radio friendly", but was absolute dogcrap compared to the finest metal album of all time,
Master of Puppets

----------------

Well I think radiohead sucks. Creep that was ok for about fifteen seconds. I wouldn't say Cream was the inventer of Heavy Metal I would say Sabbath. I don't care if Cream came out with a choppy riff. Sabbath was the brain child behind all metal. Kirk's slower more Keith Richards type, Billy Gibbons style is pretty cool i think, and absolutely nothing like his older stuff. The new Metallica album is pretty good to i think. No leads but they wouldn't of fit that well for that brutal rythym. About the only thing i didn't care for was the snare drum. Have you ever heard the newer stuff live? It puts it under a whole new light. My brother and just about everyone i know plays guitar and when i have company over and the tubes glowing for meltdown he plays a newer metallica tune it just about makes people sh!t their pants. On how heavy it is compared to the older stuff even though we are bigger fans of the older stuff. Listening to st. anger guitar through an original dual rectofier and half stack will make your hairs stand up on your arm. NO REMORSE11.gif

To some degree there's actually two different questions here.

Are we asking "Which rock bands had the most influence on the course of rock music, other rock musicians, and made a difference in the ongoing evolution of rock and its history?"

Or are we asking "Which rock bands had the biggest hits, the most success, and turned the most kids onto rock and roll?"

Both would be valid conditions for being a "Top Rock and Roll Band", and there might be some overlap, but the two lists would be pretty different, I bet.

Where would you put The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, The Kinks, The Ramones, Nirvana, Metallica, Yes, Run DMC, Lynard Skynard, The Charlie Danials Band, Emerson Lake And Palmer, King Crimson, Queen, Pink Floyd, Cream, Dave Mathews Band, Bruce Springstein and the E Street Band, Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Crosby Still and Nash, Creedence Clearwater Reviveal, The Mothers of Invention, Fleetwood Mac, Led Zepplin, The Turtles, Simon and Garfinkle, The Greatful Dead, Phish, Prodigy, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead, R.E.M., Godsmack, and a host of others?

----------------

On 3/31/2004 10:32:06 PM wheelman wrote:

Well I think radiohead sucks. Creep that was ok for about fifteen seconds. I wouldn't say Cream was the inventer of Heavy Metal I would say Sabbath. I don't care if Cream came out with a choppy riff. Sabbath was the brain child behind all metal. Kirk's slower more Keith Richards type, Billy Gibbons style is pretty cool i think, and absolutely nothing like his older stuff. The new Metallica album is pretty good to i think. No leads but they wouldn't of fit that well for that brutal rythym. About the only thing i didn't care for was the snare drum. Have you ever heard the newer stuff live? It puts it under a whole new light. My brother and just about everyone i know plays guitar and when i have company over and the tubes glowing for meltdown he plays a newer metallica tune it just about makes people sh!t their pants. On how heavy it is compared to the older stuff even though we are bigger fans of the older stuff. Listening to st. anger guitar through an original dual rectofier and half stack will make your hairs stand up on your arm. NO REMORSE
11.gif

----------------

Well, Radiohead has that effect on people. They either love them or hate them. I'm not going to go back and forth with you on Cream/Sabbath, obviously we're not going to get anywhere on that one.

You need to listen a little more carefully to Kirk's lead work. I can point out, lick for lick, exactly which Puppets/Lightning tracks he played each of these "new" licks on at 5x speed. It's one thing to change your style, it's something completely different to play slower and say you've gotten "bluesy". Almost as bad as Clapton.

White Zombie is a really great live band, too. Not surprising - they don't play anything. Being good live means jack squat to me unless you're playing something really challenging. Who knows, though, now that they all quit the blow, maybe mustering up enough energy to plug in is a challenge.

Why in the heck would I want to listen to a CD through a half-stack? If it sounds that great, maybe that's the problem - Bob mixed it on a half-stack. Figures. He's getting senile, it makes perfect sense. Should I try it on the overdrive channel? 9.gif

That is the question: Whether t is nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,

and be a popular band

Or to take guitar against a sea of mediocrity,

And by opposing, end rock n roll as we know it?

3.gif

----------------

On 4/1/2004 9:40:11 AM Griffinator wrote:

----------------

On 3/31/2004 10:32:06 PM wheelman wrote:

Well I think radiohead sucks. Creep that was ok for about fifteen seconds. I wouldn't say Cream was the inventer of Heavy Metal I would say Sabbath. I don't care if Cream came out with a choppy riff. Sabbath was the brain child behind all metal. Kirk's slower more Keith Richards type, Billy Gibbons style is pretty cool i think, and absolutely nothing like his older stuff. The new Metallica album is pretty good to i think. No leads but they wouldn't of fit that well for that brutal rythym. About the only thing i didn't care for was the snare drum. Have you ever heard the newer stuff live? It puts it under a whole new light. My brother and just about everyone i know plays guitar and when i have company over and the tubes glowing for meltdown he plays a newer metallica tune it just about makes people sh!t their pants. On how heavy it is compared to the older stuff even though we are bigger fans of the older stuff. Listening to st. anger guitar through an original dual rectofier and half stack will make your hairs stand up on your arm. NO REMORSE
11.gif

----------------

Well, Radiohead has that effect on people. They either love them or hate them. I'm not going to go back and forth with you on Cream/Sabbath, obviously we're not going to get anywhere on that one.

You need to listen a little more carefully to Kirk's lead work. I can point out, lick for lick, exactly which
Puppets
/
Lightning
tracks he played each of these "new" licks on at 5x speed. It's one thing to change your style, it's something completely different to play slower and say you've gotten "bluesy". Almost as bad as Clapton.

White Zombie is a really great live band, too. Not surprising - they don't play anything. Being good live means jack squat to me unless you're playing something really challenging. Who knows, though, now that they all quit the blow, maybe mustering up enough energy to plug in is a challenge.

Why in the heck would I want to listen to a CD through a half-stack? If it sounds that great, maybe that's the problem - Bob mixed it on a half-stack. Figures. He's getting senile, it makes perfect sense. Should I try it on the overdrive channel?
9.gif

----------------

Yeah i guess we wouldn't get anywhere on the Cream thing. I do like Cream, but no way were they anything like Sabbath. Yeah you just hear santitarium, Orion, Fade to Black, ONe, No Remorse, solos all the time on the newer stuff? 14.gif Listen to the music through a half stack. I meant play their music through a half stack and feel the vibe. It's alot heavier and bluesier than you think. C.O.C. is a great band. AcDC should be on that list if that doesn't make it i don't know what should. That is strickly rock and roll. Alice and Chains where very influencial and a great band. You wouldn't have Godsmack that's for sure. I do believe this poll was about rock and roll bands and not the power puff girls.

----------------

On 4/1/2004 11:58:09 AM wheelman wrote:

You wouldn't have Godsmack that's for sure.

----------------

And the world would be a better place for it! 14.gif

They are the most one-dimensional shlock band I've ever heard in my life. The only thing even remotely useful in that band is the drummer. Man, Erna can't even write a new set of lyrics for each song! How many GodSchlock songs have I heard "Demons Dreaming" at least once?! And hey, while you're at it, Sully, how 'bout learning to sing more than 5 notes?! Every song, over and over again, it's root, half step up, root, whole step down. ANNOYING!

----------------

On 4/1/2004 12:13:04 PM Griffinator wrote:

----------------

On 4/1/2004 11:58:09 AM wheelman wrote:

You wouldn't have Godsmack that's for sure.

----------------

And the world would be a better place for it!
14.gif

They are the most one-dimensional shlock band I've ever heard in my life. The only thing even remotely useful in that band is the drummer. Man, Erna can't even write a new set of lyrics for each song! How many GodSchlock songs have I heard "Demons Dreaming" at least once?! And hey, while you're at it, Sully, how 'bout learning to sing more than 5 notes?! Every song, over and over again, it's root, half step up, root, whole step down. ANNOYING!

----------------

I totally agee if you want just hit repeat on one song and that is pretty much what your going to get. I remember when they came out years before they got all the radio play. Everyone was dying to hear a new Alice and chains or just hear Laynes voice ( he will be missed). Then Godsmack came out and we were like this is cool for now. Except get back every other word or you gotta get away from me. I just meant Alice and chains spawned much of the newer bands wether good or bad.