To 10 rock & roll bands of all time. -- Do you agree?

m00n

Here are potential bands for the top ten list; they are Rock N Roll Music Hall of Fame inductees. The question is who should be on the top ten list? How does one choose between Michael Jackson and ZZ Top?

1. Chuck Berry

James Brown

Ray Charles

Sam Cooke

Fats Domino

The Everly Brothers

Buddy Holly

Jerry Lee Lewis

Elvis Presley

Little Richard

1. The Coasters

Eddie Cochran

Bo Diddley

Aretha Franklin

Marvin Gaye

Bill Haley

B. B. King

Clyde McPhatter

Ricky Nelson

Roy Orbison

Carl Perkins

Smokey Robinson

Big Joe Turner

Muddy Waters

Jackie Wilson

2. The Beach Boys

The Beatles

The Drifters

Bob Dylan

The Supremes

3. Dion

Otis Redding

The Rolling Stones

The Temptations

Stevie Wonder

4. Hank Ballard

Bobby Darin

The Four Seasons

The Four Tops

The Kinks

The Platters

Simon and Garfunkel

The Who

5. LaVern Baker

The Byrds

John Lee Hooker

The Impressions

Wilson Pickett

Jimmy Reed

Ike and Tina Turner

6. Bobby "Blue" Bland

Booker T. and the M.G.'s

Johnny Cash

The Isley Brothers

The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Sam and Dave

The Yardbirds

7. Ruth Brown

Cream

Creedence Clearwater Revival

The Doors

Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers

Etta James

Van Morrison

Sly and the Family Stone

8. The Animals

The Band

Duane Eddy

The Grateful Dead

Elton John

John Lennon

Bob Marley

Rod Stewart

9. The Allman Brothers Band

Al Green

Janis Joplin

Led Zeppelin

Martha and the Vandellas

Neil Young

Frank Zappa

10. David Bowie

Gladys Knight and the Pips

Jefferson Airplane

Little Willie John

Pink Floyd

The Shirelles

The Velvet Underground

11. The (Young) Rascals

The Bee Gees

Buffalo Springfield

Crosby, Stills and Nash

The Jackson Five

Joni Mitchell

Parliament-Funkadelic

12. The Eagles

Fleetwood Mac

The Mamas and the Papas

Lloyd Price

Santana

Gene Vincent

13. Billy Joel

Curtis Mayfield

Paul McCartney

Del Shannon

Dusty Springfield

Bruce Springsteen

The Staple Singers

14. Eric Clapton

Earth, Wind & Fire

Lovin' Spoonful

The Moonglows

Bonnie Raitt

James Taylor

15. Aerosmith

Solomon Burke

The Flamingos

Michael Jackson

Queen

Paul Simon

Steely Dan

Ritchie Valens

16. Isaac Hayes

Brenda Lee

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Gene Pitney

Ramones

Talking Heads

17. AC/DC

The Clash

Elvis Costello & the Attractions

The Police

Righteous Brothers

18. Jackson Browne

The Dells

George Harrison

Prince

Bob Seger

Traffic

ZZ Top

3.gif

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the list up to number 4! Except I'd put the Stones at #1 Rock And Roll band of all time based on years playing and hit output over time. Missing also are Chigago, Moody Blues and The Kinks.

I agree it is difficult to pick a top ten for everyone, it is so subjuctive.

Rick

Lists Lists lists...they always run a bit too short.

From your Oldies lists...you missed...

Slowhand - Yeouch!

Albert King

Taj Mahal

Be Bop Deluxe

UFO

Traffic/Stevie Winwood

Emerson Lake and Palmer

Tangerine Dream

The Who

Little Feat

From the last 20 Years

The Jam

The Psychedelic Furs

Camper Van Beehtoven/Cracker

The Church

Bush

The Cure

Flesh For Lulu ( A Moonie type band)

The Smithereens

The Replacements/Paul Westerberg

The Stranglers

REM

How about a dab of grunge

Nirvana

Soul Asylum

Now the Punk Guys...Fun or Furious

Rancid

B52s

The Ramones

The Clash

Green Day

The Offspring

MXPX

And lets not forget my Guitar Favorites

Jeff Beck

Joe Satriani

Eric Johnson

AND NOW FOR THE 21st CENTURY!

Trapt

Auidoslave

Queens of the Stone Age

3 Doors Down

Chevelle

Creed

Cold

Eve 6

Foo Fighters

Fuel

Hoobastank

Nickelback

Puddle of Mudd

Smashing Pumpkins

The White Stripes

The Vines

12 Stones

Theory of a Deadman

Evanescence

AFI

POD

The Strokes

WHHEEEEEEEEEE

Todd---Yeah but Elvis did his best work with one band, a band that certainly existed as a recording and touring unit.

And Joplin did her best work as a member of Big Brother. I remember that lots of hippys wouldn't listen to Joplin after she left Big Brother because she "sold out". Not to mention that she went musically downhill after Big Brother anyway.

And the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Hell, that was a band, not a guy.

So I don't think the guys reasoning holds up Todd.

post-6913-13819253671414_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 3/28/2004 11:41:03 PM TBrennan wrote:

So I don't think the guys reasoning holds up Todd.

----------------

I'm not saying his reasoning holds up, just that he did have a reasoning. It's just like when people rate the best (singer, guitar player, etc.) alive, so they can leave out anyone who is passed away. I try to make my own top 10 lists all the time, but I never write them down.

I just can't understand how longevity should play any part whatsoever in how a band ranks in such a list.

So what if Aerosmith has been around for 30 years? (1st album, S/T, in 1974)

That doesn't mean they weren't completely irrelevant after Permanent Vacation.

Same thing with the Stones. They're a laughingstock now. They were a laughingstock after the Steel Wheel...chairs, as coined by Mad Magazine, tour. Before they were a laughingstock, they were a copycat band. In Her Magesty's Satanic Service came out about 6 months after Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. So much of their material is obviously a hijacking of whatever was popular at the time. Kinks and Beatles in the 60's and eary 70's. Disco in the late 70's. How does that make them superior to, say, Cream, who, indirectly, pioneered the heavy metal genre with their riff-driven brand of power rock, but only lasted 3 years?

That is the crappiest top ten i ever seen. U2 shouldn't even been on their. Bob Marley was great but not top ten great. I love PInk Floyd and i don't even know if they would make the top ten. We are talking rock bands here and i did not even see Metallica. Which is crazy is even crazier not to even see Black Sabbath. Music is so subjective and i could make a list but tomorrow i would forget someone that was better. Just because their are so many greats. Jimi Hendrix wheeeeew! Or they could of made it the top ten that change the world. It might of been easier. Even then wow! That would be hard. AcDC well i don't know about anyone else but that is rock and roll. Old Guns and Roses could take out alot of the ones mentioned. Old Aerosmith dang that was some good stuff. Tom Petty makes really good music. But know i don't agree with any of them accept the stones and the beatles (PoP). Their was only like one rock band even on the list. Who makes these and who votes? If it is just people on line then that would answer my question. They did say top ten rock not pop, psychodelic, folk, reggae, motown, punk? "oh" and by the way the guy from white stripes sucks on the guitar his music is ok but to beat out Eddie Van Halen is ludacris mOOn. Did you know Eddie was a prodigy on the piano when he was young he moved her from a different country and was a boy genius on the piano and was picked on constintly from other kids for being foreign.

Top ten lists really don't bother me. They're fun to look at, analyze and react to. I do, however, agree with Chuckears about music being a very personal thing. There were several bands mentioned above that I wouldn't listen to if you promised me a years supply of Chicago Style Hot Dogs. Although this will date me, it's worth a mention. While in the service and stationed in Europe, I saw the Rolling Stones, The Who and The Spencer Davis Group, all live and in clubs. Given that atmosphere, The Spencer Davis Group would always be my first choice. Their music absolutely forced people to get up and dance. With that in mind, the SDG would have to be somewhere in my top ten. I'm cool with calling The Stones "Number One" though. They've done good for a long long time.

Here's my list:

DUH BANDS FROM A to Z DARE HIT ALBUMS

Anderson, Anderson And Their Son He Aint Heavy We Be All Related

Blind Crop Duster Pilots Flap Those Arms Not Those Lips

Chief Executive Offenders Songs O Da Workin' Dudes

Dungaree Dragnetters Velcro Fly by Shootin

EEEK Its a Mouse Thank You Fur lettin Me Be Mice Elf

Feast of Fumbled Flea Flickers Take Da Fleas Offa Dat Thang

Gomer Wears Tights Good Golly Miss Aunt Bea!

Hackem , Over and Dover Whats Your Blood Type

Instantaneous Insult Im In your Face, So What?

Ja Lovey Ja Ba Ba Love Joy Git Off My Dogs

Kernel Who? Thats Fried Chicken Yur Lickin

Last On Your List We Met In The Walmart

Mistaken Money Managers I Can Count On Your Wallet

Nobodys Bidness Keepa Ya Mouth Shut or Else

Oh You Did Did Ya Drop Dead Again, Please

Painfully Petrified Projectiles Scared Stiff For Ever Over You

Question Mark & the Mysterians Wheres My 96 Tears Record?

Resistance Required Please Hold It Just One Dang Minute

Santa and His Road Apples Im Getting Nuttin For Xmas

Toddler Tracker Traps Trippin Da Light Cord Fantastic UUU Again Youre My Nightmare And Daymare

VP In Public Meter Maids Me Do It

Warts Is Yet to Come Kiss Dat Frog Goodnight

X Them Out 4 Good Your Will, My Last Testament

Y Chromosomes Anyone? Borrowing Your Brain Cell

Zee Wider Paper Clips I Cant Drive 55 Or Walk For That Matter

What a joke: the Ramones? Bob Marley? Sly and the Family Stone? the Grateful Dead? the Velvet Underground? Gimme a break. You might as well throw in the Monkees. Obviously, the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, and Led Zeppelin belong. I am not a big fan of the Who, but I admit that they belong in that list before the abovementioned. Here's my short list of bands to replace those above:

The Police

Rush

Yes

Genesis

Bruce Springsteen

The Doors

Jimi Hendrix

Dire Straits

Jabez---The Ramones were a VERY important and influential band, influential way out of proportion to how well they actually sold. They inspired hordes of musicians to tighten up, cut the crap and get back to basics.

I know, back in 19and77 I was one of those guys. You gotta bear in mind that rock music was dominated by leaden, overarranged, soulless bands like Boston, Kansas, Forienger and Styx (well their Tommy Shaw songs were good). About the only fresh thing mid-70s was Thin Lizzy, who by the way, should be listed with the top 10 bands of all time, no doubt.

So then you go and see the Ramones and it's an epithany; a little light goes on inside your head, it's like Jake Blues in church, "I see The Light". I stripped my drum kit down to 4 pieces and stopped playing fills. I reconcentrated on the beat, the drive, the relationship between bassdrum and snare; forget the toms. With a couple of pals we formed a power-trio that played stripped-down, fast rock and roll. We had a blast.

The Ramones were a GREAT live band; in terms of power-drive, heavy-tone and sheer bloodyminded rock-steady they made Metalica sound like The Carpenters.

The Doors didn't even have a bass player. How can you take a band seriously that doesn't have a bassist? The guys in that band were obviously missing the whole point. Plus they were a chick's band anyway, not many guys listened to them but all the chicks were ga-ga, I remember my wife and her girlfriend Maureen Duffy (man she was cute, I tried to get them to...ahh, nevermind) were goofy over Jim Morrison. Kind'a like a "hip" version of Justin Timberlake.

Well that's how I see it anyway buddy.

----------------

On 3/29/2004 2:20:39 PM TBrennan wrote:

Jabez---The Ramones were a VERY important and influential band, influential way out of proportion to how well they actually sold. They inspired hordes of musicians to tighten up, cut the crap and get back to basics.

----------------

TBrennan -- I really do respect your view on the place of the Ramones in rock history, but I cannot agree with their placement in the top 10 rock bands of all time. Obviously, this is all very subjective. No doubt, some one is reading this post and asking increduously why the Backstreet Boys are absent from the top 10.

Going by your logic though (i.e., that the band shook the foundations at the time), I would put the Sex Pistols or Nirvana (both of whom I do not like for varying reasons).

What about Queen? They were pretty damned influential too.

If musicians were drafting the list, Rush would be in there -- but you just know that some guy working for MSNBC is not going to put Rush even in the top 50 rock bands. He'd come up with some half-assed reasoning why the Insane Clown Posse or Simon and Garfunkel deserve higher placement.

I see no mention of 'Ten Years After' in any of the lists posted -- Alvin Lee and group were certainly "one of the best", in my opinion. Personally, "rock & roll" to me, will always be Little Richard, Fats Domino, Buddy Holly, Bill Haley & The Comets, and all the others from the 50's -- many of whom I had the good fortune of seeing in-person once or twice. Those were the days!!! Ouch -- getting old!! Cheers!

The Ramones were a GREAT live band; in terms of power-drive, heavy-tone and sheer bloodyminded rock-steady they made Metalica sound like The Carpenters.

----------------

The Ramones make Metallica sound like the Carpenters? That is insane not crazy insane. Metallica toured with the ramones and blew their sh!t in the wind. And another thing i read that radiohead compared to the beatles abbie road is even more insane. Yeah maybe from the radiohead internet poll voters. How is that even credable? I can obviously see you guys are biased towards these bands but get serious. That just aint happening. Their probally is only one band that could keep up with Metallica at a real show not an imaginary one. Would be ACDC they kick live to. The Ramones and radiohead were pretty big influences, and i do like them both, but to compare them to those bands. Metallica was a huge influence to. What about nirvana was a big influence doesn't mean i like them but they were. The post was about the best not influences. Were was Muddy Waters. Muddy electrified the blues.

C'mon Wheelman, Metallica are a bunch of plodders. They have no sense of or feel for Rock and Roll music, not that I've heard. I hear no sense of The Blues or Country Music in their music, it's very Germanic and pagan; music for the Suevi and Marcomanni around their campfires. Music to cut Roman's heads off by.

My opinion ya understand.

Metallica does have a sense of blues on the load and reload albums. They have melody slamming riffs. That are articulate and tight. They do have their Pagan styles but that is the beauty of some of it. You obviously haven't heard Kirk Hammett play some of the most emotional leads you will ever hear. The Ramones Do? C'mon i like some of the ramones but they are way lamer.