To 10 rock & roll bands of all time. -- Do you agree?

m00n

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really hate these top 10 lists... music is personal, and a single band's ability to touch a person or people, or to simply be great, is difficult to quantify.

Having said that, his exclusion of Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band brands him an idiot, and I am not even going to read his goofy article.

I think it's a pretty decent list(as far as mainstream rock goes). i mean The Ramones and Velvet Underground wouldn't be on most people's list. Bruce was included on the top 10 rnr songs of all time in the middle of the article. I guess he's no that big of an idiot. Although the inclusion of Oukast's Hey Ya might make me rethink that. And U2 at #3 is a little odd. I hate these lists too but still end up reading them and disagreeing with most of it.

aerosmith

van halen

bruce

rush

cmon nearly 100 years of rock between these band and still able to draw crows of such impressive numbers, well van halen would if they toward.

i am surprised Kenny rogers or Neil Diamond didn't make that list. hell for that matter barry Manilow

U2, Velvet Underground and the Ramones, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Sly and the Family Stone as five of the top ten rock n roll bands of all time? I dont think so.

What about the man who started it all by adapting southern black bopping jazz tunes to his white Christian hip swiveling Hollywood style, who still makes about 30 million dollars a year even though he is dead almost three decades! The King, Elvis Presley.

What about Americas folk-rock poet for almost two decades, the great off-key singer and songwriter, Bob Dylan?

How about the other folk rock duo who define the mindset of the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s: Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel? Clearly long-term success must be measured along with cultural influential music. Presley, Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel defined a liberal-conservative culture clash that stopped a war in lower Asia, overthrew a sitting President, began a conservative and then a liberal resurgence. Music powers revolution. It gives a voice to the masses. The songsters of those generations gave words to the changing cultural values.

Oh, I know, how about the guy who already has a Seattle museum because he completely changed the way the guitar creates music, Jimi Hendrix.

And yes, as their continued popularity attests, Aerosmith might earn a place, if NOT honorable mention, on the that list.

7.gif

Wow... Colin, that list touched a nerve. 9.gif. Thats ok,thats about the way I felt after I read the Rolling Stones list of all time guitarist. There were two lists that came out roughly the same time, so I I think it was them... Anyway, they had Jack White from the White Strips at #17 and had Eddy Van Halen at some #73. I still feel someone had better lost thier job. Two people really if not more, the author, the editor and then there had to be some grand poobah that approved the entire magazine.

Anyway, this list? I think it's rediculous myself. 14.gif

I kinda see it the same way as Colin. What was the contribution to the culture and/or the music itself?

The Stones, IMHO, contributed nothing to either of those things, and therefore have no place in that list.

I could easily see a band like Radiohead making that list. Hell, there was an internet poll about 4 years ago (over 4 million voted) that placed Abbey Road SECOND to Radiohead's The Bends as greatest rock band of all time.

I'm with Colin. How can you talk the greatest band and not talk a little band that had four members; Scotty Moore on guitar, Bill Black on bass, DJ Fontana on drums and a fella named Elvis Presley who sang?

And the Jimmy Hendrix Experience, wow. That was one terrific band, I saw them, I know.

Another great band was the Stax house band, Booker T and the MGs. They were also a touring unit and would be accompanied by the Memphis Horns. I urge you to view the videos of this bunch backing Sam and Dave and Otis Redding on the Stax-Volt tour of England. Hot.

I saw Zep live and they stunk-up the place---boring. If you're lousy live you're lousy period. Vanilla Fudge blew them right out of the place.

Pink Floyd, I never heard those guys rock. They're soporific and I can't see why anybody not high at the time would listen to them. When I stopped getting jiggy I lost interest in Pink Floyd.

----------------

On 3/28/2004 12:26:24 PM TBrennan wrote:

I'm with Colin. How can you talk the greatest band and not talk a little band that had four members; Scotty Moore on guitar, Bill Black on bass, DJ Fontana on drums and a fella named Elvis Presley who sang?

And the Jimmy Hendrix Experience, wow. That was one terrific band, I saw them, I know.

Another great band was the Stax house band, Booker T and the MGs. They were also a touring unit and would be accompanied by the Memphis Horns. I urge you to view the videos of this bunch backing Sam and Dave and Otis Redding on the Stax-Volt tour of England. Hot.

I saw Zep live and they stunk-up the place---boring. If you're lousy live you're lousy period. Vanilla Fudge blew them right out of the place.

Pink Floyd, I never heard those guys rock. They're soporific and I can't see why anybody not high at the time would listen to them. When I stopped getting jiggy I lost interest in Pink Floyd.

----------------

Tom,

Your age is showing.2.gif

This is sorta OT, but one of my favorite bands is The Mollys. I can't describe them. Mexican/Celtic/Polka. If you've heard them, you'll understand. The original members stayed together for 15 years, and they are still going. They hail from Tuscon.

Tom,

You are right about Elvis and his early band. I'm not particularly fond of him, but the ones that rock, really rock.

A lot of that early music sounded great when you were high, and awful twenty years + later.

Marvel

You almost can't do a top 10, that's how many great bands there are. I think everyone just about has to have their own "Top 10".

What criteria? I think we need good studio work, great on the road, and longevity.

The Beatles

The Moody Blues

Led Zeppelin

Black Sabbath

Pink Floyd

Yes

Aerosmith

Deep Purple

Van Halen

Journey

Honorable mentions: Elvis, ELO, Stones, U2