Help with rw-12 setup- no subwoofer output on my amp!

evilfrito

Hey I was just wondering how I could set up a rw-12 sub with an amp which has no sub output. My amp does have a speaker 'b' output, however. If I hook the sub up to this output- is there any way that the main speakers (heresy's) would cut off at the right frequencies? I would prefer to set at 60-90 hz to eliminate all low bass from the heresy and just have it play through the sub. Is this possible? I also have pre-out/main-in jacks on my amp, but that would require a lot of cables and adapters i would think... Let me know if you think of anything.. Thanks!

evilfrito, run your 'A' main speaker wire from your amp to the sub speaker

input. then from the sub speaker output to your mains. there is a cross-over

frequency on the back of the sub where you can adjsut the range. You should

be able to adjust the frequency between 40-120hz. If you were using the LFE

input on your sub then the sub's cross-over is bypassed. good luck

I called tech-support and it seems that the rw-12 has no high-level or line-level outputs whatsoever.. so I guess this sort of answers my own question. I would have to connect the sub to my speaker "b" output from my amp. I just hope that the bass won't be boomy because I'm not 100% sure where my heresy speakers drop off (as they would be playing full range).. It says that they go down to 50 hz, but I would think that the response down that low is very weak- so maybe I should set the subwoofer higher- more like 60 hz? Let me know if you have any ideas!I really want to pick up this sub- just hope it would sound right in my system..

I dont quite understand what you meant- it seems like you said to run an additional set of speaker wire from the same output (A) that is used for the main speakers. How is this possible? I thought you could only connect one set of speakers (or sub) with a single speaker output. Or not? 16.gif

you can run the high level speaker leads from your receiver into the sub high level speaker inputs...then from the subs high level speaker output to your mains....

With this ...the sub takes the signal and uses the crossover setting to send the lows to the subs amp after converting to a low level setting it needs then it amplifies it and plays the low frequencies...

The sub then passes the high frequencies above the cross over point to the mains as amplified by the receiver....

HTH

If your receiver does not have bass management to remove the low bass from the speaker outputs, then you have no way to filter the input to the Heresy's and remove the low bass. As you know, the RW-12 has no speaker outputs on it, so you can't use its crossover to help out here. If this is the case, I'd say it's time to look at a different subwoofer. :)

----------------

On 3/30/2004 6:24:33 PM evilfrito wrote:

but the rw-12 subwoofer has no line-level or speaker outputs.....

----------------

The problem with using 'B' speaker output is if you want to listen to a

5.1 DD or DTS this signal is not output through the 'B' speaker only through

the 'A'. What I suggested was to run a second set of speaker wires from your

'A' output to your sub.

----------------

On 3/30/2004 6:24:33 PM evilfrito wrote:

but the rw-12 subwoofer has no line-level or speaker outputs.....

----------------

It has speaker inputs....

check the spec page here:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=654

And per the manual.....You run a second set of wires from the same binding posts on your receiver as the mains and run them to this hi level speaker input......

SO your receiver will have 2 wires hooked to each red and black of the left and right main speakers...one goes to the left and right main...and the other goes to the sub....

Check the online manual...it is clearly written and has a nice pic...too...

Thanks for the input everybody- but i guess there is no way that I could possibly filter the sound in my main speakers. If the main speakers only can connect to the amp itself- it would still be running at full range. If there are no outputs from the subwoofer how can the filtered signal (above x hz) be transmitted to my main speakers? This just seems kind of silly that they would leave something out like this- it makes it pretty much impossible to integrate this sub effectively with a traditional stereo system (not home theater). Are there any klipsch subs out there that have a speaker level output?? Is it important to get a similar namebrand sub w/ main speakers for tonal balance?

Look around for a Klipsch SW12 series II sub. They have both high and low level inputs and outputs and work great for 2 channel stereo. They have a 12" active and a 12" passive radiator (rear). Should be able to find one for around $250-$300.

Keith

The SW II series subs were sold from around 1995 to about 1999. You can check the specs at this site. These subs were designed and built before the widespread use of super low bass that you'll find in many of todays DVD's. While they will play low I'm not sure how they would compare to the present subs Klipsch offers. They are great for use with a 2-channel setup, and their cost will be much lower than what you will spend for a new sub. I don't think you would need more for music.

Keith

----------------

It has speaker inputs....

check the spec page here:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=654

And per the manual.....You run a second set of wires from the same binding posts on your receiver as the mains and run them to this hi level speaker input......

SO your receiver will have 2 wires hooked to each red and black of the left and right main speakers...one goes to the left and right main...and the other goes to the sub....

Check the online manual...it is clearly written and has a nice pic...too...

----------------

Has no one else seen this post? According to the manual it has speaker inputs and out.

Looks like I have a little bit of shoppin' around to do- I know I will need a sub w/ speaker inputs/outputs for sure. Have any of you guys heard about the infinity alpha 1200s? You can get that one for a little cheaper than the rw-12 (550 or so), and it has 500 watts rms power- but the response only goes down to 28 hz. Do you even notice anything lower than that anyways? I'm goinf to listen to this one at the audio shop- let me know if you have any other recommendations - i wish there was a way I could audition the sw12 II or the velodyne before buying.. you never really know what you are gonna get until you actually get a chance to listen.