?Polarity of heresy speakers?

evilfrito

Hey everybody! I was just wondering if I am connecting my speaker wire to my heresy speakers correctly. There are NO indications on the speaker box of which input is + or -, and I am not 100% sure which setup is correct. I am currently hooking up the + wire to the right input on the heresy, when facing the BACK of the speaker. I wasn't sure if all speakers were the same regarding this issue or not. Thanx5.gif

The important thing is to make sure that they are both connect the *SAME* way, that is, positive to right and negative to left on both speakers. Or vice versa.

Whether that is the "correct" polarity or not is not an answerable question. You amp or preamp may invert the signal. The recording engineer might have inverted the signal at some point during editing, assuming we started with everything in the same polarity to begin with (all the mics and consoles). If it was a multimiked recording, there's a good chance that the various tracks are every which way. If it was recorded directly out of some electronic instrument (signal directly into mixing board) the definition of "correct polarity" is somewhat arbitrary.

You can always try switching back and forth (on BOTH speakers or amp connections) and see if different albums sound better one way around than the other.

I have even had amps which were not correctly phased! The best bass thing doesn't work all the time depending on the distance between speakers either. Here is what I do every time I move a wire*:

Play a CD or LP with a central instrument and sit at the sweat spot. Do you hear the central image up in the air? Do you hear that there are two speakers? If the image is in the air your speakers are phased properly if you hear two speakers, switch the wires and listen again.

Even if you just have a sense that "something isn't right" but can't pinpoint it, it doesn't hurt to swap the wires on one channel. You never know.

Rick

I know me, I mess up the phasing as many times as I'm right. "let's see white is hot, white is not?" "I think I can see the printing on this one, Darn where are my glasses, yea that's the printing." " It doesn't sound right....What did I f#$% up now?"

I'll offer this polarity test which can deternine if the speaker is or is not

incorrectly wired from the factory (I told it happens). I'm told car audio

installers use it when questioning aftermarket speakers. Be advised, I don't know

if it is totaly safe to do (maybe someone can confirm).

Connect a tired 9 volt transistor battery for an instant to the positive and

nagitive terminals of the speaker. If the speaker is correctly wired (labled), the

speaker cone will move away from the speaker frame.

RB

----------------

On 3/30/2004 7:41:02 PM sprocket wrote:

I'll offer this polarity test which can deternine if the speaker is or is not

incorrectly wired from the factory (I told it happens). I'm told car audio

installers use it when questioning aftermarket speakers. Be advised, I don't know

if it is totaly safe to do (maybe someone can confirm).

Connect a tired 9 volt transistor battery for an instant to the positive and

nagitive terminals of the speaker. If the speaker is correctly wired (labled), the

speaker cone will move away from the speaker frame.

RB
----------------

Best to stick with a 1.5V battery like AA or AAA.