Finally did it, bought new stuff!

SteelerFan

Here is the in list:

NAD S170i pre/pro

NAD S250 5x125 amp

Cary Audio A-2 Cinema amp

Out list:

Yamaha DSP-A1000

It's all brand new, it all arrived Monday and I got it hooked up last night using Cobalt cables. That's as far as I got, haven't had time to listen yet. Read part of the manual and wow! Way more complicated than my Yamaha, I'll be pulling my hair out for awhile.

I know others will disagree but I decided to go with 125 watt per channel amps, seeing the furthest speaker away from my sofa is only 10', I just couldn't see the need for 200 watts. My 80 watt per channel Yamaha always seemed to have plenty of power. This way I could afford to buy better quality amplifiers.

The S series is NAD's better line and I just couldn't pass up the Cary amp even though I'm only running 5.1 for now. I suppose I could hook up the two EPI70's I was using for the front effect channels of my old Yamaha. Or I could dig out the Klipsch KG2.2v center I used to use with my Forte's and run 6.1. Can't make up my mind, maybe the Cary will end up in the other room with my Forte's some day. But for now I'm going to use it for the mains and use just 3 channels of the NAD for the center and surrounds.

I know this all can't go perfectly smooth, there will be problems and I'll be back asking for advice. But I'm really stoked now. 9.gif

----------------

On 3/31/2004 6:54:57 PM SteelerFan wrote:

Here is the in list:

NAD S170i pre/pro

NAD S250 5x125 amp

Cary Audio A-2 Cinema amp

Out list:

Yamaha DSP-A1000

----------------

Very nice! Got any of that hooked up yet? Will be curious to see your first impressions. I bet it will be a definite improvement over the Yamahaa.

Gotta post some pics you know 1.gif

I keep hearing folks knock Yamaha. I have a Yamaha that I got for cheap and since I haven't heard any other solid state amps on Khorns, it sounds good to me. I just today found out how to add a 4millisecond delay to the Belle center to virtually move it back 4 feet so it is(to my ears) the same distance from where I sit to the Khorns. I also found where to turn the volume down a bit on the Belle (5db actually). I no longer have a center channel and two occasional front surrounds. I now have a 20 foot wide front stage/speaker. Much better. I almost sounds as good as the Khorns driven by a Scott in two channels. What the world needs now is a good Scott 7.1 tube driven home theater amp.

Damn I just went to the NAD website to check those out, where the hell were these a couple of months ago when I bought my NAD T163, I did not see them as an option nor did my dealer mention them. Must be new! I wonder if they will take my T163 back towards the S170i unit. They are very similar but the specs look better on the S170i. That is the drawback these days you buy something and take it home and it is already obselete.

Thanks everyone.

Frzninvt, the S170i and S250 have actually been around longer than the T163 and 973 amp. There was an S170 without DPLII and the newer "i" model is the one with it. Actually NAD I think is discontinuing the line. Too expensive possibly, the S170i retailed for $3499 and the S250 for $2500. I got them for half price.

Anyway, got to play with them some last night and I'm really struggling like I thought I would. I can't even power up the pre-amp with the remote yet. I just can't believe how complicated this thing is compared to my Yamaha.

Ofcourse both amps are making my speakers hum. Someone at work is going to loan me one of those ground-lift adapters to see if that eliminates it. I hope so, my Yamaha only has the two prong plug and it never hummed.

One question, the volume scale goes from -90 to +16. I played it at -20 and it wasn't very loud. The Yamaha scale was -80 to 0, -40 was as high as I ever played it that was very loud. I realize the Yamaha was analog where the NAD is digital, but am I missing something?

I'm sure to have alot more questions for you guys as I dig deeper. The manual is extremely vague, I"ll keep experimenting.