Sony ES, Pioneer Elite, or Denon

kaaihue1

I'm wanting to upgrade my reciever, but I'm stuck. I'm looking at the Sony strda5000es, Pioneer Elite VSX-55TX, or the Denon Avr3805. I mostly use it for HT, and occasionally listen to music. I've listened to all except the Denon and they were not using Klipsch speakers (no dealers in my area). I'd like some opinions if you will.

Thanks

i have the pioneer 55txi in my system used as a pre/pro with separate amplifiers....

it has a very low noise floor with superb processing.... the MCACC feature which automatically sets the level, delay, and equalization of all your speakers workks extremely well...... i am looking forward to using the i-link feature to be able to run SACD and DVD-audio digitally into the receiver......

i run a pair of speakers in my bedroom off of the rear speaker outputs.... the internal amps are very clean... if i already didn't have my external amplifiers, i may not have added them after hearing this receiver.... (i did run all my speakers of the receiver as a test when i first got it)

i was originally in the market for a separate pre/pro, but to get all of the features of the 55txi you would need to spend at least $4,000....

i would highly recommend this unit to anyone....

1.gif

I didn't audition those exact models a year ago, but I did have Denon, Pioneer Elite, and Sony ES on my shortlist for receivers. I thought the Elite sounded the best, although the speakers I listened to them on were not Klipsch. And I'm not sure what Klipsch speakers you're going to be using them with, but whatever the case, Pioneer Elite is my vote.

The Pioneer VSX-55TXi is a best buy IMO. The combination of i.link and MCACC give it the edge. Pioneer also sounds good on Klipsch speakers.

I have i.link on my receiver and universal player. The i.link is the best way to listen to multi-channel music IMO.

Bill

I have the PIO ELITE 49tx (was the flagship), and have had it since JAN 2002.

Thus far, I absolutely love this unit.

MinnMALE is correct, to get the same features in seperates it would be very costly, and the MACC auto calibration is quite nice, and has been argued to be quite accurate as well.

in compairison to the SONY ES line and the FLAGSHIP DENON--I question if there is a compairison to be made. I opted for the 49tx over the 5803 Denon, the PIO elite is a nicer piece. much more of a mid-fi level than the others. Many on the various forums have claimed that the PIO ELITE 49tx, and ensueing models have as good of a sound as ROTEL/NAD seperates...

www.docDVD.com there is a gent on there named JOSH LEHMANN. He will get you a great buy on the PIO ELITE stuff, that has the warrenty fully intact. he's a broker, and a well respected one. I got my receiver for $1300.00 less from him than had I bought it at a local shop AND I got the full warranty.

Go with the ELITE over the other brands you mentioned--its a step up.

----------------

On 4/1/2004 7:42:15 PM wheelman wrote:

I love pioneer products. But couldn't you just buy a ratshack spl meter for 30 dollars and have it be as accurate as you want? I always wanted a pioneer tv. As a matter of fact i hope my next one is a pioneer.
----------------

you could buy a meter and do it manually.... but if you are in the market for a new receiver...why not get the best thing in your price range???

1.gif

Soo you're saying the 100wpcx7 is enough to push your klipsch speakers, without an amp?? I was worried about that also, and how about the remote is it adequate. Thanks alot for all the inputs, Believe me I've been dragging my feet on upgrading so I don't buy the wrong one.

On 4/1/2004 9:56:14 PM kaaihue1 wrote:

Soo you're saying the 100wpcx7 is enough to push your klipsch speakers, without an amp?? I was worried about that also, and how about the remote is it adequate. Thanks alot for all the inputs, Believe me I've been dragging my feet on upgrading so I don't buy the wrong one.

1. if my room was not so large (and i didn't already have the amps), i believe that 100 watts per channel would push my klipsch speakers...

2. the remote for the pioneer 55txi is excellent!... much better than several of the aftermarket remotes that i have tried over the years.... it has many, many preprogrammed settings for different brands.... and if your component is not in it's memory, it will learn the codes from your other remote....

do a search over on avs forum on this receiver...more than a few threads on this receiver!

I auditioned the Pioneer Elite series while listening to Paradigm and Klipsch speakers. I ended up buying the Pioneer Elite VSX33TX and to say the least am very pleased. My listening is similar to yours HT first ,then music listening. I may add an separate amp down the road ,but not at this time. My money is going into the DLP system when they perfect it a little better. The things that that A/V can do is really wild.