5.1 to 7.1

Hard 21

like prodj, two more rs-7's would be the obvious choice, but imho, only if you listen mostly to tv and movies, or 2channel music. if you are into or getting into multi-channel music, then two more rf7's would be the optimum. and again, like prodj, there is a lot of difference of opinon on that, too. In fact, I think the market is going more towards monopole rears, ideally, identical to the front speakers. basically, it's whatever floats yer particular boat - diffuseness of rs's, or the localization and slam of another pair of rf's. confused yet? 2.gif

Well said Bruinsrme! Giving the Oregon m00n a chance to rise first is the essence of why this Forum is a cut above so many others... it's the people who populate it... and the no BS approach of the late PWK. That being said, I would bet the m00n that he would do the same for you.

All WDST speakers send sounds under 2,000 Hz toward the listener and bounce 2,000 Hz to 20,000 Hz off the adjacent walls and other "hard-bodies" that are not in the sweet spot. And, frankly, some of the shorter frequencies don't bounce very well... they just get lost in those "hard-body" cracks and never reach your ears!

Bipole, tripole and, most of all, dipole speakers are designed to confuse the ear as to the precise directional source of a sound with tripole's allowing the lows a bit more source honesty. Some folks wallow in being awash with sound... like pitching a tent in an afterburner... it's a trip!

But, if you already have a pair of WDST's spraying every object around your sweet spot, what is the positional advantage of mounting another pair on your rear wall to essentially spray more of the same area with sounds that are generally produced from the left and right sound channels to begin with? Okay, granted, you will gain a positional advantage for sounds under 2,000 Hz... essentially the monopole constituent of WDST.

So, if that is where the advantage lies... why not buy full range monopoles for your full-range rear-wall enjoyment in the first place?

Now, don't get me wrong... I understand there is a huge market out there of people who would rather soak their "rear" in a cacophony of sound spray... no matter what the audio engineer on the DVD, SACD, etc. may have intended... but some of us sound slitherers would rather stick our audio-tongue in each of the cool flavors of rainbow sherbet... instead of lapping up the mess after a sonic meltdown.

Orchids to you my m00n friend... for looking at the realities of your acoustic potential rather than accept a sales tract as your audio destiny. And an extra measure to you, Bruinsrme, for seeing beyond the hype of fixing room acoustics like fixing a cat... by cutting off the main flow of the rear action.

Here's hoping that someone with a severely cramped or otherwise acoustically challenged room will gain from buying your surplus side sprayers... until they too can have a room equal to the Klipsch monopole task of excellence. -HornEd

PS: This message is intended to negate sales tracts that purport the state of the art of audio engineering is to alter every sound over 2000 Hz coming from the rear array. It is recommended that HornEd posts not be read by die-hard fans of the Bloody Tide of Garbled Rear Emanations. Life may be a gas but passing it as engineering excellence is truly odious!

----------------

On 4/4/2004 10:40:13 AM HornEd wrote:

Orchids to you my m00n friend... for looking at the realities of your acoustic potential rather than accept a sales tract as your audio destiny. ----------------

Why thank you Horn. 1.gif

Didn't read every single reply, so someone many have mentioned this... if you felt that you needed something aditional to what you mention, how about an RC7 in the rear.

And again, I have some great RS7s for sale. You know you want to buy them. I will even autograph them for you... 9.gif

I would say their all surplus. Not just the wide sprayers. I would say the monopoles been surplused far longer than the sprayers. Monopoles been around since the beginning their for way more surplused. If your room allows it definitely go with the monopole. all depends on how you like your sweet spot. Me i have to have the best seat in the house. So i could go with any surround actually. I get a sprayed sound with monopoles to, because the way i have to place them they get bounced all over the place ( high and near the back wall corner which is way off to the left and right of me). So it really is just marginally clearer. If i had a larger room i would be in monopole heaven.12.gif exuce my riting i gradeated from the six grade

Well... In a receiver you can have :

=========

Left, Center, Right

Left Surround, Right Surround

.1 = sub

========

Left, Center, Right

Left Rear, Right Rear

.1 = sub

Some receivers have 7 powered channels some don't. My Harman Kardon AVR 520 only had 5 powered channels, my Harman Kardon 7200 has 7 powered channels. The extra two powered channels being the REAR surrounds.

SO, be carefull that you get your terminology correct. If you hook what should be side surrounds to the rear channels on a receiver, you won't hear side surround affects, you will hear rear affects.

I guess I'm being kinda anal about this because a lot of people do call side surrounds, rears, but now that 7.1 is becoming more and more comon, I personally feel that it's good to make the technical distinction between the two.

Oh.. And yes, the RS7s were designed to be used as surround speakers. Some people even use them as rears. Or some people will mount their surround speakers behind them on a wall behind them.

What I was trying to point out was that a just because some put thier surrounds behind them on a back wall does not make them (at least in my opinion) REARS, they are still side surrounds, just placed behind you.

Does all this make since?

1.gif

----------------

On 4/6/2004 10:40:21 AM m00n wrote:

Well... In a receiver you can have :

=========

Left, Center, Right

.1 = sub

========

Left, Center, Right

Left Rear, Right Rear

.1 = sub

Some receivers have 7 powered channels some don't. My Harman Kardon AVR 520 only had 5 powered channels, my Harman Kardon 7200 has 7 powered channels. The extra two powered channels being the REAR surrounds.

SO, be carefull that you get your terminology correct. If you hook what should be side surrounds to the rear channels on a receiver, you won't hear side surround affects, you will hear rear affects.

I guess I'm being kinda anal about this because a lot of people do call side surrounds, rears, but now that 7.1 is becoming more and more comon, I personally feel that it's good to make the technical distinction between the two.

Oh.. And yes, the RS7s were designed to be used as surround speakers. Some people even use them as rears. Or some people will mount their surround speakers behind them on a wall behind them.

What I was trying to point out was that a just because some put thier surrounds behind them on a back wall does not make them (at least in my opinion) REARS, they are still side surrounds, just placed behind you.

Does all this make since?

1.gif

Thank you. This is the kind of information I'm looking for. Yes, it makes since, except I assumed your rears were supposed to be surround. What kind of sound is one looking for in rear speakers? And what would be a common/good (RF7) choice, besides two more RS7s for two rears?

Thank you all for your input thusfar.

----------------

----------------

On 4/7/2004 7:38:19 AM Hard 21 wrote:

What kind of sound is one looking for in rear speakers? And what would be a common/good (RF7) choice, besides two more RS7s for two rears?

Thank you all for your input thusfar.

----------------

One, it really depends on your room. If you want to go a more traditional approach, you would put your RS7s on the side walls, and then perhaps get a RC7 as your rear speaker. Me? I'm going RC7s for all surrounds.

Not sure what your knowledge leve is, so I may help you to go and check out Dolby Digitals web site. If you look in the blue area with all the links, you will see links at the top to a bunch of GREAT information. You may want to check this out. Some very good reading. My suggestion is to click on Technical Information and the Dolby Digital links. 1.gif