center channel

BruinsFan

Still trying to put together a good set up speakers. Considering the the RC7 - but not sure where to put it. Best place would be on top of my Toshiba 50" rear projection. But at 45lbs - that might be a too much. Any one know?

I listened to the RC35 - but only briefly - consider it an option but not sure how much i'd loose.

Buy a cool tv stand with a nice big shelf for the center underneath the tv. Or one with enough to hold your center and all gear. Even better yet. It will then have a nice even look to it. So you can position your speaker equal distance's apart from your tv.

can't put this TV on a stand - at least I don't see how. So putting it underneath isn't an option.

Not sure on the speakers other then they will be Klipsch. The rears will be RCW3 or 5 - 3 of them for a 6.1 set.

The mains - that's where it gets tough. Bouncing between RF7, RF5 and RB75. Haven't ruled anything out completely. I know the RF7 are the best - but considering WAF and general size of the speakers - going a little smaller might help the overall project.

Leaning towards the RSW12 for sub. But again that's a big speaker. My thinkiing is that if i go a little smaller on the mains - I can compensate with a larger sub - and then everyone is happy.

The room itself is an acoustic nightmare - so I'm trying to find the best set up for it. It's 19x19x9. With several archways and a wall of windows. Volume is not as important as quality. I'm not even sure if front or rear firing woofers on the mains (RF7 vs RB75) would work best.

I agree with Darren. The RC7 will dominate if not matched up with other like speakers. I would not recomend a RC7 / RB75's combination. The two speaker types have totally different timbers matches (at least to me). I just did a side by side between the RC7 and RB75's on Friday. Go read my thread on Sonic Diff between RC7 and RB75.

If you want a good main, and it's NOT going to be in side of a small cubby in an entertianment center, if your worried about size, the RC7 is an outstanding speaker. You could run left center and right all RC7s and have one impressive front array. A perfect timber match. Stand the left and right RC7s on end the center on it's side.

Somthing to thinkg about anyway.

thanks boomer9911 - nice equipment all around.

m00n: I did read your other thread or at least part of it - I'll go reread. I was under the impression that the RF7, RB75 and RF5 were timber matched with the RC7.

I'm still confused as to how much each speaker contributes during a movie. Let's say i have a 6.1 system. With RCW5 for the three rears, an RSW12, and an RC7. Not thinking about music for a moment just movies - would I notice a diffence if using RF7 for mains as oppose to RB75 or RF5? If so can you describe what might be noticed.

I think I've read some post were folks are using floorstanding speakers for rears - why would you do that?

----------------

On 4/4/2004 8:25:40 PM bbechard wrote:

thanks boomer9911 - nice equipment all around.

m00n: I did read your other thread or at least part of it - I'll go reread. I was under the impression that the RF7, RB75 and RF5 were timber matched with the RC7.

I'm still confused as to how much each speaker contributes during a movie. Let's say i have a 6.1 system. With RCW5 for the three rears, an RSW12, and an RC7. Not thinking about music for a moment just movies - would I notice a diffence if using RF7 for mains as oppose to RB75 or RF5? If so can you describe what might be noticed.

I think I've read some post were folks are using floorstanding speakers for rears - why would you do that?

----------------

I assume the rf7s, rf5 and rb75s are supposed to be, again that's ASSUME. All I know is that in my opinion, the RC7 sounds much better than the RB75s.

Not sure about how much of a difference you will hear between RF7 adn RF5, but you will notice a big difference between RF7 and RB75. Personally, and I'm willing to bet others would tell you the same thing, you would be better off running RC7s as mains than RB75's. If you go back into my Sonic Diff between RC7 and RB75, towards the end, people started piping up about how good the RC7 really is. I would easily take two RC7s over RB75's after hearing what I heard the other day in the store... Again, that's just me. You may think completely different.

People use floor standers because most likely it's going to be a good match for their environment.

m00n: I reread your other thread - you started looking for new rears/surrounds - and went with the RC7s. You found them so good - you believe they are good enough for mains. Just turn them on an end. Ok - I can buy into that - one question - would you just place them on the floor? They seem a bit big for a speaker stand and yet too small to just place on the floor.

I'm not sure i like the speaker stand idea - so I'm dismissing the RB75s either way. RF5 might be a good thought. Have to check on the WAF. Hate to have to go smaller - RF35s?!? might give up a whole lot there.

Yeah if the RF7s are too big for your wife, and you have issues with putting an RC7 on a stand, the next best thing for you is the R75. I've never heard it but I'm willing to bet it's a much better speaker than the RF35's....

BUT... If you are really considering the RF5, the RF7 really isn't that much bigger is it? Just let your wife put a doiley's on them.2.gif Talk your wife into them. You won't be dissapointed

I am thinking about getting the new reference satellites. For some reason smaller speakers just sound awesome in my room with a great sense of space and detail. They look great the only drawback is the spl's, but with klipsch i doubt i will be missing alot. It is nice to have that fire power when you want it. Even if it isn't all the time.

well let's just say we're in discussions on the size..... Don't get me wrong - she loves the sound of the RF7s - just wants them to be as big as a RS15.

what stands would you put the RC7s on? There wouldn't be a way to bolt it to the stand - would there? Guess I'd consider it - since the stands wouldn't have to be that high. one foot would put it as tall as a RF25.

I BOUGHT A 51" HITACHI JUST TO HOLD MY CENTER CHANNEL(GREAT TV BY THE WAY).THE RB75 WILL WORK BUT RF5 OR RF7 ARE DEEPER SOUNDING BUT THE SUB IS IMPORTANT WITH AN RB 75 SETUP.SOMEONE ASKED WHY USE FLOOR STANDING FOR YOU REARS HAVE NOT HEARD A SETUP YET (YOU ARE TRULY MISSING OUT)I HAVE RF7'S FRONTS,REARS,AND REAR CENTER AND A 6.1 MOVIE IS INCREDIBLE.I WOULD MAKE THE RC7 WORK AND CONVINCE YOUR WIFE TO USE FLOOR STANDING SPEAKERS

YAMAHA RXV3300

RF7-FRONTS,REARS,REAR CENTER

RC7-CENTER

MONSTER POWER 5100

MONSTER CABLE Z2 ON ALL SPEAKERS-YES ALL 3 REARS

HITACHI 51'

no kids yet but they are in the planning stage. Plus the cats - we have one that is hefty and gets on everything - if it can be knocked over - he'll do it.

That's a big yes on the sub. was thinking of the RSW12.

RF7Rules: no i've never heard that setup. I can see how it would add - but I just didn't think it would be that dramatic since the rears/surrounds are more for fill and supplimental sound as oppose to fronts. not sure that makes sense.

Earlier in the week when I was testing my RC7s as 2 channel stereo speakers, I turned on my RSW-12. Man that sounded good. They blended so well... Don't get me wrong, those RC7s were able to do quit well in the bottom end (not to the level of an RF7s) but with the help of sub... Yeah, that was a mighty fine sound. Sent those RC7s over the top.

But hey ultimatly you need to listen to them yourself. That is if you can find a dealer who will take the time to hook two of them up. You may not like them, you may prefer the RF5's or even the RB75's. I just know that I just about sold my existing 2 RC7s and went with all rb75's for my surrounds and rears. But I decided to really listen to the RC7s and do a side by side with RB75s and chose the what I felt was the better speaker. 1.gif

Make sure they let you demo them the way you want to demo them, if you want to hear 2 RC7s in stereo to put them up against two other speakers, them ask them to do so. If you don't ask they won't do it. if you do get the chance to audition them, make sure they set them up side by side, that can be very important because if not, it could alter sound signatures of the speakers.

blah blah blah.. I'm sure you know what to do. 10.gif

----------------

On 4/5/2004 12:28:13 AM bbechard wrote:

hey wheelman - what do you run? can you describe the room - why do small speakers work for you? have you tried larger/floorstanding?

----------------

I run synergy floorstanders sf-2 with sc-1 and ss-1's. This sounds awesome. I have a rectangular room which i have my gear on the long wall which places me really close to the tv and gear but the speakers have alot of room to breath from side to side. I noticed when i run bookshelfs or smaller speakers being that close just gives me an awesome sense of space like when your watching a movie it seems more involving. The only drawback is rockin it out on dvd concerts. Which i do most of the time more than movies. So It would be a tough call. The last time i had little speakers i was blown away by the movie sound, but the stereo just didn't cut it for party levels. casual and up to loud not insane like i like it is really good. The quality really comes from the imaging and space from the back of the speaker. It is further from the back wall so it has less mudd in the midrange and it is so three dimensional. Like i said It is a trade off with party volume and kickin movies. But i never heard the little reference satellites which look great. I get a great result with my speakers and would be scared to risk it, but it's tempting. (p) (a) ® (t) why, because i have too