Harman Kardon DPR 1001

Euell

I have no experience with that receiver, but I do know that it has digital amps. Panasonic also makes receivers with digital amps. I suspect that more receivers will go fully digital in the future. As for now, the jury is still out on digital amps in receivers.

Bill

I tried that receiver for my Master Bedroom theater and was not overly impressed, so at the suggestion of a friend, I returned it and bought the Panasonic RX 25 for about half the price. The panny's amps are much cleaner IMHO and it is also a bit smaller.

My MBR theater now consists of 46" HDTV, Panasonic RX 25, Klipsch RF15 mains, RCX4 center, RsX5 surrounds and an Energy XL10" sub. This hobby becomes like a sickness and spreads!

Jerry Rappaport

----------------

On 4/5/2004 5:32:45 AM JewishAMerPrince wrote:

I tried that receiver for my Master Bedroom theater and was not overly impressed, so at the suggestion of a friend, I returned it and bought the Panasonic RX 25 for about half the price. The panny's amps are much cleaner IMHO and it is also a bit smaller.

My MBR theater now consists of 46" HDTV, Panasonic RX 25, Klipsch RF15 mains, RCX4 center, RsX5 surrounds and an Energy XL10" sub. This hobby becomes like a sickness and spreads!

Jerry Rappaport

----------------

Jerry -

Vanns is selling the unit for $499 with free shipping http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/538999195?v_c=Shopping

Amazon also sells it for that price (through J&R Music and Computer World) -

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008EDC9/103-3194405-0936659?v=glance

It's also free shipping outside of NY

You can get a Panny for 1/2 this price?

----------------

On 4/6/2004 2:14:54 PM Euell wrote:

----------------

Euell, I believe the receiver Jerry was referring to is Panasonic SAXR25 which I belive had the MSRP of about $250, and currently can be bought at ebay for around $180.

----------------

On 4/6/2004 3:03:28 PM TauRus wrote:

----------------

----------------

Euell, I believe the receiver Jerry was referring to is Panasonic SAXR25 which I belive had the MSRP of about $250, and currently can be bought at ebay for around $180.

----------------

Amazing - that price seems to good to be true - Do you know if they make a 7.1 model with digital amps?

----------------

Vanns is selling the unit for $499 with free shipping

Amazon also sells it for that price (through J&R Music and Computer World) -

It's also free shipping outside of NY

----------------

Got my Panny for $239 plus shipping of $13 at J&R in January. I would say that $251 is about half of $499, wouldn't you?

Yes, there is a 7.1 version called the XR 45, and I understand there are two new models coming in the XR 50 replacement for the XR25 and the XR75 replacement for the XR50. I have no idea what is new on these two units.

Jerry Rappaport

I have had the chance to play with both of them, almost on a daily basis and personally i think the Hk leaps and bounds better sounding, as well as more powerful, than the panasonic. I am sure that this stems from the fact that it is supposed to cost 3 times as much and comes from a company with the knowledge base and budget that most others would be jealous of. However, both look very good, are almost the same size, and put off nearly no heat (though the panasonic has a tiny fan on the back just in case).

Like i stated before i have had the chance to demo them side by side (go to almost any circuit city with you own demo material and see if you can talk the salesman into hooking them up, i had no problem) on the newer polk rti, infinity alphas, and some of the smaller systems from both companies. The Hk was the clear winner in not only sound quality but overall output and its flexibility doesn't take away points either. Though i did not buy both to try them on my Rf-3s, given from what i heard from the larger and less efficient Polk Rti10 and Rti12 i think that the Hk had much more headroom, control, and ability. It just depends on whether or not your budget will allow.

Good luck on the amp search.

-Eric

----------------

On 4/7/2004 11:48:28 AM ekbriggs wrote:

I have had the chance to play with both of them, almost on a daily basis and personally i think the Hk leaps and bounds better sounding, as well as more powerful, than the panasonic. -Eric

----------------

Eric

I had nearly the opposite experience. I think the HK sounded more forward/aggressive. Some may interpret this as more powerful or better sounding. That forwardness/aggressiveness seemed to originate with a bit more emphasis on the midrange than in other HK receivers OR the Pannys. That may be fine for the typical speaker, but with Klipsch Reference ( which are forward and agressive speakers), the sound was not as pleasant as the openess of the Pannys. Just my $.02.

JR

----------------

On 4/7/2004 11:48:28 AM ekbriggs wrote:

Like i stated before i have had the chance to demo them side by side (go to almost any circuit city with you own demo material and see if you can talk the salesman into hooking them up, i had no problem) on the newer polk rti, infinity alphas, and some of the smaller systems from both companies. The Hk was the clear winner in not only sound quality but overall output and its flexibility doesn't take away points either. Though i did not buy both to try them on my Rf-3s, given from what i heard from the larger and less efficient Polk Rti10 and Rti12 i think that the Hk had much more headroom, control, and ability. It just depends on whether or not your budget will allow.

Good luck on the amp search.

-Eric

----------------

Thanks Eric - Looks like a trip to CC is in order. Wish I could take my speakers with me!

----------------

On 4/7/2004 9:57:57 PM TauRus wrote:

Euell, a much better option is to try it out at your home with your speakers. Listening in the store is quite a different experience compared to in-home auditioning.

----------------

Is that possible - from Circuit City? Do they have a try before you buy policy?

The DPR 1001 looks like it could be a good pre/pro in accordance with its spec sheet. I A/B it with a H/K AVR-630 with Lord of the Rings and the 630 was the clear winner in channel seperation and clarity. But is that due to the dpr 1001s inferior processor or amplifier section? Is it safe to say that a dpr 1001 matched with a good amp ie H/K PA XXXX or Parasound HCA-1205A would surpass a 630?

Whats to blame, the processor or digital amps of the dpr 1001? The 630 has a heavily built power supply for what it is. My HYPOTHESIS, yes my educated guess, leads me to believe a 1001 w/a good amp would be a healthier purchase over an avr-630. What do you'all think?

Absolutely the Dpr 1001/amp combo would be superior to the Avr-630 in my own opinion. However that is only with some of the amps that you had listed, Parasound (Hca-1205, Hca-1206, and perhaps some of the older Hk citation or signature amps that are currently selling on and off of audiogon for real steals right now). However, unless you are dealing with the super recievers (B&K Avr-307, Denon Avr-5803, RxZ-9 if you like the Yammie sound, Pioneer thx ultas, etc... then any reciever (used as a preamp) and seperate amp will usualy outmuscle any reciever. If you are looking at separates though i encourage you to look at a total seperates system like the rotels that so many have had great success with. Its more expensive but you can find good deals in the used markets and many pre-amps alone had the same or higher budgets that alot of the nicer recievers had overall. Thus they are a much better fit unless you want to start with a reciever then move it to pre-amp only duty. With that being said i personally own a Avr-525 (the precursor to the 630) and have moved it to pre amp only position with bridged Pa-4000 and Pa-2000 amps with 4 Rf-3's and an Rc-3 and absolutely love my system for both music and movies. The only way that i would move up would be to get one of the Avr-7300's on the way and even then i dont think i would notice a great increase in power, just better video processing (with the coveted upconversion to component) and a much cooler look. I also have the chance to play with the Avr-630 every day and i think for the money it is a great reciever that matched with the right speakers would make for a great home theater/music experience. And you were right it trounced the 1001 in every category that i auditioned them in save for the amount of heat it produced (accursed digital amps). Sorry for the rambling but i hoped this helped a little in helping you make a decision.

-Eric

Eric,

Your reply was a good confirmation of what I've been thinking. The 1001 sells on ebay between high 300.00 and mid 400.00. So that with a good amp should work awesome. It almost looks like a suped-up pre/pro; Its thin, super light because of its digital amps, and runs extremely cool. I can't spend the money for Rotel gear unless a wait a while....years. Would a rotel pre/pro and amp be that much better than a H/K as a pre/pro with an amp? I know, I'm looking to pay less for quality sound...but isn't that just part of this hobby of ours?

hmm, well i am a believer that "much better in terms of components" gets to a point of diminishing returns very very quickly. So to answer our question no, i dont think it would be that much beter, especially when you factor in the fact that (answer to question no. 2) we all do seek to have the best sound quality that we can within our own budgets.

-Eric