Aura Bass Shakers -- which ones to get ???

john4618

Parts Express offers the Aura Standard Bass Shakers for $29.80 per pair and they offer the Aura PRO Bass Shakers for $24.88 each.

Which ones do you guys use and recommend ???

Do the Standard shakers perform well enough or are the Pro shakers required ???

This will be an experiment for me. Ill be putting them on a loveseat or, I read that you can put them on your floor joists is putting them on the floor joists a good/bad idea ???

I would recommend the pro shakers, as they can provide more shake force. I own 4 of the ast-2b-04, and have experimented with two under my overstuffed chair, one per channel of the Yorkville ap500 pro amp. While one may provide the quantitiy of shake, two shakers seem to have better linearity, less compression and seem to work better than one single one, as each one does not have to work as hard. They will also handle more wattage than they are rated for, assuming that the amp you use with them is fairly sturdy.

You could put them under the floor joists, but they would not be as effective as attacthed to a structure that has less mass ie: couch / chair. Depending on how much room you have under the loveseat, you might be able to fasten to the frame, after removing a few staples in the fabric underneath. If you have enough room, then you can mount them on 6 - 8" wide strips of 1/2" plywood, then screw the plywood to the frame under the loveseat.

I would recommend installing a set of binding posts in the couch, so that the speaker wires can be quickly disconnected, even though there are push connectors on the shakers. The wires themselves can vibrate and possibly make noise, so be sure to fasten them to the frame of the couch, where they run from the shakers to the binding posts. Banana plugs on the wires make hookup a breeze, and the loveseat can be easily disconnected for cleaning an moving.

Guest Anonymous

I have had the aura bass shakers if I remember well I purchased 32 of them from parts express had them in the couch , love seat, and recliner..used a audio control bass restorer as crossover and powered them with an adcom 545II ..remember first time I tested them out my dog hopped on the couch as he usually did while watching a movie,next thing I remember was him yelping and running out of the room.After the novelty wore out sold them all on ebay and recuped my money...now they have this other tactile transduce wich I think would be better to install and handle more power . Tony http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/CrowsonTechreview.html

How do they compare to the buttkicker from guitammmer? They don't period. That's as fair as comparing a khorn bass bin to a sealed 6" monitor speaker. The buttkicker requires mondo power, and is capable of a lot more shaking force, but you can't beat the bang for the buck of the aura bass shakers. The aura is intended to be attatched to a resonant body, while the buttkicker is meant for attaching to the floor joists / chair risers. Another known brand of shaker is the clark .

Bass shakers add a little nicity. I like them because they add a decent amount of vibration without taking away from the movie, of course this is MHO.

Great bang for the buck and easily installed. I simply tie wrapped them tothe coils of the sofa and recliners butts and backs.

someday... Got to many other fish to fry first. I would like 1 buttkicker under each center chair, I think that would give my floor some good shake. Then some auras mounted to the seats themselves.

I've felt them before, they really bring a movie to life in my opinion,