sound card...

vedge

I have had both and done extensive sound to electronic testing on both using $20K Simulation and analysis software. The SB Plantinum Live out performed the Hercules in technical spec and performance. It also seem to be quicker at sound/digital ratio translation. In and of itself it sounds better and performs better. But what do I know...I am just an MIT engineer.

i am new as you are, i am dont know which soundcard to get for my 5.1 promedias, i cant wait to get them, i had wanted to to get the Hurcules gtxp but i hear the SB live is just as good as the Hurcules, which one is better? i want the best one for the buck.

Well i bet that each one are good...but what is interesting about the game theater is the connection rack that come with it...cwm11.gif

I just wonder if i'll still be able to use it after with another sound card...sb or hercules...when i update to a new comp...or is there any other rack that i can buy around? *wonder*

The Platinum 5.1 is an IRQ hog and it MUCH MORE taxy on the CPU than the Game Theater XP. Plus, you get hardware MP3 encoding/decoding with the Game Theater XP.

I have the Game Theater XP and love it.

If your getting the ProMedia5.1's stick with the SB Live 5.1. Its not nearly as flashy and no it doesn't have hardware mp3 encoding BUT, and this is a big but, it does have a Dolby Digital 5.1 decoder on the card where as the Game Theater XP does not.

and I'm assuming that if your holding out for the 5.1's, you will acually want a 5.1 discrete output.

Bope That helps a bit.

P.S.- There is a SB Live 5.1 OEM out there now if ya don't need all the extra software and its very cheap. I got mine for $80 Canadian, so that would be around $50 US.

I just got off the phone with my GUILLEMOT rep. in regards to the lack of a Dolby Digital Decoder on the Game Theater XP and he informs me that you will get full DD through the Power DVD software. not to mention that it will soon be supporting 7.1 channel inputs such as DTS-ES, and Dolby Digital EX.

So if your main purpose for wanting the 5.1's is movies, I will retract my previous statement and recommend the XP. If you want the 5.1 for supported games however, stick with the SB.

It must be December 18 1976, cause I haven't been this impatient since I was 6 years old waiting for Christmas day.

Games are not coded for 5.1. You'll want to play at 4.1, or headphones for best effects. I believe 5.1 gaming support in SBLive 5.1 is only through their Cambridge speaker systems (proprietery jacks). None of the Cambridge PC speaker systems measure up to the Promedia.

I'll get the TBSC or GTXP anytime over the SBLive series. I've tried MX300, TBSC and SBLive, and TBSC sounds much better. The difference may not be so clear unless you have very high quality outputs like the Promedia, or better still, a high end pair of headphones like the Sennhesier HD570.