Went to the Library today!!

mandi

Went to the library for a girl scout meeting and while I was waiting I decided to check out a book. I usually use the school library so I am not at the public library often. Well, I was browsing the tables at the front where they display new material, and one table was loaded with books on tape and CD along with some classical music CDs. I had not even thought about the library having music!!!! Well, I brought home several. They had TONS of JAZZ and CLASSICAL. Will give me a chance to discover some new likes and a no cost way to discover some dislikes.

What you got in your library? Library card check!!

Your normal public libraries (not research libraries) loan out far more videotapes, DVDs, and CDs than they do books. And a lot of people go to libraries to read magazines, newspapers, or have sex in the carrels way in the back. Books are about the last things on people's minds nowadays.

My local library has quite a few CDs and every once in a while I'll find an artist to try out. I had a chance to listen to Laura Nyro (writer of "Eli's Coming" by Three Dog Night and numerous other songs). Also when I was about age 15 (many moons ago)in the days of strictly vinyl, I discovered a B.B. King album at the library - "The Electric B.B. King". I've been a big fan of King and the blues in general ever since. I now have that recording on vinyl and CD.

Well, I picked up a couple of Miles Davis CD's, one being *****es brew. I had a very hard time getting past the first track. I know he probably has others but just based on tbis I am not a MD fan.

I did pick up a couple of CDs that Reader's Digest put together. One is a collection of Waltzes, not something I would listen to everyday but enjoyable. Also picked up a couple that were only piano, very nice.

Our local public library has a 'friends of the library sale' once a year. You by a paper bag for $10 & fill it to the hilt with whatever books, tapes, records or CD's they have to get rid of. Granted, many of the records may have been abused. But sometimes you find some real gems. And in any case, often stuff that is long out of print. And then on the last day (usually a Sunday, they lower the price to $5 a bag to get rid of what's left. Look for things that you like that are 'out of the mainstream' & you'll find they have hardly been used!