yet another version of the early Khorn woofer throat, several large pics

Tom Mobley

No pic on the first post, seems the forum always eats them. Must be some trick I don't know.

After Larryclare's adventures with his Khorns that lacked low bass response I re-checked mine with a tone generator and SPL meter. Unscientific but they die at about 45Hz. Actually, no meter is required to notice this, I can easily hear the lower volume at 40, way lower at 30, nothing at all at 20. This is one channel driven with an updated HF-81.

So, tore one of them down tonight to find a couple interesting deals. I'll post a few pics of the results.

I noticed that one of the wood horns was dated in 12/59, figured they were built in late 59 or early 60. This pic is a little hard to read but the writing itself is legible on the speaker. the top line is the serial number 1517, then 12 Feb 1960, Hope Ark., signed by somebody whose initials are TC.

post-9215-13819253901672_thumb.jpg

Tom, that's wild and very interesting! I'm really pleased that my own "adventure" stiumlated your look-see. I myself could not possibly guess what the effects would be of changing any one, or any combination, of the unusual Jensens, wierd inserts, and 6" X 13" slot. Your bass fall-off means something's gotta be changed! Hopefully some of the real experts on the forum can jump in here.

Can you glue in plywood strips to narrow the slot to 3"? I suggest you call Mark Kauffman at Klipsch. I'll e-mail you his number.

Larry

Thanks, fini! I'm still voting for you for president, you know. :)

Larry, thanks for hopping in here. I was under the impression that Klipsch used the 6 x 13 slot on the early units with the Stephens Tru-Sonic driver. Having now seen the 3" motorboard mounted against the 6" cabinet, I'm wondering if this was the setup on the Stephens also. Maybe khorn58 will drop in and lend a hand. He has had more of the really old units than anybody I know of.

I might round up a a piece of real thin plywood like 1/4" or so, cut the 3 x 13 slot in it and just sandwich it in between the driver and the cabinet. it would come pretty close to what you did. I don't think I'm up for trying to patch down the size of the slot. Or I might just try running it with the 6 x 13" slot and mounting the driver directly to the cabinet like you did.

Ok, since you have your motorboard out......

I modified my motorboard when I had it out and the speaker dismounted. This is drawn from modern tuned ports. If you look at all modern tuned ports or tubes you will notice that they have a radius. I have been told by an expert that this was a major advancement in tuned port design. I am not sure of the theory.

I took a 1/2" router with a rounding bit and put a radius on the Klipschorn box side of the motorboard. This has smoothed my bass noticably.

This is a mod based on modern theory that PWK did not have. I have no idea if it is incorporated in the modern Klipschorn. Anyway, what can it hurt?

----------------

On 4/12/2004 9:49:00 AM drewb wrote:

Ok, since you have your motorboard out......

I modified my motorboard when I had it out and the speaker dismounted. This is drawn from modern tuned ports. If you look at all modern tuned ports or tubes you will notice that they have a radius. I have been told by an expert that this was a major advancement in tuned port design. I am not sure of the theory.

I took a 1/2" router with a rounding bit and put a radius on the Klipschorn box side of the motorboard. This has smoothed my bass noticably.

This is a mod based on modern theory that PWK did not have. I have no idea if it is incorporated in the modern Klipschorn. Anyway, what can it hurt?

----------------

It can hurt everything. This is a HORN (technically speaking, a trihedral, bifurcated, multiple impedance, exponential wave transmission line), not a hemholtz resonator.

And you ask "what can this hurt?" Oh great. Another Newbie who knows more than Paul Klipsch & has to ask "what can it hurt?" LMFOA. Sorry dude. IMHO, you're out of your league. PWK was alive until a year or so ago. How 'modern' does this 'theory' have to be?

A fine example of how "A little bit of knowledge can be dangerous"

...............nice pics there Tom

----------------

On 4/12/2004 12:02:47 PM Tom Mobley wrote:

Off your meds today, Artto? Lighten up a little willya?

----------------

As you have noticed, I don't have a high degree of tolerance for stupidity. You F***** lighten up! The comment wasn't directed at you anyway!

Artto.....back off. we dont need to get into any arguments on this forum today. This was an interesting modification that didnt work. We dont need to adhear to Paul Klipsch,s expieriments as the last gosple word.

No, it's not people like me asking others to lighten up that got the forum shut down, it's posts like artto's going off on people, like "another Newbie who knows more than Paul Klipsch" and "LMFOA. Sorry dude. IMHO, you're out of your league." and "As you have noticed, I don't have a high degree of tolerance for stupidity." Disrespectful, demeaning, and nasty tone. There was nothing like this in this thread till he showed up and started spewing. It would be easy to communicate the real point of his post without slamming the guy. I'm aware that artto has advanced knowledge in several areas but who needs the grief? Too bad.

Posts like that invite retaliatory, even nastier replies and that's where things start going downhill. It ain't rocket science, folks.

How about if he had posted something like this:

"that radiusing stuff would be appropriate with a Helmholtz resonator type speaker, but not necessarily good for a trihedral, bifurcated, multiple impedance, exponential wave transmission line like a Klipschorn. It might even have a negative effect."

Gee, I didn't have too much trouble formatting that actual content into a communication that wasn't a sneering disrespectful personal jab.

Have a nice day, artto. I'm sorry I made a nasty crack about you being off your meds, please accept my apologies. Obviously, I have no inkling of meds you may or may not be taking and shouldn't have made any such inference.