HELP - - NHL Center Ice - GO LEAFS GO

jagangjee

Yea, it has been 36 years since the leafs last won. The only team that has waited longer for are the Blackhawks. In fact I think the last time the Leafs won, was the last year when it was the original 6.

They did, look great last night, I hope the momentum sticks with them as they will need it on a very well rested, pollished, physical Philly team. Hopefully Mats and Nolan will return. I do agree that Domi looked awesome, he has the past three games and for a while there was the only leafs who was doing anything....not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. We'll see tomorrow night!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Picky:

They Shoot Horses, Don't They? 9.gif

A cowboy and his new bride ask the hotel desk clerk for a room. "Congratulations on your wedding!" the clerk says. "Would you like the bridal, then?" "Naw, thanks," says the cowboy. "I'll just hold her by the ears till she gets the hang of it." he he he he

jagangjee:

I see you've got a Sony 50" Grand Wega. How long have you had it and what do you think of it? I'm not a "Sony-fan" (no offense intended) but I must admit, I was VERY impressed with it at the store. I am considering one for my living room.

Tonight: Go Wings! Go Leafs!

BBB:

As usual..another good one! Thanks! 9.gif

-Picky 2.gif

picky,

I am very happy with my GWii, HD looks amazing, and so does DVD's, my only complaint is DTV, it sucks. It literally gives me a headache to watch it. I have talked to an number of people and they all say, that is what DTV looks like on a LCD that is 50", you just notice it much more since you are comparing it with HD. I don't buy it, there HAS to be a way to improve the pq for DTV on my LCD. I have calibrated the GWii to specs that people have posted on AVS and it looks better, but nothing like it did on my CRT. Initially black levels were poor, especially noticable between HD, DVD, and XBOX, a little playing around with it and all is good.

Ideally (if I had an extra $4K laying around), I would like to get the 50" Samsung DLP and compare it next to the Sony and see if there is a difference. Everyone I talk to says that DTV looks great on their DLP, not sure if I buy that or not. All in all I am very happy with it. HD looks great, and that is the reason why I bought it.

The GW's at CC are GWiii's and I have heard a lot of problems with them, that is why BB no longer carries them, just an fyi. But yea anything in 720p and up looks outstanding!

DTV, I thought meant Digital Television, but I could be wrong.

Picky,

What happened last night? I watched a little of the first period and the Wings were dominating the whole game?

Not too sure about this Leafs series, Leafs actually looked good last night, and the Flyers looked very average. IMO, Ottawa is a better team, but Philly is so good with the stick. From the looks of this series and every other playoff series, even when the Leafs had CUJO they rely too much on goal-tending, and they always have.

If the Leafs think Eddie is going to win them this Cup, they are going to have a rude awaking on Tuesday when they are down 3 games to 0.

Jabez Scratch: Ditto! 7.gif I also wish that ESPN would take their lips off of Colorado's arses!! They loose 5-2 and they're STILL heros! GEEZ, E'NUFF ALREADY!!

jagangjee:

Oh! DTV is "Digital Television"? Hmmmm. I am going to assume you are referring to standard-definition television broadcast over a digital cable or satelitte network? Sorry, no offense, but I don't agree that is actually considered "digital TV". I may be incorrect. I consider it "standard definition".

Any way, you mentioned that DTV looks terrible on your LCD Sony but it may not be an issue on a DLP set? I must tell you that I also watch standard (DTV) channels on my front projection DLP and I can attest that they sometimes look horrible! VHS videotapes are even worse! I have a 78" diagonal Stewart Greyhawk screen and even when I set the projector to show the image in its original 4:3 aspect, perky, Paige Davis ('Trading Spaces') just doesn't look as HOT as she does on a smaller television. 3.gif And in our household, all of our smaller TVs are CRTs. So, if I were you, I would not feel so bad. I don't think it's the fault of your receiver. I think it's the simple fact that your hybred screen with its emmense size and resolution capabilities is simply showing the flaws of the existing standard broadcast format. Not much can be done about that, I suppose.

I totally agree with you: HDTV is AWESOME! That is, when they actually broadcast an HD show on the HD channels (not always the case, especially on ESPN-HD). The Stanley Cup Playoffs aren't shown in HD on ESPN-HD. If ESPN thinks they are, then, they got took when they bought their equipment! 11.gif The Masters Tour (golf) was in HD the other week (on another network) and it was so clear than it was like looking out a window! 6.gif Amazing!

----------------

On 4/23/2004 10:50:34 AM jagangjee wrote:

DTV, I thought meant Digital Television, but I could be wrong.

Picky,

What happened last night? I watched a little of the first period and the Wings were dominating the whole game?

Not too sure about this Leafs series, Leafs actually looked good last night, and the Flyers looked very average. IMO, Ottawa is a better team, but Philly is so good with the stick. From the looks of this series and every other playoff series, even when the Leafs had CUJO they rely too much on goal-tending, and they always have.

If the Leafs think Eddie is going to win them this Cup, they are going to have a rude awaking on Tuesday when they are down 3 games to 0.----------------

The Wings dominated the first 10-15 minutes of the first period and then got worse as the game progressed. On the other hand, Calgary started off pretty slow and wound up getting stronger as the game went on. You can't really fault Joseph too much for either goal that he allowed-one was a screen and the other was just an awesome high snapshot. I don't know about the rest of the Wings fans on the board, but I thought the Wings looked and played in a similar fashion to the first two wins against Nashville, save the first 10-15 minutes of the first period where they dominated. They didn't look bad in the remainder of the game, but they didn't play at a high enough level.

I'm sure Saturday afternoon will be a much, much different game that last night's...but for BOTH teams. Go Wings!!!

Incidently, we watched the game on my Infocus X1 projector on an 80" screen via digital cable. I have been really disappointed with the quality of the picture the cable offers. The picture is blurry and seemingly always out-of-focus. I also get a set of horizontal shadows (for lack of better word) that travel up the screen and then start over at the bottom again. I've been told that this may be the result of a ground loop problem. I would think that cable would offer a very nice, clear picture because it looks so good on a regular television, but have been disappointed thus far.

David

David

dkp:

I could not agree with your sypnosis of the game more! I think the long break between games wrecked its usual havoc on the Wings. They historically tend to get rusty real fast in the Playoffs during extended breaks.

What you are describing are probably horizontal scan lines and yes, they usually are associated with ground-loop issues. Try plugging into a different outlet if possible, or isolate the plug using a filter/surge protector of good quality. I had the same issue when I first installed my Sharp. The lines are now gone since installing a filter by Tripp Lite. Also, be certain that your input cable (either DVI or Component, etc.) is not run parallel along any AC power lines or they may induce visible interference. If you must come near AC lines with input, output or speaker cables, cross all power lines at 90 degree angles to lessen the chance for induction.

Lots of catch up to do here,

Jabez - I agree I think the Leafs in 6 as well, I just want to see more pressure from the Leafs on offense, which I saw last night. Don't get me wrong I love my mighty Leafs! BTW, what is up with Mats, I heard ankle, knee, and thigh? I would love to see the Leafs and Wings, sorry Picky I have some dislikes towards CuJo and I am sure you know why....

Pickey - I do agree, I think it is just the limitation of the LCD (black levels), I suppose that it is something that I have to live with. After all it isn't a CRT that I am use to. As far as SD (Standard Definition), DTV (Digital Television), and HDTV (High-Definition). This is what I learned, and I could be wrong, if so please correct me as I am new to all of this. My SD channels are the channels that I get with regular cable (channels 2-65 or what ever), my DTV channels are those above 65 or whatever. I can notice a difference between these two types of channels. DTV channels are a little more cleaner and crisper than SD channels, but I could also be on crack and am imagining these things. As for the HD Channels that I get ABC, CBS, and ESPN, these three say the are in High-Definition, but I look at it as if they are HD-Ready. Meaning if any content that is "Broadcast" in HD it will come in HD, otherwise I think it may just upconvert the signal or something, but is definatly not HD.

DHP - on my TV I get blurriness if the game in not in HD. Again I think it is a limitation to the LCD, in that it cannot display the image through the pixels on the screen fast enough before the image changes. Is this what you are talking about?

Scratch: We won't be seeing the Wings go ANYWHERE if they don't start scoring in the Power Play! Good Lord, they have really sucked in the play-offs on their Power Plays! 15.gif

jagangjee: No offense taken: I totally understand why you have some dislikes for Cujo. No problem. How do you think I feel about Hasek? (long story there). And just so I don't get flamed by someone; YES! Hasek is one of the greats.

Any who, NOW I understand the differences you were alluding to in brodcasts. Yes, I too notice a difference between SD (Standard Definition) channels and the DTV Digital Television) channels. In SD, it's as I metioned in an earlier post: Paige Daivis isn;t as "well defined" as I am sure she is in real life. 3.gif But, in the HBO's, Showtimes, Cinemax's, etc. I see a very high quality picture. Not HD, but beyond SD. So, it would be interesting to compare your LCD set with my DLP proctor's picture quality on DTV. No, on HD, there is no question that it is far superior to anything else, except for the picture I get from my JVC D-VHS VCR when I show (D-Theater) HDTV-recorded movies. The image from the JVC is every bit as good as the broadcast HD and sometimes better. Plus, the sound on the D-VHS is in 6.1 rather than in 5.1 as on most DVD's.

Now, a little bit about ESPN-HD. Here is my question and the reply the ESPN people gave me via email when I asked them why the Stanley Cup playoffs are shown on their ESPN-HD channel in stretched, standard definition.

My original question to ESPN:

"I have been a Comcast High-Def subscriber now for over a year.

Why is it that you offer your Stanley Cup Playoff games on your ESPNHD

Network, yet they are consistently shown both in 4:3 aspect and in

standard definition? How do I know it is not Hi-Def? It simply does not

have the clarity of features shown by other hi-def providers, nor even

some of your own productions such as professional golf. Do you consider

pro hockey to be chopped-liver? I doubt that. My question for you is: If you are going to feature a High-Def network, then why are you disappointing your subscribers like myself who pay a premieum for this service?"

ESPN Answers - Quote: "Thank you for your e-mail. We have shared your comments with the

appropriate personnel for ESPN HD.

Currently, ESPN HD is a simulcast service of ESPN. Until ESPN HD is a

24-hour, 7-day-a-week network of original 16:9 high definition

programming, we are converting and stretching the 4:3 programming not

originally produced in 16:9 to fit the format. We are doing this for

consistency and to protect the integrity of our various feature

components, such as our BottomLine and 28/58 news inserts, and various

studio updates that will continue to be produced in 4:3 until the ESPN

Digital Center opens later this spring, even during events produced in

16:9.

Sincerely,

ESPN Viewer Response"

I thought this was a resonable answer. So, now I am looking forward to "later this spring!"

-Picky 2.gif (Sorry for the long-arse-post)