Packing boxes

kdepot

When I bought my Belles several months ago the original owner still had the original boxes. The speakers were first bought in Japan, went to Europe, and then to Indiana and finally to Pittsburgh in the boxes with virtually no damage since 1988. My problem now is that I don't plan on selling the speakers anytime soon (ever) and I have these two giant boxes taking up space in my garage. I could break them down but I would still be left with the inner packing material as well as two "big" slabs of cardboard. I can't make the decision to toss them since theve been kept this long but it's hard to rationalize the space for them. Any thoughts?

Of course, the problem then is keeping the boxes nice. I put the box for an old Thorens in the rafters over the garage. When I finally needed it, the cardboard had seriously decomposed - discolored and very brittle. Boxes in basements can attract bugs. I figured fine, I'll rent a storage room. The boxes in there deteriorated too, plus I had the sobering realization that I had spent several hundred dollars in rental to keep a bunch of cardboard that I had to throw away. What's a feller to do?8.gif

of course ,like in anywhere you store a cardboard material it has to be in a some what "dry" and moisture free area.I prefere the garage vs the basement area due to more air circulation in the garage and if there "up" off the concrete and in the air depending on your climate that seems to be the best place in my area to store boxes. I had Cornwall boxes stored for 10 years and they were perfect when I took them down. Even the styrofoam packing was in excellent shape.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've had one offer for them but it sound like the general recommendation is to keep them if at all possible. I bought the speakers locally so I don't know the answer to this question - If I decided to sell the speakers and didn't have the boxes how would I go about getting boxes this big to pack them in for shipment. I'd hate to sell them and have them damaged in shipment. I can only imagine the hassle that would be.