Quintets as rears?

WhalerCane

I have recently purchased a pair of RP-5's and I'm going to get the matching RC-3 center channel. I do not think I have space in my living room for the RS-3's and frankly, I'm over budget. Perhaps Bob G or anyone else can answer this. Can I get away with running a pair of Quintets as my rear surround speakers?

Thanks

my thumbs down is to the quintets -

a friend of mine has them as rears in his great room, and you can just tell they're missing something compared to the front soundstage. not only are they less efficient, their sound is just not full. and during most movies, they're barely audible (they're hooked to a 100x5 - no reason not to hear them more than we do)

i think they'd be perfect in a little apartment, dorm, or bedroom, but if you're putting your system together as your main HT, i'd avoid the quintets at all costs.

just my .01, but it's from first-hand experience.

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

Spend more now than later. You will want the RS-3. Why buy something for now and than buy again later because you want to tonally match your speakers. I bought the SS-1 because of low budget, but Tweeter offers a 1-year speaker trade up. I was able to trade to the RS-3 for only $100.

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

JVC HR-S3800 Super VHS VCR

Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player

Sony TC-WE425 Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3 Main

Monster m1.4 Biwire Cables

RC-3 Center

RS-3 Rear (Just upgraded the SS-1)

Whaler,

there is a current auction on eBay for the SB-2's, buy it now for 245.00. Seems like an awesome deal to me. Retail is $350. I think these would sound pretty good with your setup, but I could be wrong.

Klipsch SB-2 Auction

Or, for under $200 with shipping, the KSB1.1's are on uBid. Don't know how good a match these would be, but here's the link: Klipsch KSB1.1 Auction on uBid

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

I used to have a pair of KSB 3.1 monitors that would be a good match for you, I think, if they are still available. I seem to remember there was a 1.1 and a 2.1 version if budget is really tight but you should be able to find any of them on EBay.

I actually had mine matched to the quintets and used them as fronts with a pair of quintets at the back. The quintets took up very little space - but I never heard a peep out of them from my listening chair, so I would agree with others that they will not hack it (unless your room is very small!!

Whalercane- I have a pair of the Klipsch Synergy Series WDST SS-.5's in black if you are interested. They are in perfect condition and have been in a box for over 1.5 years now.

Please send me an email at bloomis914 @aol.com or a private message here if you are interested.

Brett

------------------

My main Klipsch system:

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7

KSP-S6's

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Monster cable 14 gauge in-wall cable

Audioquest interconnects

Niles SPS-4 speaker switch box

Niles wall plates

Niles in-wall volume controls

Marantz SR-8000

Toshiba SD-4205 5 DVD changer

Pioneer PDF-1007 301-CD changer

Mitsubishi 35" TV

Mitsubishi VCR

Pioneer VSX-608 Multi-room amp for Outdoor deck

Polk All-weather AW2's deck speakers

Panamax DBS-8 Surge Protector

Klipsch IC-525's in Master Bath

13" Sony Wega in Master Bath

1 Lava Lamp for Ambience

Fridge full of beer and plenty of Don Julio, Jagermeister and Jim Beam

Whalercane,

i currently have the quintets and i have to say they are not worth the money... if you have average to large living room or den. these may do good in a bedroom but are nor impressive anyother place. i have a new vr-4080b that is truley 110x5 and still cant get any sound. want give me 100.00 bucks for them. i still have the orginal box and everything. i am not saying these are crapy speakers just that if you have a larger listening room dont waste your time on them get the ss-1. that's what i will be buying next, oh and a dsp processor (kenwoods sucks) :-)

------------------

My HTS:

KSB 3.1 FRONTS

QUINTETS REAR

KSW-12

PINANNCLE WIDESCREEN CTR

TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

KENWOOD VR-4080B

SONY S-360 DVD PLAYER

The only time the quintets would be good to use as rears is when you're using them as mains and a center as well. Don't use with anything else, they just won't be able to keep up with the rest of your speakers.

I suggest that you save up a little and get the RS-3's. You would be regretting it later if you get anything less.

-Paul