5.1 to 3 ch or 2 ch for ht? good idea or bad?

marksdad

well most of the time i run 2 channel anyway, but for ht i run 5 channel, i know that dd and dts have distinct channels dedicated to the 5-6 channels. i guess what i am now considering is downsizing, making more room in my living room, as you can see by my sig i run all heritage, and i think that my cornerhorns will pick up most or all of the slack, i just wonder how the b&k would matrix the remaing 3 channels into the front channels, or at least using the lascalla maybe 3 channels, i have read recently that many have scrubbed thier hts in favor of 2 channel ht rigs, with alot of success and satisfaction, and so as to not loose the potentiel of my b&k would it also be possible to bridge the front and rear channels to add additional headroom to the ht experience? i just dont like wasting the b&k's potential. all ideas are appreciated, thanks in advance, i will be looking to get a few of my own answers from b&k later, but the thought just struck me and i thought i would pick a few of your fertile minds, plus it is now time for me to get a few hours sleep, thanks12.gif

While we do have a 1/2 way decent 5.1 channel HT rig, and we do watch many movies (especially Matrix type movies) using the HT rig, I find that we are watching more and more movies downstairs using the 2 channel system. A pair of K-horns and 3.5 wpc does quite nicely IMHO (and many folks who come over on movie nights)! YMMV, do so at your own risk, etc. etc. etc.

Mark

Im running 3 channel, kinda with my own idea. The Klipschorns, and TSCM Folded bass horn loaded with a subwoofer.

Ill prabably H/T the bedroom, ive tossed around a sepatate small H/T system.Then i wont have any Klipsch suffering for even power.

Every H/T ive had rgardless of what klipsch ive used the rear channel was barely used.

Klipschorns and TSCM bass cabinet for movies is fine.

Regards jim

4.gif

I am usually a contrary opinion - I enjoy movies and the setup for sound. I would not give up my 7.1 configuration (the primary 5 channels are Heresy based) with a good subwoofer. As a matter of fact, this configuration proved how valuable a low digging sub is to two channel for my ears - probably due to the extended SPL for another octave that makes it much fuller sounding.

That said I also would not give up my two channel area.

However, my HT setup was very servicable as a two channel until I began to dedicate the system downstairs (well, as others may have heard from me before, that isn't quite true - I use the two channels for some television watching but it is set up for stereo instead.

Benefits:

1. Over the years and bunches of dollars, my ear just doesn't catch the phantom center, so a center channel is vital in my movie experience.

2. Multichannel is exceptional for music, expecially with a group of people that may be wandering room to room. For room and house filling sound (for those times you are running around different areas of the house) it is surprisingly good.

3. Three channel - l/r stereo and a matrix center - is darn good and is the model I will be using in my next change in the two channel area.

4. The sub, as mentioned above, for both two channel and HT.

5. With a bit of patience and a reasonably good reciever, you can measure and set channel levels and leave it alone (at least to the same degree you do your two channel). The sweet spot is an interesting thing with the multichannel that doesn't seem to be able to nail down as precisely as you can with two channel.

6. Two rooms releases you to shop and buy for both setups - kind of defeats any 12 step program, but most of us aren't ready to reform yet anyway (geesh - look what happened to TBrennan - he is acting like the Heresy purchase was a reasonable upgrade, but watch him start to buy more stuff - he is one that will say 'I don't have a problem...')3.gif

More opnion than you wanted or deserved.

Difficult question to answer for someone else. I would say just turn off the rear speakers from the receiver and try living with that setup for a week or so. If you like the remaining sound then go ahead and ditch the rears altogether, otherwise just re-enable the rears and live with the space compromises.

Of course if you do decide to get rid of the rears then you may be tempted into ditching the receiver and going for a 2 channel / 3 channel tube amp with the money you will get from the other items. Sounds like the slippery slope to me...

my thoughts exactly guys, i would probably run 3 channel using the la as center but the cornerhorns are just so amayzing that i do think that losing the heresies to my bedroom would probably increase my overall listening experience, ill try your suggestion maxg, just seems that since i went 2 channel with my tt, everything else seems to struggle for realism12.gif

Mark, it's an interesting question. However, my take on the posts I've read in the dumping HT thread, is quite subjective. I'm in a state of ignorant bliss with two channel HT. Sometimes using a derived center and/or sub. It won't take much to see (well hear, I guess) what you are missing. There are some movies that would be pretty impressive to hear in 5.1 dolby or dts.

I've been somewhat tempted to check out the butt shakers (bass shakers) that are tiny heavyweight subs which when attached under chairs can vibrate your fanny on the really low frequency sounds. 6.gif

I'm running 5 channels HT with mains pre-out to the 2 channel rig and Khorns as mains. The back and center run of the 6 channel. No sub as it ain't needed.

For stereo use, of course, just the 2-channel is on.

Best of both worlds, IMO...

DM2.gif