RW-12 Sub directional problem

aaabbas

I apologise for the duplicate entries in the other forums. I realized I should have put this request here only after posting it in the other.

Please help. I have the following setup:

Yammy 2400

Klipsch RF15 Front

Klipsch RS25 Surround

Klipsch RC25 Center

And...Klipsch RW-12 SUB

I purchased an RW-8 SUB which I wasn't too happy with. My room size is 16x17, open to the kitchen as well. I heard the Definitive Tech's Pro Sub 200TL (12") and liked it. After I got it home, it sounded pretty nice. The sound was very full and overed the entire room. I then had second thoughts to replace it with the Klipsch RW-12, to make my complete system Klipsch. I ended up dishing out another $200 only to find out that I'm not getting the same response. I had to rearrange my furniture to hear the sub. When I move about the room, there is a drastic change where the sub impact is considerably lessoned. I didn't have this experience with the Def Tech. I have the phase at 90 degrees and crossover at 80. The sub sounds great when I'm in my sitting chair, but for everyone else, it's almost as though it's not there.

I'm wondering if I need to make some setting changes or is the RW-12 a very directional sub and maybe not a good fit for me room. I'm quite disapointed.....any advise would be VERY MUCH Appreciated.

Thanks in advance

-Andy

" My room size is 16x17. When I move about the room, there is a drastic change where the sub impact is considerably lessoned. I didn't have this experience with the Def Tech. I have the phase at 90 degrees and crossover at 80. "

Square rooms are the absolute worst for fidelity. You will find that no matter what subwoofer you buy, there will always be cancellations and bass heavy spots in the room.

If it will make you feel better, return the rw-12 and get back your def-tech.

Subwoofers reproduce low frequencies, and frequencies below 80 hz are omni directional, meaning that they are by definition non-directional.

If you really want help, then you will have to treat the room. Please post in the archetectural section, and read a few of the threads. From what you are describing, you are suffering from bass cancellations, due to the size and proportions of the room.

----------------

On 4/15/2004 5:47:54 PM michael hurd wrote:

Subwoofers reproduce low frequencies, and frequencies below 80 hz are omni directional, meaning that they are by definition non-directional. ... From what you are describing, you are suffering from bass cancellations, due to the size and proportions of the room.

----------------

I also think it's basically a typical room effect... which ALL rooms have to varying degrees and is ROOM dependent and not subwoofer dependant. Basically, if all factors are identical, both subs will produce the exact same room modes. Bass response will never be perfect in all places all the time.

You are now wondering why the two subs sound so different? Well, I noticed that you mentioned phase and rearrange furniture which will both greatly affect your performance. Also note that placement of the drivers and ports are the one which will affect the room modes and not the sub box itself. The best way to reduce the problem is through sub placement... Do you have a RS SPL meter? Try the placing the sub where you sit and measuring around the room trick.

If you can borrow both subs and listen to them in the exact same spot... the results should be consistent.

Good luck...

Rob

I have not really read this thread, but you can turn turning your sub around and face a corner. It may look kind of ugly with the wires sticking out of the back, But try it for kicks, see if it works. If that does not work, take it back. You may also wish to consdier the SVS BP1-ISD

----------------

On 4/22/2004 4:57:58 PM DiEGO10 wrote:

Try changing it for 2 KSW 12", maybe you could find a better position for both and avoid some bass cancellations!

----------------

I wouldnt recommend the KSW to anyone, esp given that the RSW is available for a couple of $ more.

Actually having two subs in different locations would make finding ideal placement and avoiding cancellations much MORE difficult than with only one sub. Finding the ideal position for one sub relies mostly the rooms modes. Two subs in different locations now have both room modes and the other subs output to balance. Not an easy task. Given aaabbas initial questions, I dont believe doing detailed room frequency response curves for two subs in multiple locations is really the solution.

Rotating the sub on the other hand, actually moves the drive components the distance of the boxs dimension... and as with any other placement adjustment, it will affect your bass peaks and nulls within the room. Whether good or bad, depends on your room.

I still believe experimenting with placement is your best solution...

Rob

----------------

On 4/22/2004 4:57:58 PM DiEGO10 wrote:

Try changing it for 2 KSW 12", maybe you could find a better position for both and avoid some bass cancellations!

Cya!

----------------

Try not to change you subwoofer for 2 KSW12. 8.gif

As far as I read, this people know much better than me. 8.gif

I can't afford buying an RW12 or something like that.8.gif

Anyways, at least now you know what you shouldn't do... sorry for the idea! 10.gif