Photo essay from Chernobyl - VERY interesting:

kenratboy

----------------

On 4/16/2004 12:09:56 PM kenratboy wrote:

It's anout 30 pages long, it was confirmed to be very much real by people on motorcycle forums that talked to her. Spend the 10-15 minuites to read through the whole thing, its worth it. And yes, they do have Kawasaki's in the Ukraine.

----------------

Yeah, I've seen this elsewhere.

I can only imagine how unreal it must be to be in what used to be a city of over 50,000 people that is now completely deserted. It is like a city that is stuck in time. There are communist party slogans painted on walls and pictures of Lenin still around!

It would be like the area that I am now living at here suddenly have to be shutdown and evacuated! This very scenario has been brought up, since there is a nuclear power plant not to far from here (Lake Anna power plant). A very similiar scenario almost occured at 3-mile Island just outside of Harrisburg, PA. Thankfully, the technology as well as the saftey policies and regulations are far better here than it was in the Ukrain. Still scary thought of what could just happen even in this area.

Well, Chernobyl wasn't an accident - it was stupidity. They shut down a bunch of active and passive safety systems and purporly screwed with the system. At Three Mile Island, it was the safety systems that kept things from going critical.

Reguardless, I am a nuclear power supporter, and when I see that nuclear plant in the Sacramento Valley sitting idle thanks to the hippies, I get ticked off, as a plant like that would produce a HUGE amount of cheap power. Remember, there are still tons of people working at that plant, because the core and everything are still 'hot', so it would be like a fully-staffed factory that didn't make anything, and the taxpayers were paying the employees!

Oh, if it was somewhat safe, I would totally go into that area with someone who knew how to travel safely around (like a scientist or the like) - I would bring my camera gear and take hundreds of pictures. I think to see the plant with my own eyes, and see the town would be amazing.

----------------

On 4/16/2004 12:56:15 PM kenratboy wrote:

Well, Chernobyl wasn't an accident - it was stupidity. They shut down a bunch of active and passive safety systems and purporly screwed with the system. At Three Mile Island, it was the safety systems that kept things from going critical.

----------------

You are correct. I just recently saw a program on the history channel about Three Mile Island and how they explained what happened there. At Chernobyl they were trying to screw around with the reactor in some experiment to see how much power they can get out of it while the reactor was barely shutdown.

However at Three Mile Island, two of the safety systems failed, and the technictions, thinking it was a coolent overpressure, shut down the pumps and such, thus nearly causing the reactor to overheat and meltdown. It was not until some of the engineers that originally designed and built the reactor finally got through to the control room and told them to turn the friggan coolant pumps back on, thus getting coolant back into the reactor. Alot was learned from Three Mile Island, hopefully making nuclear plants that much safer.

----------------

Reguardless, I am a nuclear power supporter, and when I see that nuclear plant in the Sacramento Valley sitting idle thanks to the hippies, I get ticked off, as a plant like that would produce a HUGE amount of cheap power. Remember, there are still tons of people working at that plant, because the core and everything are still 'hot', so it would be like a fully-staffed factory that didn't make anything, and the taxpayers were paying the employees!

----------------

I am certainly not against nuclear power. When properly managed, it does make for a very clean powersource. For the most part, it is a very safe and clean way to produce power. Unfortunatly, if something goes wrong, it can go wrong in a horrible way! Chernoble is an example.

There is talk of building two more reactors at the plant here in this area, to add to the two that they currently got. The plant was originaly designed to have four reactors, but only two was built at the time. Funding reasons and of course, political pressure, kept them from building the other two. The space is already there at the plant to build the two reactors. Of course, people are going to question it.

----------------

Oh, if it was somewhat safe, I would totally go into that area with someone who knew how to travel safely around (like a scientist or the like) - I would bring my camera gear and take hundreds of pictures. I think to see the plant with my own eyes, and see the town would be amazing.

----------------

I know I'd like to see it myself. Something really haunting, but fascinating about it at the same time. I wonder how many e-mails that chick has gotten from people asking if they could go ride with her into that area, so they can see for themselves. It would be wierd to stand there in the middle of that town, thinking that it used to be a bustling city of 50,000 people, and now, completely deserted - a ghost town. That is a bigger city than Fredericksburg, VA, which is about 23,000 people. Take in the immediate surrounding area, and that puts you up to about 250,000 total.

----------------

On 4/16/2004 2:08:53 PM skonopa wrote:

I wonder how many e-mails that chick has gotten from people asking if they could go ride with her into that area, so they can see for themselves.

----------------

She's attractive, smart, literate, AND cool. I'd be happy to ride through Hoboken NJ with her, let alone somewhere interesting like Chernobyl.

----------------

On 4/16/2004 2:16:57 PM Cleve wrote:

She's attractive, smart, literate, AND cool. I'd be happy to ride through Hoboken NJ with her, let alone somewhere interesting like Chernobyl.

----------------

Just the kind of woman that I like. I would certainly love to ride with her, even though something interesting like Chernobyl. Alas, she is half a world away.... 7.gif (and probably already spoken for).

I was left with a loss of words.

It is shocking and leaves one shaken.

Particularly appropriate was moving the statute

from downtown to the site of the accident of

Prometheus stealing fire from Gods and giving it to the humans.

hubris . . . arrogance . . . stupidity

- Lee

Eerie, and amazing what people will go in order to drive their vehicles REALLY fast. :)

I remember TMI very clearly. I lived an hour south of Harrisburg, in Chambersburg, and all my mom's family lives in Harrisburg. My wife, who was in 3rd grade at the time, drove right through Harrisburg that day on a field trip to Gettysburg.

Amazingly, as much that went wrong at TMI, there really was no signifgant expulsion of radioactive material. It was a very well built facility, unlike Chernyobl, which was literally a disaster waiting to happen.

Thanks, kenratboy, for sharing this link with us. I have seen the immediate devastation of war first hand... and I have walked through the ruins of Communist East Berlin in 1963 where large buildings with major damaged from WWII Allied bombings. These stark images from 20 years earlier still spoke to the horrors of war. But this photo essay of Chernobyl as a nearly intact wasteland for centuries brings home the fallibility of mankind in an age of clandestine nuclear proliferation.

Clearly its time to think clearly! =HornEd

Yes, a good link.

I'm told that here in Chicago, Comm Ed gets most all its power from several nukes. The coal fired plants are only started up in summer for the extra air conditioning load.

If so, that means the city is totally dependent on nukes. Politically, it may be difficult to switch over to any other source.

BTW, I recall from the TV program that at TMI the safety system was doing its job but the operators misinterpreted the changes as part of the malfunction. Therefore the problem was cascaded operator error.

Gil

----------------

On 4/16/2004 8:28:24 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

BTW, I recall from the TV program that at TMI the safety system was doing its job but the operators misinterpreted the changes as part of the malfunction. Therefore the problem was cascaded operator error.

Gil

----------------

There was a safety valve that did get stuck open, but the problem was excerbated due to the operators misinterpreting the changes.

Thanks for that info.

As my brain accumulates more and more information (a project of an increasingly long term - which I plan to continue for another half-century), the info gets mushed together.

The other interesting part is that surrounding towns had evacuation procedures, each to evacuate across to the other side of the river. Perhaps that was just a cynical sound bite from the TV report. Funny in any case.

Gil

thanks for the link,Ken...

i was off the forum the rest of the day checking out the pix and story!the closest thing i personally experienced was an old amusement park in new orleans that closed and had been abandoned that to go through was a surreal experience!

avman.