RSW-12 w/heresy's!

evilfrito

Good afternoon everyone. I recently picked up an rsw-12 from my local dealer, and they seem to be working nicely with my stereo setup (two '77 heresy's). The weird thing is, I have my sub set to about 44 hz. It sounds great- it almost seems like my heresy's go a little past what the specs say online. they seem to be going down to about 40-45 hz , is this possible? Using tone generators, the response seems to be the smoothest blend when I set around 44 hz. I have heard from some that the heresy's are too quiet under 65 hz however.. maybe my ears are deceiving me. Anyways- that rsw-12 is pretty good at hitting that deep bass:)

It really depends on what the purpose of you system is. For modern DVD home theater this probably isn't optimal, but for music it may work well. I think the response probably isn't what it should be crossed over that low (since the RSW-12 would only need to take care of the 20-44 Hz range) and your Heresy's are much more effective in at least the 60+ range. I don't doubt their abilities, however the ability to do something well/efficiently is a different story. I would try a slightly higher crossover frequency around the 70-80 Hz range for better balance and let each individual driver do what it was designed to do. Less strain, better/truer output, and longer life will probably result.

My simple mains have the ability to go nicely down to 30, however I never let them. That's the job of my little earthquake maker 16.gif

You have to remember that the Heresy's are -3db at 65Hz... and their lower end roll-off isn't a brickwall.

Although I don't have the frequency response with me... they are probably down ± 6db at 45Hz which would blend in pretty well with your sub's x-over... as it rolls off inversely. That is why it is often recommended to use one x-over (either the reciever's or the sub's) to define the point as it is usually designed so that the their additive response is pretty flat. As mentioned, increasing the x-over point would reduce the Heresies load and probably reduce distortion a little.

Glad those Heresys are rocking...

Rob

----------------

On 4/20/2004 3:28:10 PM CAS wrote:

My simple mains have the ability to go nicely down to 30, however I never let them. That's the job of my little earthquake maker

----------------

How do you set that on your RX-V530?

I own a RX-V640, a pair of Heresy 82' (I need to check this) and a KSW12

Thanks!