Unbelievable...

ben.

I was driving home with 4 RTR decks and two speaker systems in the truck last week, when I appraoched a house less than a mile from ours (that's like next door out where I live). I see a small sign pointing towards the house that says "Record Sale". Well, needless to say I stopped as quickly as the poor Dodge could without tubes flying all over, and pulled in the driveway. It was actually the first house we looked at when were shopping in 2000. Too many issues - trashed foreclosure, but I digress.

The owner wasn't home, but I went back the next day, and it turns out that he's been there for two years (I noticed that) and selling records the whole time (that I didn't notice!). Quite a wide variety, including a couple I had bid high on ebay and lost. A $30 bid for Getz/Gilberto #2, I picked up for 50 cents. He had a lot of good stuff cheap, and some collector stuff too. I picked up a Coleman Hawkins Living Stereo Hawk in Flight, that was my splurge, $20.

Lots of other great scores

Dylan's Blood on the Tracks

A few Sarah Vaughan

Jo Stafford (not a great buy)

Jeri Southern (that's more like it!)

Pink Floyd The Final Cut

Hendrix Are You Experienced? and Electric Ladyland

Aretha in Paris

Taj Mahal Natchl Blues Amazing!!

and bunches more for a total of $40. I had a total of $39.50, and he said, "pick out $10.50 more, that's where the 20% discount kicks in!" They'll be seeing less of me at the Salvation Army, I must say.

Popping and clicking,

Ben

Oh yeah, and a great playing copy of this for 50 cents, too. Unfreakingreal!! Allan is right about the B3. I'll have to search the archives for more Hammond recs. The whole family was digging that one!! Well, OK the dogs were somewhat noncommital.

e9_1.JPG

You can't be sad when there's a B3 in the house.

If you REALLY want to get into the B3, I'll take you down the road with some suggestions. The Jimmy Smith in your hands is really a throw-away when compared to some of the Blue Note stuff from 56-60. The fact that you're digging "Monster," means you're gonna freakin' DIE when you hear the really good stuff . . .

I can tell the material is commercially oriented, obviously. Nice reed section, though, and just swingin'! Grady Tate earned his paycheck on that one!

Rec away!! (Thanks in advance, and if you have some spares, email me.)

Just sent a clean New York "Home Cookin'" to boomac, but I'm always coming across Jimmy Smith Blue Notes!

I do have a nice BN1525, "The Incredible Jimmy Smith, vol. 3"--it's mono and close to mint--an early "Liberty" pressing circa 1966 with the "RVG" in the dead wax. The jacket has seam splits but looks OK. $15 incl. shipping via USPS with del. confirmation.

c07656xr960.jpg

IF you are into horns with your B3, the Jimmy Smith records you really want to hunt down are 1547, 1548, 1551, 1552 and 4011. These are the Jimmy Smith records that I play again and AGAIN. After those, "Chicken Shack" and "Midnight Special" are pretty close. Hell, ALL of the Blue Notes are worth checking out. I really dig the trio records A LOT as well.

B00009PN8R.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpgB00009PN8S.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

e920214rhvi.jpge382948eyik.jpge269134rhvi.jpg

Every single player who followed Jimmy Smith was influenced by him. EVERY ONE!!! He's the Charlie Parker and Louis Armstrong of the B3 all rolled into one.

Allan,

You've got mail/PM. I've said it before, but thanks for the recs. It is invaluable to have guys like you around. I never would have grabbed that record out of the bin if not for Kelly and your recommendations. The track list is not encouraging. (The Munsters!!!?)

Ben