K-77-M swap for K-76-K ?

lshannon

Lshannon.

I'm not sure what the result would be, but I do not believe it would be satisfactory.

From what I've read on Al Klappenberger's website... alkeng.com regarding his crossover replacements...

He states that the Heresy/Cornwall crossover design does not work for Heresy II or Cornwall II.

Don't know the specifics of why not, but I take that to be a fairly definitive answer. It would be interesting enough to check it out to see what it would sound like, though.

I think one of the biggest differences is the the K77 is more effecient than the K76 so doing the swap would mean your tweeter horn would play too loud in relation to your other drivers. Theoretically you could modify the filter network, but in the end you would just be dropping it to the level of the K76 and probably not gain anything (but a headache from all the effort). Just curious, what speakers are we talking about here?

----------------

On 4/22/2004 6:29:36 AM Frzninvt wrote:

The K-77M is NOT a drop in replacement for the K-76-K. I think the K-76-K can extend higher than the K-77M.

----------------

I'm sorry but what do you mean with "extend higher"... ?

Aren't the K-77-M better?

My Heresies do have the M's... 4.gif

----------------

On 4/23/2004 1:31:34 PM DiEGO10 wrote:

----------------

On 4/22/2004 6:29:36 AM Frzninvt wrote:

The K-77M is NOT a drop in replacement for the K-76-K. I think the K-76-K can extend higher than the K-77M.

----------------

I'm sorry but what do you mean with "extend higher"... ?

Aren't the K-77-M better?

My Heresies do have the M's...
4.gif

----------------

Diego,

the K77 has a top end frequency of 17kHz and the K76 extends to 20kHz.

There is not alot of musical material that the K76 can deliver that would miss the k77.

I don't think very many people would be able to discern the difference between them. It's not really a question of "better". The K77 is considered the "classic" klipsch tweeter and is the tweeter used in all the pre 1985 Heritage speakers.

On 4/25/2004 9:06:50 PM DiEGO10 wrote:

So is there any way to get those 17.1 to 20 khz?

By adding a transistor or whatever?

No, adding a transistor (or a capacitor, inductor, resistor, or transformer) is not really going to make a speaker driver play higher frequencies than it was designed to do.

The K-76 is the better tweeter but as was said it lacks the efficiency needed to work with Khorns. But it's perfect for the Heresy, Cornwall etc. I don't think it would make any sense to replace a 76 with a 77.

One could extend the top-end of a K-77 with EQ. I suppose that since the K-77 in a Heresy is several db more efficient than it needs to be that one could design a passive EQ circuit for the tweeter that would trade efficiency for extension, like the Hiraga network for the Altec 288 does.

----------------

On 4/26/2004 11:52:57 PM TBrennan wrote:

I suppose that since the K-77 in a Heresy is several db more efficient than it needs to be that one could design a passive EQ circuit for the tweeter that would trade efficiency for extension.
----------------

How can I do that with my Heresies?

Thanks!

On 4/28/2004 8:46:18 AM DiEGO10 wrote:

How can I do that with my Heresies?

The bigger question is why do you want to do that to your speakers? You have Heresy I speakers that are already designed to work with the K77 tweeter so why do want to go mucking around with it? People might be more inclined to help you in they understood what you were trying to do. Your recent posts of only one-liner questions isn't the right way to go IMHO.