Building a wall cradel for RC7 - pic and question.

m00n

So I know this does not show in great detail what I'm planning on here, but what I'm trying to get at is this.... If I build a cradle for my RC7s directly in the wall, and I angle the wall to the same angle as I'm angling the RC7s, will it benefit the sound? Will it hurt the sound? Is it simply not going to make a difference over just angling the speakers?

One thing to note here is that there will be 6" of spacing on the sides of the RC7s as well.

RC7_Inwall1.jpg

post-9291-138192541458_thumb.jpg

with this kind of installation in the wall, you cannot make a mistake about the speaker angle, or you will have to rebuild the wall.

if it doesn t improve the sound of your RC7 i don t really see the aim of your construction...ohhh...i see!!it s for the WAF:your girlfriend don t want to see anymore this big box over the tv screen?9.gif2.gif

so it seems to be for rear surround...

your actual installation seems good to me, you can angle the speakers the way you want without having to rebuild the wall cradel.

These are for side surrounds. Reason for this is because they are rear ported speakers so I need space behind them, they extrude too far into the room, I (not my wife2.gif, want to pull them into the walls to try and eliminate them from being banged into. I realize the angle is fixed but I've got it calculated to the best of my ability to point towards the center seats ear level.

Basically I want to know from someone who knows acoustics very well if this is going to sound bad putting the RC7s in cradles like this. My alternative is to leave the walls as they are, put the speakers flat up against them then tilt. I just don't want them extruding so far into the room.

m00n,

i'm obviously no expert, but i think (and i emphasize think) that as long as you have the spacing between the rear port (i think there is one) and the wall, the sound should be fine. as has been mentioned a few times, the angle is the critical part. i'm jealous of your rc-7's. i want seven of them for my 7.1 system. for now i'm living w/rb-5ii's.

m00n:

Leave it to you to re-invent the wheel! 9.gif The further you go...the behinder you get! 11.gif9.gif

You certainly do come up with some interesting innovations, my friend. 16.gif

I'll bet that artto would be a good person to bounce your idea off of?

-Picky 2.gif

----------------

On 4/22/2004 11:24:09 AM picky-picky wrote:

You certainly do come up with some interesting innovations, my friend.
16.gif

----------------

Hey what can I say, I'm a software engineer. It's in my nature to think outside the box and come up with solutions. 9.gif

How would you aim?

Aiming the HORN towards listeners ear or lower woofer or upper woofer

Why not make shelf flat....and then make experiment with what sounds best...then make a wooden wedge to go on shelf and then hold speaker at angle you came up with.....

Gonna have to hold the top edge to wall else it will topple easy....

acoustically, i don't think it will make much of a difference, so doing this for aesthetic reasons is all good...as far as your design, i might suggest going with something more box like:

/

/

/

__

..../

..../

__/

/

/

/

(ignore the dots, they're for spacing purposes)

This would be easier to build and would give you even more breathing room for your ports (especially if you angle them like you're doing). you can even leave the top of the box open into the insulation to also give the port even more breathing room.

now as far as the angle that you angle them down at, a few degrees here and there really isn't going to make that big of a difference and you've got plenty of shimmy room with 6" all around so i wouldn't worry too much about not being unable to tweak it later.

the only problem i can foresee occuring is that when you put a "box" around a speaker (especially a wooden box), you tend to get this muddiness build up because of resonations that occur in the space between the speaker cabinet and the box surrounding it. granted, your speakers will only be half way in the box but that port could possibly sound funny as it resonates in the back. or you might not even notice a difference at all.

knowing your situation, i'd just go ahead and try your idea and if it sucks, try to do it in such a way that you could just throw some drywall back on and paint over it again. with a little puddy and sanding, you'd never know you drilled a hole in the wall. and if in the unlikely chance you do have resonation problems, you might also be able to treat it with some padding or bracing or some similar combination. i've had a very similar speaker position in the past with no problems, but i must admit that it was front ported.

anyways, i vote go for it.

btw, how do you plan on doing the "edges". the view we have is looking at the side of the speaker going into the wall. horizontally are you just going to have a square corner where the indent meets the wall, or you gonna try to be crazy and have the indent gradually come out to flush with the wall (im thinking like an angle or a smooth curve).

i was just thinking that if you're up for it, instead of building it with all square corners, you could try making all the edges round. i think that it'd not only look cool, but it would provide some diffusion of sound (causing side reflections to spread out when they bounce off the round wall versus just bouncing off at the same angle).

Hey Moon, I will tell you a trick that friends of mine in the auto install business use. They take a little laser light, and mount it on a flat board or a tri-sqauare at a 90 degree angle and place it where the speaker is going to be and aim the laser at the ear of the person that they want to have the sweetest spot. Very precise.

LOL Picky.... That would be my luck.

Resonating is one of my conserns. Bruinsrme suggested that I line some acoustic foam behind the speakers... I'd rather not have to build anything into the walls, it's just that dang, if I don't they will practicly be an arms reach away from the chairs on the ends. Imagine stretching your arm out to the 11:00 position, if I did that from the a left seat, I would most likely be able to to touch the speaker. *UGH* I so wish I had about 4 more feet of width to the room.

Classic Picky, classic 9.gif

AVMan, dr.who.... My framing tallents only stretch so far you know. 2.gif. When you say rounded corners, are you refering to small rounded like how in some homes you see rounded corners on the walls or are you refrring to bigger radius' than that?

tankhokie:

Yep! That's the one. His name is "Digger" and I agree: That is one, gross commercial! Yuck! 14.gif I think m00n's avitar is cute. I just needed a demented-looking character to upstage him is all. I guess from your reaction I succeeded! Sorry, if I offended anyone. That was not my intention.